• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soundbars good or bad for audio world ?

I’ve had my Sony soundbar with my tv for about 8 years now could be longer. It was one of Sony’s first or second year sound bar with wired sub woofer. I think it had a 8 array of speakers not that big . Mine actually sounds quite good with music. I am using a PS3 for the audio and hdmi cable. I was kind of shocked has a nice room filling sound for what it is. The new ones have to be pretty shocking I’m assuming. I’ll make a video lol like I always do. I think it’s good for what it’s made for small space and way better sound than the small flat tv speakers built in.
Maybe except for the Sony’s and other makers with larger speakers built in. My sound bar and a stock photo of a Sony tv.

C8F6C38E-5835-44B6-98E9-277CB2DE46CB.jpeg AB90F75A-3F5E-4CA0-AC29-1E7FB0AA08F2.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I’ve had my Sony soundbar with my tv for about 8 years now could be longer. It was one of Sony’s first or second year sound bar with wired sub woofer. I think it had a 8 array of speakers not that big . Mine actually sounds quite good with music. I am using a PS3 for the audio and hdmi cable. I was kind of shocked has a nice room filling sound for what it is. The new ones have to be pretty shocking I’m assuming. I’ll make a video lol like I always do. I think it’s good for what it’s made for small space and way better sound than the small flat tv speakers built in.
Maybe except for the Sony’s and other makers with larger speakers built in. My sound bar and a stock photo of a Sony tv.

View attachment 1618970 View attachment 1618971
Had no idea sound bars have even been sold for that long , I remember those Sony TVs and I couldn’t afford one but the speakers look amazing on them . Probably can still use tv speakers with optical cable .
 
There’s a lot of posts in here that make it seem like television speakers recently became crappy. I’ve been using external amps and speakers for television since about 1990. And my current flatscreen has better speakers than any of my CRT televisions did.

My parents have a soundbar mounted under the television. They don’t really have anywhere to put speakers in their living room and it sounds fine for all the Big Bang Theory marathons and DVR recordings of Pawn Stars and Nailed that get watched there.
 
I though about this again. If the sound bars get people to listen to music, then it's a good thing.

... I remembered that I know people that listen to music / radio on their TV but don't even have a sound bar.
 
I had an M&K soundbar, quite small, LOADED with quality drivers. Can’t remember the model number, and never had a proper listen because one driver was seized.
That’s all.
No more experience with them than that, so I’m moving on to silence now.
 
I though about this again. If the sound bars get people to listen to music, then it's a good thing.

... I remembered that I know people that listen to music / radio on their TV but don't even have a sound bar.
If it’s a stepping stone to real speakers and home audio sales picking back up, then It’s not a nail in the coffin of audio it’s a Lifeline . Sad that there were stereo shops on nearly every corner during the golden age of audio, today people like my mom think speakers are obsolete . She says what is wrong with just using tv speakers ?? Well I’d rather use pc speakers or a sound bar then dreaded tv speakers , some models of flagship tv have good speakers but lower tier tv I have owned are dreadful .
I had to hook a 22 year old surround htib stereo system to my old tv downstairs and a mini sub. The result is something similar to a large soundbar. But takes substantially more space up.
Had no idea m & k made soundbars they also make subs ? Still in business?
 
Last edited:
Ahh both my hdTVs have terrible speakers. More of the less because they are entry level to mid range Sony. My dads Samsung has very good speakers but screen is dying . Massive projection TVs had decent speakers .
The one I have now is a Samsung, and yeah, the speakers are better than the Sony we used to have. Not that I use or used the built-ins too often. But enough to note the difference.
 
The one I have now is a Samsung, and yeah, the speakers are better than the Sony we used to have. Not that I use or used the built-ins too often. But enough to note the difference.
Soundbars are probably a upgrade on these old boombox shelf system speakers .
If not better sounding simply smaller ??
7E7A0D33-3002-457E-B5E8-876A839306E5.jpeg F863AE4A-DCD5-4E6F-832C-381270F87187.jpeg 897CE624-3F77-49D3-B24D-83D86BAEBE44.jpeg A1CB2E6F-2CF3-444B-BAA4-7628B083640D.jpeg 616A96CB-4748-4FDA-BA38-F5F098859220.jpeg
These leave a lot to be desired ....
 
Sound bars are basically used to replace the speakers in your TV as most built in tv speakers are just mediocre.
 
Sound bars are basically used to replace the speakers in your TV as most built in tv speakers are just mediocre.
Yeah sound-bars are hardly cinema quality . But are a huge improvement on non - existent tv speakers . Some of the first plasma and flat screens had decent speakers ... though still sub par . Those models are long gone .
Ohttps://www.google.com/shopping/pro...-LcOVBgg,prmr:1,pid:18109737656900510388,cs:1
Soundbars are dirty cheap , no wonder they sell so many of them .
Some models are over $1400 though, none of my Sony tvs sound good.
 
Back
Top Bottom