• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Recommendations - Wifey likes pretty things!

Blur2018

New Member
With this being my very first post, I hesitate to admit that my wife wears the pants, but here we go...

I'm fairly new to the vintage audio world, but I'm definitely hooked! This website has already been a huge help to me as I'm learning, so thanks to all of you for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

It all started with a Sansui 2000X receiver, and then I picked up some KLH 17s for $20 and read about recapping and re-doping. I took on the project, it was surprisingly simple, and the results were awesome! Since then, I'm constantly wondering what could sound better, which brings me to my current dilemma...
I am looking for a set of speakers that will fit my listening space, both physically and appearance-wise. My wife is into the whole "new vintage" look, so that's a big part of this (the picture is far from great, and I know that this setup may not necessarily be ideal, but at least it provides an idea of what I'm working with). Since the 17s, I have swapped sets to see what can sound better. Admittedly, some of these were never going to stick based on their appearance. Here's a list of what I have tried and the reason they didn't work out:

Cerwin Vega D1s (too much separation between the sound of the two drivers)
Marantz Imperial 4Gs (bleh)
T+A Elektroakustik Stratos P30s (GREAT speakers, by the way, but cherry finish is out. Still in the basement and looking to sell them)
Design Acoustics PS-10s (currently the garage speakers - not a fan of the overall look)
Baby Advents
B&W DM1200s (not enough low end)
RTR HPR 12 Magnums (big and ugly, but really solid speakers)
Polk Monitor 5JRs (black finish is a hard no)
Paradigm 5se Minis (look too modern)
Polk Monitor 10Bs (the BEST sounding so far, and I replaced the SL1000 tweeters with the Midwest Speaker Repair's Peerless copy tweeters)
*I have some Genesis G1s that need to be re-foamed, but those won't pass the appearance test*

The Monitor 10Bs sound incredible, but they're too big, and while she loves the sound, my wife is not a fan of the boxed veneer look. I just sold them this morning, so the 17s are going right back again. Don't get me wrong, the 17s are impressive, but they lack a sense of raw intimacy in the higher frequencies (not even sure I know what that means, but I tried). I had a line on some AR-2ax speakers or some KLH 5s a few days ago, but they sold hours before I was able to commit. My wife actually loved the look of those (especially the ARs), so if I find another pair for a reasonable price I would bite.

What I'm looking for is recommendations of speakers that typically have a walnut-esque finish with some decorative touches (my masculinity is taking a massive hit repeatedly on this post) and would mate well with my 39 wpc Solid State Sansui receiver. I know that the AR line has several different models, and I've heard that the 3s are not very efficient, but any advice is much appreciated.

My wife's recent request sums it up - "Find something that looks like the KLHs and sounds like the Polks." I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible.

So here we are. If I'm missing some crucial element, please let me know, but for now let's hear/see some recommendations! Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20200311-085514_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200311-085514_Gallery.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 135
Register to hide this ad
Polk RTiA1 (or A3s if you can find a deal).

Nice look, easy to drive, sounds open & clean at low to mid volumes, good value. imho, of course.
 
You could look for a set of Large Advents. They may or may not be an improvement over you KLH’s. The AR’s you have already mentioned are a good option as might be a ADS L series speakers mentioned by CopperWizard. However, the ADS may not have quite the right look.

What about something like an early Ohm Walsh series speaker? Aesthetically the wife will love them or hate them and they may be too tall for her liking. I have seen some early models go for the $300 range locally.
 
You might look at some Realistic speakers. The Optimus-1 (and 1b) and Optimus-5 (and 5b) were designed to look and sound like the KLH 5 and 6. Nice walnut cabinets. Their Nova 7(7b) and Nova 8(8b) are the same with a lattice grill if your wive would like that. You will find them much cheaper than AR ot KLH.
 
adamantes_3_393x@3x.progressive.jpg
 






That's nice.
No name, no price, does it even fit in with the "problems" he had with other speakers, and I have to say he's tried quite a few? In addition, are they $300 or less as shown with stands, as specified in the OP?.
Is everyone recommending strictly on appearance are have they taken into account the "weaknesses" the other speakers had in his opinion.
 
Last edited:
Already some great options. Thanks! I've heard great things about the ADS line. I'll have to see if they all have the metal grills, or if I can swap those with some vintage..y grill cloth.
Keep 'em coming!
 
Early models have cloth grilles, black generally. Won't usually swap as cabinets would change.
 
For vintage "bookshelf" style speakers that have nice walnut cabinets...
KLH Five/Six/23
ADS L520/L620/L730/L780
New Large Advents
Acoustic Research AR-2ax

Agreed that the Polk Monitor 10's are awesome sounding, but large in size. Polk Monitor 7's are very similar sounding in a smaller package, but might still not pass the WAF looks wise. Polk made some terrific narrow floor standing models (RTA-8T and RTA-11T) that might get you a nice compromise. Also, ADS L1090's were clad in walnut veneer with mesh metal grills and are exceptional sounding in a narrow floor standing form factor, but might not be realistic for under $300. The Advent Prodigy series have a floor standing model and they sound very good and are not expensive.
 
...does it even fit in with the "problems" he had with other speakers, and I have to say he's tried quite a few. Is everyone recommending strictly on appearance are have they taken into account the "weaknesses" the other speakers had in his opinion.

All good points. I admit my suggestions focused on appearance/application and they may not specifically fit the OP’s listening needs. However, based on the criteria, willingness to try different options, and unpredictable availability of vintage gear, I thought they were worth mentioning.
 
Last edited:
All good points. I admit my suggestions focused on appearance/application and they may not specifically fit the OP’s listening needs. However, based on the criteria, willingness to try different options, and unpredictable availability of vintage gear, I thought thy were worth mentioning.

I wasn't pointing at anyone in particular, just asking if his objections to several speakers were a factor in the recommendations offered.
Given the WAF in this case I understand possibly prioritizing the appearance, however he seems to have disliked several previous speakers he has auditioned based upon the sonics.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the initial post, but he seems possibly a bit picky/particular about the sound plus there is the wife who must be pleased by the appearance.
JMO, actual auditions of prospective speakers are a must and perhaps the wife should be there as well.
 
Last edited:
I wasn't pointing at anyone in particular, just asking if his objections to several speakers were a factor in the recommendations offered.

I think that is a fair and reasonable question. We have all seen posts where the author has either ignored, misinterpreted, or not addressed key issues/points raised by the OP. I certainly think your question is relevant to ask here.
 
If she wears the pants, why not just show her pictures of a bunch of speakers and find out what floats her boat...if any. Then shop that look and hope for the best.

I'm sure glad mine could care less what I get. But, luckily, my music room is upstairs, which is nice, as I don't have to ask "permission" nor do I like to clutter the living room. I just used a pair of ads L300C's for the occasional tunes played in the living room.
 
Give her some walnut boards and a Parts Express catalog and tell her to go to town. :rflmao:

Seriously though, my current favorites are not walnut-looking.

Have you considered something small along with a sub to get enough low end?
 
With this being my very first post, I hesitate to admit that my wife wears the pants, but here we go...

I'm fairly new to the vintage audio world, but I'm definitely hooked! This website has already been a huge help to me as I'm learning, so thanks to all of you for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

It all started with a Sansui 2000X receiver, and then I picked up some KLH 17s for $20 and read about recapping and re-doping. I took on the project, it was surprisingly simple, and the results were awesome! Since then, I'm constantly wondering what could sound better, which brings me to my current dilemma...
I am looking for a set of speakers that will fit my listening space, both physically and appearance-wise. My wife is into the whole "new vintage" look, so that's a big part of this (the picture is far from great, and I know that this setup may not necessarily be ideal, but at least it provides an idea of what I'm working with). Since the 17s, I have swapped sets to see what can sound better. Admittedly, some of these were never going to stick based on their appearance. Here's a list of what I have tried and the reason they didn't work out:

Cerwin Vega D1s (too much separation between the sound of the two drivers)
Marantz Imperial 4Gs (bleh)
T+A Elektroakustik Stratos P30s (GREAT speakers, by the way, but cherry finish is out. Still in the basement and looking to sell them)
Design Acoustics PS-10s (currently the garage speakers - not a fan of the overall look)
Baby Advents
B&W DM1200s (not enough low end)
RTR HPR 12 Magnums (big and ugly, but really solid speakers)
Polk Monitor 5JRs (black finish is a hard no)
Paradigm 5se Minis (look too modern)
Polk Monitor 10Bs (the BEST sounding so far, and I replaced the SL1000 tweeters with the Midwest Speaker Repair's Peerless copy tweeters)
*I have some Genesis G1s that need to be re-foamed, but those won't pass the appearance test*

The Monitor 10Bs sound incredible, but they're too big, and while she loves the sound, my wife is not a fan of the boxed veneer look. I just sold them this morning, so the 17s are going right back again. Don't get me wrong, the 17s are impressive, but they lack a sense of raw intimacy in the higher frequencies (not even sure I know what that means, but I tried). I had a line on some AR-2ax speakers or some KLH 5s a few days ago, but they sold hours before I was able to commit. My wife actually loved the look of those (especially the ARs), so if I find another pair for a reasonable price I would bite.

What I'm looking for is recommendations of speakers that typically have a walnut-esque finish with some decorative touches (my masculinity is taking a massive hit repeatedly on this post) and would mate well with my 39 wpc Solid State Sansui receiver. I know that the AR line has several different models, and I've heard that the 3s are not very efficient, but any advice is much appreciated.

My wife's recent request sums it up - "Find something that looks like the KLHs and sounds like the Polks." I'd like to keep it under $300 if possible.

So here we are. If I'm missing some crucial element, please let me know, but for now let's hear/see some recommendations! Thanks in advance!

Your wife wants something beautiful...
Here's some tiger Wood beautiful looking loudspeakers...
https://areteaudio.wordpress.com/
 
Back
Top Bottom