• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony Bnogo Speakers

blueflowers1

Active Member
Banned
I have a lead on a pair of these, any clues as to what they are or what they are worth? The lady said they look like durm barrels and are nick named Bnogo speakers by Sony.

Sorry for spelling a few things wrong, she said she had tried to google them and couldn't find anything... would hate to have her see my post! : )
 
Register to hide this ad
"Bnogo"? Sounds Aftrican...
"Bongo", maybe... still sounds African, but at least pronouncable.

Sorry, I have no idea about them. Drum-shaped speaker enclosures pop up occasionally... remember the Norh speakers?

norh3_2.jpg

www.norh.com
 
I remember someone did make speakers that looked like Bongos, or like a barrel. Can't recall what the h*ll they were....
 
I remember seeing an ad, but I can't lay my hands on it. What I do remember is that they were not exactly lovely to behold, but what other speaker came with a padded insert that could be popped into the top if you wanted to use them as bar stools? I would hesitate to spend much on them, though the goofiness factor might increase their value. I think you need to hear and see them, and then see if she can go as low as you can go high.
 
If the padded tops are gone, their desireablity drops like a stone in my view.
 
The SS-9500 did NOT have a bar-stool option - Sony made goofy stuff indeed but there is a limit !
 
If the padded tops are gone, their desireablity drops like a stone in my view.

I was at a club once and there was this hot girl surrounded by many suitors but when her padded top accidentally flew off the men all walked away in disgust. Sorry that is the first thing that came to my mind when I read that. But back to the speakers, talk her down on the price, take them home and give them a good listen. You have to let your ears be the judge on this matter.

Sau
 
Too early to read. Sau, after the 1st sentence I read the second as: But back to the speakers, talk her "top" down, take "her" home and give "her" a good listen. You have to let your "eyes" be the judge on this matter. I should away from you guys until after my 1st cup of coffee.
 
The novelty has value but the sound of 6, 4" full range drivers is "sonicly challenged" at best. I took the pair I had and added 6, 3/4" tweeters inbetween those 4", 10" down firing subs, added xovers and put them on casters. They turned out pretty good for my friends game room.
Here is a thread a while back with pics of them.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106055

Later DC
 
If you go to that thread and scroll down to my post, I report on the ad I was looking at when I wrote the post which said the tops were reversible with one side padded so they could be seats.
Actually, I don't think this is such a silly idea. Speakers spend a lot of time doing nothing but taking up space, so they might as well do double duty and be useful more often.
 
I've got a line on a couple of these as well, but the guy wants $600. That strikes me as a whole lot, especially considering that from what I'm reading here they don't sound all that good and would need a lot of modding. I know that it's a while back now, but does anyone remember seeing these speakers ever finish on Ebay? Maybe I can use that as a baseline if they sold for like $100-200 or so. Thanks for any help!
 
WHOA!!! $600 is steep for THAT speaker in my book! I mean it was an OK speaker but nothing that special. I got mine off ebay for like $75 then modded them with tweeters and a bottomm firing sub (see my pic here in this thread). That made them much better but still no where near $60 even at that!! They are unique- but not an idea sound platform to me!
DC
 
I agree, they would be cool to have. But not for 600 bucks. yikes. Nice for a room where it is usually background listening and you don't want the speaks to stand out.
 
Back
Top Bottom