• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Source for a strobe lamp for my Sansui SR-838?

tlarwa

Vinyl Lover
Anyone know where I can get a neon lamp for the strobe on my SR-838? The Sansui part number (from the service manual) is ne-2huwsa-8.

Thanks!

Tom
 
Register to hide this ad
The short answer is you can't unless you scavenge one from another Japanese turntable. The NE-2HU is the super high brightness version of the venerable NE-2 neon bulb. Your best bet for a new bulb is an NE-2H which is the high brightness version. If you use the NE-2H, replace the 10K ohm resistor with a 30K ohm, 1 watt resistor or the bulb will not last for very long.
Rick
 
Check the higher voltage capacitors in the strobe power supply first, the lamp may be fine.
Can anyone help me identify which capacitors to check? I have the schematic and the service manual and would gladly email the .pdf to you. I see the 10kohm resistor mentioned in post 3, but I'm not sure which caps relate to the strobe power supply circuit. I really need to get the strobe working so I can set the speed properly. Any help is appreciated!
 
I also need to know the amperage of the NE-2 neon bulb in case I need to replace it. Seems they come in .7mA and 1.9mA versions. I assume I need an orange neon bulb, correct?
 
Check the higher voltage capacitors in the strobe power supply first, the lamp may be fine.

Aren't neon strobes wired directly to 120V? They'd have to be, in order to flicker at the correct frequency. A capacitor would imply DC, which neon lights are not.
 
Last edited:
Disregard the previous mention of checking the capacitor voltage. The service manual shows two schematics; the rest of the world and then the Japan only one. He was looking at the wrong schematic. The resistor in question is R50, 12K ohms, 1 watt. With the POWER OFF AND THE TURNTABLE UNPLUGGED FROM THE AC LINE, verify the resistance with an ohm meter. If good, power it up and measure the voltage across the neon strobe bulb. It should be about 60-70 volts AC. BE CAREFUL!!! You are working with AC line voltage here. Here is the safe way to do it. Do not use meter probes. Power off the turntable and unplug it. Connect meter leads across the neon bulb using clip leads. Set voltmeter to measure AC volts. Power up and read meter. Power turntable down again BEFORE removing clip leads.
You want the 1.9 ma. neon. That is the NE-2H I mentioned previously and will REQUIRE changing R50 from 12 K ohm to 33K ohm, 1 watt.
Rick
 
Aren't neon strobes wired directly to 120V? They'd have to be, in order to flicker at the correct frequency. A capacitor would imply DC, which neon lights are not.
That's true for a non-quartz PLL turntable.
Quartz PLL turntables' have the strobe lamp timed by the internal quartz clock and HV dc source.
 
Can anyone help me identify which capacitors to check? I have the schematic and the service manual and would gladly email the .pdf to you. I see the 10kohm resistor mentioned in post 3, but I'm not sure which caps relate to the strobe power supply circuit. I really need to get the strobe working so I can set the speed properly. Any help is appreciated!
PM Sent.
 
Back
Top Bottom