• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sony STR 7055

cp2buy

Super Member
Can anyone give me a little advice on the Sony STR 7055 unit. There is one available on may-b (e-bay) that i am wondering about the the quality and repair history.
 
Register to hide this ad
I've been seeing those too. I've been thinking about a 7065 which has a few more watts per channel and a couple more switches but should be about the same.

The 7065/a was TOTL for Sony from '72 to about '76? They had a four gang capacitor in the FM but used a number of ICs for MPX, tone controls, etc although the power amps were discrete components. The 7065 has both center tune and signal strength meters while I think the 7055 only has the center tune.

I always thought this was a high water mark for Sony styling - classy, understated, and with lovely wooden cases. This series had a reputation for sounding more authoritative than the WPC rating would suggest.
 
Note sure what Sony did to make the STR-7055 into an STR-7055A, but I have one and it is a very nice piece. Excellent build quality and performance. Orion shows the 7055 from '73 and the 7055A from '75. Both at $500 and 35wpc. The 7065/7065A the same years. Both at $560 and 60wpc. $500/$560 is quite a bit for a receiver in those days and the quality of these units show it. The STR-6120 @ $700 and 70wpc may have been the TOTL at the start of the new series. I just picked an STR-6200F, the previous generation TOTL receiver from Sony, which is going to EW for a recap. Will replace the STR-7055A (see pic) in my LR system.
 

Attachments

  • STR-7055A-2.jpg
    STR-7055A-2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
My personal tak is that possibly the Sony 6xxx and 7xxx may be some of the better receivers from any maker during their production period and seem to be pretty trouble free with the exception of the sticky tuning meters that seems to be thing that occasionly is mentioned. I have had the prior gen 6065 for a lot of years and it keeps on going though it has been in pretty constant use. Also have a 6045 and it is a pleasure for a smaller receiver. Like YB2, who decided to try upstream or the ring, I recently bought a STR 6120F to try. This and the 6200 are quite rare.

The layouts seem to allow easy repairs. I think there is a decent following here related to Sony and actually outside of the remarks similar to those thrown at Philips seems to be well respected.
 
Just thumbed through the service manual for the STR-6200F and noticed that the front and rear panels 'tip down' for easy access to the back and the components mounted behind them. Also, the heatsinks are modular. That is, each output transistor resides on a separate heatsink that is easily disconnected and slides out the back of the chassis. That, and all the internal shielding make this a quite well designed and built unit. Looking forward to getting it into my system for a good listen this spring.
 
Need to add my compliments to the above. I have a 7065, and a lot of other receivers from Marantz and Sansui. I bought this one and it is outstanding in regard to build and quality. It will likely last until my kids get it and sell it in a yard sale! The older Sony stuff is built like a tank, looks to be easily serviced, and was expensive when new. I think most of this early stuff would hold it's own against anybody's stuff,and you can choose the brand. I use mine every day, and the tuner section is outstanding, very sensitive. It can drive most speakers with ease, and I have lots of those to back that up.
I don't think you can go wrong with Sony, and it still has not caught on with collectors, so the prices are 'cheap'. Go for it.......ron
 
Back
Top Bottom