• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony SS-M7's in S.F. Bay Area (San Jose)

Register to hide this ad
Dammit, I should have hoarded SS-Mx's when they were cheap a few years ago. Can't tell you how many I've passed on for far less than a nickel.
 
Checked these out. Unfortunately, they've got blown drivers - both tweets and maybe more - unless the receiver was bad. Cosmetically, grills have some rips and cabs some chips.

Was curious to see how they sounded after reading all the good things on them. But still don't know since these guys were kind of trashed.
 
Checked these out. Unfortunately, they've got blown drivers - both tweets and maybe more - unless the receiver was bad. Cosmetically, grills have some rips and cabs some chips.

Was curious to see how they sounded after reading all the good things on them. But still don't know since these guys were kind of trashed.

It's always sad to hear that such beautiful not to mention rare speakers have been badly treated, especially with the NLA nature of replacement drivers, and not to mention the price that was being asked for them. Sorry you wasted your time but at least you may save another AK'er the time and trouble of checking them out.
 
No, having a D&S heads up is always appreciated. That's how I got my first pair of IMFs. Doesn't always work out though, esp when the seller isn't very forthcoming on actual working and cosmetic condition. I wonder how many others checked them out and passed. My main purpose of posting was to save other AK'ers the time.

I can't see them selling to anyone unless they just wanted the cabs or were trying to make one good pair from another pair that had bad drivers. Certainly not for that price.

These had the non-donut tweets, but oddly seemed to have the later woofs.

It is too bad for the speakers themselves though.
 
Yo! I scored these pretty much based on all the enthusiasm on here.

But, I didn't notice something during the purchase and found it once I got home. The two woofers are different. One has a dust cap, one has the standard, inverted dust cap. So, I pulled both drivers -- get this, same model number on the back??! Also, not blown, the DVD player was playing some real bad hiss or something -- sound great in my system...?

So, these sound great, but seem a little "mild" in the mid-range an a bit up high too. I read somewhere about someone pulling the mid driver, then removing some of the wool to reduce the dampening in the mid which opened everything up. I removed the allen screws on the face of the mid, but it won't budge. It rotates like 1 degree, but won't come out.

I don't want to scratch the outside of the mid -- any ideas to remove?

Also, anyone got a suggestion on stands that I can just order -- not have to search ebay, etc. for?


Thanks,
Jon
 
Good for you Jon. I'm glad the drivers were not trashed after all. I wonder if the seller had his CD/DVD player hooked up to the phono input when I was there, because they sounded really blown with a lot of distortion regardless of volume.

Are the serial numbers close? That might explain the different woofers.

As far as stands, an Amazon seller is selling some Omnimount 16" speaker stands for about $20-21 after shipping. I bought those for my KLH 20's and if I had bought the Sony's, I would have tried them out with those.
 
So I got the midrange out. Just for reference says this on it:
1-504-372-11

The speaker has foam insulation between it and the cabinet, if you rotate it back and forth a bunch, then lean on it in rotation of one direction it will come out.

I removed about 50% of the polyfill material in the mid housing -- sounds totally different. Less subdued, much more open, very delicate in the mid now. I think I should add some back in, probably end up having 40-30% of the polyfill removed. This is good, because the mid was a little too subdued and recessed for me before this, now really good.

Does anyone know if the crossover actually provides the time alignment or if it's just the cabinet slope? I'm getting a bit of that spooky holographic effect that seems to be a trait of time aligned speakers, but not quite as much as with Spica or TimeFrames. Might be the lack of stands and that I haven't placed them right yet.
 
Back
Top Bottom