magnostones
New Member
Hi !
Just finished a overhaul of a TC-399 i just acquired, took it all apart and lubed everything, changed the belts, cleaned monitor switches, pots, idler wheel, heads, captsan and pincher wheel (all cleaning was done using Isopropanol alcohol). Mechanically it works great !
Only problem, right channel is lower than left channel, I hear it and I see it on the vue-meters. I checked my inputs and checked that output are properly amplified, I can also hear the difference in my headphones.
The problem is there when playing pre-recorded tape and also when monitoring tape while recording.
Monitoring input is fine.
I have a suspicion for the volume pot but I already cleaned that pretty well, any ideas where that problem might come from ?
Also when testing recording, it was really scratchy at first but all of a sudden everything became crystal clear and the recording got perfect, what could explain that ?
Thank you in advance,
P.
Rennes. FR
Just finished a overhaul of a TC-399 i just acquired, took it all apart and lubed everything, changed the belts, cleaned monitor switches, pots, idler wheel, heads, captsan and pincher wheel (all cleaning was done using Isopropanol alcohol). Mechanically it works great !
Only problem, right channel is lower than left channel, I hear it and I see it on the vue-meters. I checked my inputs and checked that output are properly amplified, I can also hear the difference in my headphones.
The problem is there when playing pre-recorded tape and also when monitoring tape while recording.
Monitoring input is fine.
I have a suspicion for the volume pot but I already cleaned that pretty well, any ideas where that problem might come from ?
Also when testing recording, it was really scratchy at first but all of a sudden everything became crystal clear and the recording got perfect, what could explain that ?
Thank you in advance,
P.
Rennes. FR
Last edited: