• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony TC-377 Power Connector

Mike Schmidt

New Member
I was recently given a TC-377. The late owner's wife didn't include the power cord and had no idea where it might be, but she says it's working fine.

It's a three-prong connector on the machine, but not the standard type like you see on the back of a computer or other "modern" equipment.

Anybody know if the connections are the same? If I connect AC to the two lower prongs, assuming the third, middle prong is the ground, does that sound reasonable?

If not, anybody know where I might go to find out?

Anybody got a cord?

Thanks!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Sorry it's not a better shot, but it's a dim room, hand-held camera, etc.

The upper, middle pin seems to be labeled "CM." Only other labeling on it looks like a brand name or something.
 

Attachments

  • Sony_Power.jpg
    Sony_Power.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 43
Don't know if it made it on my first try. Anyway, sorry for the quality, but low light, hand-held camera, etc.

Middle pin seems to be labeled "CM" (common? as in ground?)
 

Attachments

  • Sony_Power.jpg
    Sony_Power.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 24
Not sure what that means...

I guess I'm wondering if I just hook the "main" two leads to the lower two prongs, will it work?
 
Last edited:
AP is Asia Pacific. That center pin should be ground but you could take the back off and see where it goes to.
 
I see. I looked around online and saw several panels on that model and that one did look like the US panel, but I agree, it IS different from what appears normal. Also, it's been used in WI for years.

But then, this is probably a late '70s model, too, so who knows if there was a standard. But I though that the center was ground, so I'll see if I can figure it out by opening it up.

thanks
 
The only reason I mentioned it was an AP model is that, from googling, some use 220V but as you said it was used in WI maybe it will work fine.
 
Once you have verified the wiring arrangement, you might consider replacing the existing connector on the TC-377 with an IEC 60320 type one. By doing that you will find it very easy to find a power cord for the unit since the IEC standard is widely used to provide compatibility in worldwide markets. The attached link shows the type of connector I am suggesting.

http://www.interpower.com/cgi-bin/ic.cgi/p30list2.p?w_type=inlet
 
The IEC you're talking about... is that the one you see on computers, audio amplifiers... pretty much everything these days? I'll look it up, but I'm betting that's what you mean. And a good idea to replace with that. I have several of those power cords laying around.
 
The IEC you're talking about... is that the one you see on computers, audio amplifiers... pretty much everything these days?

Yes, exactly. The cords for this type of power connector (IEC) are available everywhere and are very inexpensive. To me it makes little sense to spend a great deal of time and money trying to find a cord that will work properly with the original power connector.
 
Just to let you know, I haven't yet had the chance to try anything on that machine. I am basically home only on weekends and I'm afraid that this is a winter activity. In summer weather, I spend as little time in the basement workshop as possible. But I'll check in when I try it and let you know how it worked out. Thanks for the info.
 
I have similar problems with my basement workshop. In spring and fall it becomes a disaster area of new acquisitions and half done projects, until the weather is either too hot or too cold to be outside much.
 
The service manual is on hifiengine. It shows the middle prong being tied to ground
Capture.JPG

You should be able to confirm this externally with a DVM since the two hots are broken with the on/off switch it appears. I looked around the web and couldn't find anything that would mate with your original pins.
 
Back
Top Bottom