• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker options Yamaha C-4 and M-2 combo

Mr. Yamaha

Not so much Yamaha lately...
Hi there, I have been very pleased over the last 2 years with my Yamaha NS-200M (http://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/speaker/ns-200m.html) speakers driven by my C-4 and M-4 combo. I recently switched to a Yamaha M-2 (puts out 2 x 240 WPC at 8 ohms) and I have the feeling the NS-200M are to light for this beast and that the M-2 deserves something 'better'.

Any experiences on a good match or suggestions?

Mainly looking for (vintage) towers which can handle the 240 WPC, but also consider bigger Yamaha's like (NS-670, NS-690 (I, II, III), NS-500 or even NS-1000).
 
Register to hide this ad
---------------------- Yamaha-----------------------------
 
One that gets overlooked here in the US is the NS-890 since it is not as common here. Just look at all the recommendations for the 690/1000. You may be able to find them in Europe. Good speakers.

HFE says the 690 is rated for 60 watts so you might have to limit how hard you drive that speaker.
 
Last edited:
One that gets overlooked here in the US is the NS-890 since it is not a common here. You may be able to find them in Europe. Good speakers.

HFE says the 690 is rated for 60 watts so you might have to limit how hard you drive that speaker.
Wow, that's a 4 way, awesome (or just 2 mids?). And what about the NS-590?
 
I've found Yamaha separates to pair pleasingly with my Infinity RS IIs.

I've also noticed a few Yamaha separates owners using vintage JBLs like the L112s or L150s.
 
Those RSII's look amazing, but way to large for my apartment ;-)

At four feet tall and nearly two feet wide they dominate my room, but they are the best I've heard in there. My room is only 11 x 14 x 10 and has a 5 feet wide open doorway to an 8 x 8 x 10 room.

They've played well with Yamaha's M-70, M-80, and MX-1.
 
NS-690's

I really like NS-670's Too

I've also couple a pair of Mitsubishi/Diatone DS-36br with a C-70/M45 combo and they sounded great. Very similar to NS-690's but with more/different low end.

Love the Yamaha gear with my Electro-Voice speakers too !
 
My Yamaha NS-690MKII, Infinity RS II, QLS-1, WTLC, JBL S8R C60, Sequerra Futuresonics, Qual ESL 57, HPM-200s......... do well well by my Yamaha amp/preamp combos.
 
If you like the "sonic signature" of the Yamaha NS series speakers, you may just want to "move up the food chain" so to speak--so I'd agree with auditioning the NS-690 or NS-1000. If you change brands/makes, every brand has it's own sort of "sonic signature" (some more consistent than others, so no guarantees). The "bigger brothers" in the Yamaha line will sound "different", but somewhat consistent with the whole series line-up.

If you are mainly into classic rock, the JBLs are certainly a good option as well and will sound a lot closer to the Yamahas as opposed to Magneplanars or Infinitys.

Don't worry too much about speaker power ratings, as they are pretty much useless, and don't worry about the amp being too powerful--just don't get too "hamfisted" with the volume control. Just because you have that much power on tap, doesn't mean you have to use it ALL at all times. In my main system, I use anywhere from 1 to 3 amplifiers (all rated 300 wpc/8 ohm, 550 wpc/4 ohm, 850 wpc/2 ohm each), and have never blown a speaker--even ones with a lowly 50 w rating. Your ears will tell you (or start bleeding) if you go too far. The advantage to having so much power available is that the amp will never be "stressed"; therefore, it will never clip or begin to sound badly under transient demand--most people never exceed a few watts under "normal" listening levels anyways.
 
I've just been phoned up by a guy who is selling a pair of NS-1000 (ebony brown home version) for a more than reasonable price. The thing is that one tweeter does 'not work' and it has some signes of usage and a dent.

But still.. I think I'll have a look at them in the coming week :D
 
Those NS1000s are heavy, the woofers have no protection, it's best to have help moving them. I also have a pair that needs lots of TLC. Some NS1000 speakers have been modified by people with little knowledge. I always check the back panel to see if its been removed and how well the screws look. Replacing the speaker grill fabric also looks like a challenge. But I do love these speakers.

I too own the MS200m speakers and it has no problems with my M4. The 90 SPL rating on Yamaha NS speakers is a bit deceiving. These speakers do need juice or current for any decent low end despite of their SPL rating. As long as your playing them a reasonable listening levels they should be OK.

Michael
 
Back
Top Bottom