• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony TA-N7B VFET Amplifier Restoration

Connor G

Ear conditioned
Subscriber
Preface:

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here or on YouTube, so I wanted to share an update about a project I started back in June. Life has been pretty hectic with work and everything else, leaving me little time for any repair or restoration projects. However, I did carve out some time to fully restore a friend's Sony TA-N7B, which was a fun challenge.

To tackle this restoration, I had to head over to my friend's place and set up my workspace there. Over the course of a month or two, I made several trips back and forth to get everything sorted out and complete the job. It was a bit of a journey, but totally worth it to see (and hear) the final result!

To provide some background, my friend has been rolling through amplifiers left and right, trying to find the best mate to his B&W 801 S3 speakers. I had loaned my restored Sony TAN-5550 to him for use, and we were thoroughly impressed with the overall synergy of the setup, although we found the bass response to be somewhat lacking. This would not pose a problem with smaller speakers; however, the 801s require significant power and finesse from an amplifier in order to really open up. I casually suggested that the N7B could potentially offer an ideal solution, given its unique hybrid BJT and VFET output stage, and before I knew it, he had one delivered to his doorstep!


IMG_9940.jpeg


The example he chose was generally in decent shape. There were a few small nicks on the top edge of the faceplate, and the transformers had been repainted by the last owner rather haphazardly. Speaking of which, the previous owner had also done quite a bit of questionable work inside while swapping out the death diodes and installing new, higher-spec BJT output devices. We'll dive into that more later. The amplifier was inspected and briefly tested in his system with no obvious faults. After testing, I got the amplifier on the bench and began work.

As you can see from the preliminary photos below, the previous guy hadn't put much care or attention into the work he did. There was lots of burned flux residue on the board where he was prodding around. Not to mention all of the dust and dirt on the boards, as well as a bunch of cracked solder joints he had overlooked. It appears that on top of removing and replacing the double diode packages, he had also removed the relays in order to sand the contacts down. This didn't matter, as I was planning to swap the original relays out with new anyways.

Also note the thorough use of wire-wrap terminals in this amp. I am generally not against wire wrap terminals when they are of high quality and used in moderation. In the N7B's case though, Sony opted to use very cheap terminal assemblies that melt when even the slightest amount of heat is applied during the unsoldering and soldering process. Pair this with the sheer amount of them in the amp, and the lack of service loop in the wiring, it makes for a very difficult time for me to work with them. The terminals had to go, so after much deliberation with my accomplice, we decided that the next best thing was to use high quality gold plated cup terminals. This allows for the wires to be unsoldered and soldered from the top side of the board, if and when board removal is necessary. No more bending the board around at risk of stress cracking the wires, like what happens with wire wrap terminals.


IMG_0360.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

IMG_0372.jpeg

IMG_0370.jpeg

Seen here is another clear case of the lack of effort and care that was put into the previous work done to this amplifier. I know thermal paste is messy, but it doesn’t take much to clean up after yourself!

IMG_0405.jpeg


Left Channel "Power Amp" Board:

I started on the left channel amplifier PCB, as this was the easiest board to remove. I completed a thorough inspection of the components, as well as the condition of the board. Even though the previous soldering was a mess, I was able to determine that the circuit trace integrity was okay. I began by replacing all electrolytic and film capacitors on the board. Afterwards, I removed and replaced all diodes and transistors on the board. While I was at it, I also replaced the dual 1N4148s in series that were installed previously, in place of the notorious death diodes. I wasn't sure of the quality of parts that were used here, and I wanted to be sure that they wouldn't cause any trouble. 1N4148s cost pennies, but peace of mind is priceless! On this note, some of the things to look for if you are working on a TA-N7B are the failing fusible resistors and dual diodes. Another hidden gremlin is the foam that is used under the amplifier circuit boards by each of the relays. When this foam breaks down, it becomes corrosive and can damage the traces on the circuit boards! Such was the case with this unit. Luckily there isn't any corrosive glue used in the N7B that I've seen, so you should be safe from that thankfully.

Also replaced were the trimmers for bias and offset. The original single-turn offset potentiometer was replaced with a high quality multi-turn trimmer for more precise offset adjustment ability. Also done was the installation of a 6-pin DIP socket for the input differential package, as well as the replacement of the fusible resistors and a few key resistors in the feedback loop in favor of high precision metal film parts. Components from companies like Nichicon, United Chemi-Con, Vishay / Dale, Onsemi, and Toshiba are used on this board and all others in this restoration. No-name, substandard parts have no place in amplifiers of this caliber.

Shown below is the semi-finished product of the board, sans a few components such as the replacement output relay. The board really cleaned up well, and I was very happy with how it turned out, especially the solder side!


IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0399.jpeg


Amplifier "Connection" Boards:

Upon inspection of the amplifier, the output connection boards were found to be damaged due to careless removal and installation of the BJT output devices. The traces that supported the legs of the BJTs were mangled. The boards could have been saved, but due to the critical nature of this area, it was decided that the replacement of the boards would be the best course of action. My friend measured the original boards and replicated a new set that I then populated with new components, including the new D45H11/D44H11 BJT output devices and new KOA Speer emitter resistors.


IMG_0421.jpeg

IMG_4311.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Power Supply Filter Capacitors:

After finalizing the left hand amplifier section, I focused my attention to the filter capacitors. Sony chose to mount the filter capacitors in a 2x2 configuration directly next to each other. This made space constraints critical. See below the elegant filter capacitor mounting scheme, low impedance copper bus bars, and the neat cord laced wire loom.


IMG_0423.jpeg


As mentioned before, space is a critical factor here for finding suitable replacement filter capacitors. Luckily, new Nichicon KG "Gold Tune" capacitors were able to be sourced and they fit right into place as a direct drop-in replacement. I managed to reuse the copper bus bars for the new filter capacitor installation which turned out well. All that needed to be done was filing a small slot where the tabs of the new capacitors slide through. I also installed new polypropylene film bypass capacitors in place of the originals. All ring terminals were removed and replaced with new tin plated copper terminals for the lowest impedance connections possible.


IMG_0426.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_1329.jpeg


Power Supply Board:

After installing the filter capacitors into place, I shifted over to the power supply board. This board houses the rectifiers for all four power supplies, as well as the filtering for the two secondary supplies, circuit breakers, and rectifier snubbers. It was decided to upgrade the rectifier bridges to new HiPerFRED² rectifier diodes which necessitated a complete redesign of the power supply circuit board, which my friend completed quickly. After less than a week, I had the new power supply board in hand. After populating the board and verifying proper operation, it was installed into the amp. Note the installation of solder cup terminals, as well as new circuit breakers as the originals measured slightly poor. The power supply runs remarkably cool and stable after it was completed. After Installing the power supply board, I removed the old lamp style power cord and installed a new 2-pin IEC inlet with new internal AC mains wiring as well.


IMG_1165.jpeg

IMG_1164.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg


Soft Start Board:

The final piece to the power supply puzzle was the soft start board. This is a small board that is buried in the bowels of the amplifier, between the two heatsinks - Easy to miss if you don't remove the faceplate! This board houses the soft start circuit that consists of a pair of high power resistors, thermal fuse, and shunting relay. After the power switch is pressed, inrush current is limited by the two resistors. After a short amount of time passes, the relay engages and shunts the resistors out to allow full power to pass into the amplifier. There is a small thermal fuse located between the resistors that acts as a failsafe incase the relay fails to pull in. The original relay is a chinsey little SPST package with a very small contact area. A drop-in replacement was going to be used until this was noticed. We decided it would be best to design a new circuit board in order to accommodate a new - extremely overkill - relay to replace the original. So my friend went back to KiCad to design a new board around the Panasonic SP2-DC24 DPST relay. If you couldn't tell, I need a real expert to do the heavy lifting for me, like designing new boards :) After I got the board, I did the grunt work of populating and installing it. It turned out great!


IMG_1147.jpeg

IMG_1439.jpeg

IMG_1202.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Socket Boards:

Another hidden part of the N7B are the socket boards. These are the boards that the TO-3 sockets are soldered on, which the VFETs then mount to. These boards also carry the extremely critical fusible resistors which are on the gate of each VFET. These resistors must be replaced due to the unstable nature of older fusible resistors. After removing these boards, I thoroughly cleaned them and replaced the resistors. After getting that done, I mounted them back onto the heatsink very carefully. Extreme care must be taken when tightening the outputs into place. These sockets are made of bakelite which is very brittle.


IMG_0457.jpeg

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_4312.jpeg


Right Channel "Power Amp" Board:

Moving along to the right channel amplifier board, I completed the same comprehensive restoration as I accomplished on the left channel. Countless parts were replaced, and the board was reflowed and cleaned to look better than when it left the factory. Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol is your best friend when it comes to defluxing circuit boards that are as bad as these were! After the board was complete, I built up the second connection board, and got them both installed into the chassis and wired up.


IMG_1350.jpeg

IMG_1360.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

I was very excited at this point! Both amp channels as well as the power supply were done and just needed testing and adjusting!
 
Last edited:
Final Tests and Adjustments:

After getting every board reinstalled, I neatened up all of the wire looms and verified I had all of my wiring correct. I then reinstalled all of the outputs onto new Bergquist silicone thermal pads. I installed new screws and step washers onto the BJT outputs as well, as the previous guy had butchered most of them. After thorough testing and adjusting, I had proper rail voltages, bias, and offset on each channel. Also shown is the new internal speaker and input wiring, as well as the new RCA jacks and binding posts that were mounted on new custom waterjet cut adapter plates.

The silicone thermal pads make a huge difference when it comes to ease of assembly, aesthetics, and thermal performance, especially when compared to the globby mess that was here from the previous guy. As mentioned before, Bergquist silicone pads were used, which are one of the best thermal interface options you can buy. They're a bit pricey, but well worth the cost of entry. Make sure to gently and evenly tighten all mounting hardware during installation as the pads are easily cut by over-torqueing.


IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1395.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

IMG_4319.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is a quick thermal shot of the amplifier during the adjustment procedure. Both channels were running warm and evenly.

20240707T165447.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Reassembly and Cleaning:

After verifying correct operation, I carefully reassembled the rest of the amplifier which included the front shrouds, sideburns, and the top and bottom plates. Each piece got a thorough cleaning with hot soapy water, followed by a gentle polishing. The faceplate was the last piece to the puzzle. It has two solid cast aluminum accent vents which are screwed to it. Both of these pieces were removed and thoroughly cleaned and scrubbed with hot soapy water. Dust and grime likes to stick in the textured surface, making it look dull and dirty. While these pieces were removed, I gained access to the otherwise hidden parts of the faceplate that needed extra elbow grease to get clean.

After getting the faceplate clean, I followed it up with a gentle application of Simichrome polish to remove all of the stubborn water marks that had baked onto the faceplate over the years. Simichrome is a great option for this job, but you must be very careful not to damage the anodized layer. Essentially wipe on and wipe off. Do not polish one area for too long!


IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

Here are a few shots of the faceplate before and after cleaning and a gentle polishing. Cleaning is always so satisfying, especially the removal of tough stains!

IMG_0521.jpeg

IMG_0522.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg


After getting the amplifier reassembled and under some very flattering lighting, you can really appreciate just how gorgeous these amplifiers really are. There is a special sort of understated elegance and a brutalist character that comes together to form the look of this amplifier. The exposed transformers and filter capacitors matched with the solid aluminum sideburns and gunmetal finished faceplate really compliment one another. I also love the attention to detail like in areas where Sony used solid billet countersunk washers and hex screws on the top plate. The metal sideburns also act as great handles to help pick this behemoth up :)


IMG_1418.jpeg

IMG_1419.jpeg
 
Last edited:
The Finishing Touches:

During my final visit, I had to make some finishing touches to the amplifier. Included was the replacement of the lackluster ground connection points on the amplifier boards. Sony used a large ring terminal that sat around a singular post that jetted up from the board. They relied on solder to fill in a large area which in my opinion seemed like a major afterthought. These connections were replaced with large 12GA solder cup terminals which required the PCB to be carefully drilled to fit into place. You can see these terminals toward the rear end of each amplifier board.

We also installed new input differential packages to replace the original Sony 2SK97 - These really improved the DC offset stability and sonic performance of the amplifier.


IMG_2090.jpeg

IMG_2091.jpeg

IMG_2092.jpeg

IMG_2093.jpeg

IMG_2095.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Conclusion:

After adjusting and testing, I found THD+N was down around 0.002% on each channel which is well below Sony's rated THD figures. We were using a QuantAsylum test rig which wasn't set up in the best environment, but it's what we had to work with. We installed the amplifier into the system and let it burn in for a while before listening. This amp runs very cool when idling, especially since we lowered the bias to ~40mV, which seemed to be the best spot according to the distortion figures we were seeing.

After letting the amplifier run for a while, we took a listen and were blown away at what we heard. Everything we were looking for was there. It really did strike the perfect balance between the Kyocera A-910's authoritative, controlled low end, and the TAN-5550's effortless and clear midrange and top end. Not a hint of harshness either, even when pushed. I have to admit I was enthralled with what I heard on every song we threw at it. I had never heard the 801 S3's sound as cohesive and controlled as I have with the N7B. This amp is seemingly in a league of it's own, even when compared to many flagship offerings of today. Saxophones and marimbas, like in Philippe Chretien's "Champagne", had an organic and ethereal texture and nuance to them that made my hair stand on end. Snaps and snare hits popped out of the stage with laserline precision. Listening to Buddy Guy's "Anna Lee" revealed just how resolving this amplifier is. Vocals and breath decay beautifully, and have an extremely satisfying timbre. The atmosphere of the recording is presented without a single gap in the stage - close your eyes and you are there! The metal dome tweeters in the 801 S3s are extremely unforgiving, and will make it obvious when your source material and signal chain are lacking, and this was one of the first times that I wasn't reaching to turn down the volume after a few hours of listening - on the contrary I kept wanting to crank the volume up!

Needless to say, I am now passively looking for an N7B for myself. I am not in a position where I will have time to work on or even listen to my own, but if one comes up, I might not be able to say no. Recently, I purchased a pair of Sony's TA-N900 monoblocks which I am excited to find time to work on though. Hopefully these can tide me over :angel:


IMG_4318.jpeg

IMG_4317.jpeg


Thanks everyone for following along. I wish I could have made this restoration into a video, but as I've stated before, I am not in a great spot to do so currently. I promise I will be back in full swing as soon as I can. Perhaps the TA-N900's will give me the motivation I need! I'd like to thank my great friend @skem for allowing me to work on his new pride and joy. I am truly grateful to have been able to work on one of the best amplifiers to come out of the height of the HiFi golden age.
 
Last edited:
I am the unworthy owner of Connor’s gloriously rebuilt N7B. As he mentioned it is paired with film-recapped version of the B+W Matrix 801 series 3. On the front end, I’m using a vintage PMD-100/PCM63P-Y DAC.

This N7B comes at the end of a long line of amplifiers that have attempted to power this chain: Ayre-MXR monoblocks, Pass XA30.8, Pass XA25, Nagra VPA 845-tube monoblocks, Luxman M-10X, Luxman 595ASE, AGD Audion, Kyocera A-910, and Sony TAN-5550. The N7B bests them all. The quality of the N7B’s sound is perhaps best described as “natural clarity with authority.” The Nagra VPA also achieved clarity with authority, but the tonal response was V-shaped making for a fun time, but it didn’t last more than a week. N7B is more realistic, and splits almost right in between the A-910 and the 5550 in tonal quality. The A-910 has heaps of raw grunt, but while glorious in its own right, the Kyocera is unquestionably warm and a bit smooth by any objective standard. Kyocera is a feel good music machine. By contrast, the N7B’s baby brother, the all-VFET 5550, has crystalline clarity and speed that is addictive and illuminating, but it doesn’t have bass authority to really groove with the music. The restomod N7B finds that middle ground, and while yes, it gives up a little clarity and a little bass grunt, it doesn’t feel like a compromise. I want for nothing. The sound is among the most cohesive I’ve heard. It can readily reveal small changes in cabling, resistors, etc. It throws a big, dimensional sound stage, and sound is satisfyingly fast and tonally balanced.

N7B does have a little color—a slightly wet inner warmth or naturalistic SET-like coloration that may be characteristic of even order distortion, but it still has solid-state clarity yielding 0.0028% THD. It isn’t harsh. The AC/mains rectification harmonics on our redesigned power supply are still measurable at -87 dB, but I don’t get audible hum. There might be a little mixing producing some IMD that we could engineer away with some tuned filter caps: a future goal—but acoustically I don’t notice any problems.

The amp’s low distortion, when combined with the excellent driver control over the whole range of frequencies means N7B is in no way a genre-specific amp. It handles everything I’ve thrown at it. You can play it loud without noticing. Upright bass shakes the room at the seams. Vocals sung in a church decay beautifully. Snaps and claps are sharp and startling. This amp isn’t the last word on texture, but there’s plenty for my taste—and indeed, I probably wouldn’t want much more. For a while I thought N7B lacked a touch of vocal clarity, seeming to have soft fricatives, but changing my interconnects from OFC to OCC brought most of that back (maybe a bit too much so for my bright speakers).

Some big monterous amps, like the Luxman M-10X, do many of those detail things and yet are totally dead and lacking in PRaT. Not so with the N7B. The bandwidth and feedback levels are very good, giving a natural timbre, stage, and solid PRAT. It seems faster than any Pass amp. Probably a bit more bandwidth would lead to an improvement in image precision and fricative timbres, but it does so much better than most amps in so many ways that it seems foolish to complain—and realistically my DAC (limited at 48kHz) is probably the limiting factor in the high-frequency response.

At the end of the day, I find I really have hard time identifying a meaningful shortcoming in the N7B. For this chain, it is now the other components that need upgrading before I have any hope of finding this amp’s limits. But why bother? The music is soooo good, so alive, I just don’t see anyway reason to think about these things.
 
After testing and adjusting the amp, I found THD+N was down around 0.002% on each channel. After installing and letting it burn in for a while, we both listened and agreed it’s the best amplifier we’ve heard in his system by a significant margin. He’s had many multi-kilobuck amplifiers from the likes of Luxman, AGD, Nagra, Pass Labs, and others through his hands, and this one is the keeper. And I have to agree. After hearing it, I am soon to be on the lookout for a clean example for myself. VFETs truly are the best output device I've heard - and thankfully the N7B is no different.

View attachment 3361214

Thanks for reading along! I wish I could have made a video out of this restoration, but time and space didn’t allow for it. After about five months of use, it is still being used every day and making beautiful music.
Nice and clean work as always Connor.
Congrats!

@skem, congrats to you as well. The N-7 is a great amp. It is truly a work of art and glad to see another one saved.
 
I am the unworthy owner of Connor’s gloriously rebuilt N7B. As he mentioned it is paired with film-recapped version of the B+W Matrix 801 series 3. On the front end, I’m using a vintage PMD-100/PCM63P-Y DAC.

This N7B comes at the end of a long line of amplifiers that have attempted to power this chain: Ayre-MXR monoblocks, Pass XA30.8, Pass XA25, Nagra VPA 845-tube monoblocks, Luxman M-10X, Luxman 595ASE, AGD Audion, Kyocera A-910, and Sony TAN-5550. The N7B bests them all. The quality of the N7B’s sound is perhaps best described as “natural clarity with authority.” The Nagra VPA also achieved clarity with authority, but the tonal response was V-shaped making for a fun time, but it didn’t last more than a week. N7B is more realistic, and splits almost right in between the A-910 and the 5550 in tonal quality. The A-910 has heaps of raw grunt, but while glorious in its own right, the Kyocera is unquestionably warm and a bit smooth by any objective standard. Kyocera is a feel good music machine. By contrast, the N7B’s baby brother, the all-VFET 5550, has crystalline clarity and speed that is addictive and illuminating, but it doesn’t have bass authority to really groove with the music. The restomod N7B finds that middle ground, and while yes, it gives up a little clarity and a little bass grunt, it doesn’t feel like a compromise. I want for nothing. The sound is among the most cohesive I’ve heard. It can readily reveal small changes in cabling, resistors, etc. It throws a big, dimensional sound stage, and sound is satisfyingly fast and tonally balanced.

N7B does have a little color—a slightly wet inner warmth or naturalistic SET-like coloration that may be characteristic of even order distortion, but it still has solid-state clarity yielding 0.0028% THD. It isn’t harsh. The AC/mains rectification harmonics on our redesigned power supply are still measurable at -87 dB, but I don’t get audible hum. There might be a little mixing producing some IMD that we could engineer away with some tuned filter caps: a future goal—but acoustically I don’t notice any problems.

The amp’s low distortion, when combined with the excellent driver control over the whole range of frequencies means N7B is in no way a genre-specific amp. It handles everything I’ve thrown at it. You can play it loud without noticing. Upright bass shakes the room at the seams. Vocals sung in a church decay beautifully. Snaps and claps are sharp and startling. This amp isn’t the last word on texture, but there’s plenty for my taste—and indeed, I probably wouldn’t want much more. For a while I thought N7B lacked a touch of vocal clarity, seeming to have soft fricatives, but changing my interconnects from OFC to OCC brought most of that back (maybe a bit too much so for my bright speakers).

Some big monterous amps, like the Luxman M-10X, do many of those detail things and yet are totally dead and lacking in PRaT. Not so with the N7B. The bandwidth and feedback levels are very good, giving a natural timbre, stage, and solid PRAT. It seems faster than any Pass amp. Probably a bit more bandwidth would lead to an improvement in image precision and fricative timbres, but it does so much better than most amps in so many ways that it seems foolish to complain—and realistically my DAC (limited at 48kHz) is probably the limiting factor in the high-frequency response.

At the end of the day, I find I really have hard time identifying a meaningful shortcoming in the N7B. For this chain, it is now the other components that need upgrading before I have any hope of finding this amp’s limits. But why bother? The music is soooo good, so alive, I just don’t see anyway reason to think about these things.

This is an audiophile post worthy of audiokarma.
 
Nice and clean work as always Connor.
Congrats!

@skem, congrats to you as well. The N-7 is a great amp. It is truly a work of art and glad to see another one saved.
Thanks Peter. I heard that N7B needs to be limited to loads above 4ohm. What’s the issue here? Was it current draw at higher volumes pushing the original BJTs outside the area of safe operation? Or is it more a degradation of audio quality? Would modest volumes on an efficient speaker that dipped down to 3ohm really be bad?
 
Thanks Peter. I heard that N7B needs to be limited to loads above 4ohm. What’s the issue here? Was it current draw at higher volumes pushing the original BJTs outside the area of safe operation? Or is it more a degradation of audio quality? Would modest volumes on an efficient speaker that dipped down to 3ohm really be bad?
It is both actually.
The SQ starts to suffer especially if the load is very non-linear. The best I can describe my interpretation of the TA-N7 sound is that it’s 3D sound image is forward. Not deep and not super wide, at least in my setup. It is similar of what one would experience at a movie theater visual 3D where the screen visual effects come towards you.
That experience starts to fade away with more demanding loads. That amp would really blow you away if you had it hooked up to some 8 ohm or even higher speakers.
The original BJTs were undersized. Remember that this is rather a BJT amp than a vfet amp. Yes hybrid with the vfets “assisting”.
With the new BJTs, replacements in place, the amp should be a lot more reliable. If you need to push 4ohm loads it should be fine especially if there are no wild swings below that, but as I said, the amp really shines with less demanding, efficient speakers.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Peter. I heard that N7B needs to be limited to loads above 4ohm. What’s the issue here? Was it current draw at higher volumes pushing the original BJTs outside the area of safe operation? Or is it more a degradation of audio quality? Would modest volumes on an efficient speaker that dipped down to 3ohm really be bad?
What impressed me was that even when driving your 801s, it only ever got warm. No crazy amount of heat dissipation, even in an area with little airflow. Static impedance ratings of speakers are almost always misleading. Rarely will you find a speaker that adheres closely to its rated impedance, so you always have to be careful with what you hook up. With that being said, it never sounded strained when running the 801s, granted, we weren’t trying to knock the walls down ;)
 
Back
Top Bottom