• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

speaker wire Monster Cable or Radio Shack

That bunch will probably have them exhumed to verify they are actually dead then sue the estates. They are really ridiculous.
 
How is it the energy drink company gets to keep using their monsterously named product?
 
I remember a sage engineer once telling me that the best speaker wires are the ones that reach from your gear to your speakers.
 
It is not made of copper. Aluminum is not as good of a conductor as copper. Avoid copper coated aluminum or CCA.

That is "Copper Clad" wire there are a number of outfit that make it. The Copper clad Aluminum is pretty bogus stuff but the Copper Clad Steel is very good. However the only reason to use it is in applications that require high tensile strength. I use copper clad steel in my dipole antennas. For speakers there is no reason to use copper clad wire. The conductivity is very good with both wires because of the surface effect.
 
Wire used for speakers has a lot of fraudulent claims. AWG (American Wire Gauge) is based on the length of the wire. Monster wire is pure bullshit. There are tables that provide the AWG based on wire length. Stick with that. You can go to Home Depot and look for the AWG you want or go to Radio Shack or Frys or an electronics store. Stay away from salesman and displays and labels making fantastic claims. There is no difference in sound production!
 
Hi everyone I picked up some radio shack wire my nephew was happy so my next project is to make some speaker stands for his ads Braun 810 speakers
 
Hi everyone I picked up some radio shack wire my nephew was happy so my next project is to make some speaker stands for his ads Braun 810 speakers

Glad to hear he was happy with the wire.
I'd be interested in your stand build for the Braun 810's. I have a pair to with the backing plate but no stands:sigh:.
 
Other options is to get the Home Depot speaker wire that are off large spools, usually pretty good and not terribly expensive per foot. Can cut custom lengths or order as much as you want. Just be sure its 14 ga or larger for long runs (>25 feet), otherwise 16 ga can do.
 
The wire used for low voltage garden lamps is frequently used for heavier guage speaker lines.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I did this.
$15 for 50' at Home Despot. But I think it was 14 gauge. Wish it was 12, but I have very short runs.
 
It all depends on the length of run and whether you need a high damping factor for your speakers.

The advantage to Monster cable when it first came out was than it was so easy to handle and install. We could get other wire from folks with the same guage and clear plastic but it was much harder to handle and install. I have had the same monster cable for 30 + years. Two runs for the woofers, one run each for the mids and tweeters. left run is 30 ft right run is 45 ft, so you see why I use #12 awg. If they had made an 10 AWG at the time I would have installed it. Each run for the bass is 4 ohms the mid 8 and the tweeter 6. So having having a 2 ohm load for the woofers demands the two runs of 12. There are losts of choices out there. And unless you know for sure your runs are short enough, stay with the larger guages. I tried the braided stuff one time and it was inferior to my two runs of Monster.
 
I use monster cable all the time, I get it pretty commonly from the previous owners when I buy speakers. Some I got for a dollar from thrift stores, interconnects too. At that price point I can't complain at all. I have the home depot 12 gauge speaker wire too and will probably make some from an extension cord like mentioned if i need any more. All my current lengths are under 10ft and at least 14awg and so far I've yet to have any issues.
Go with whatever is easy for you to get and don't sweat it.
 
Back
Top Bottom