• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers for Classic Rock, Hard Rock, and Metal

Olecranon

Active Member
I'm in the process of putting together a 2 channel second system for my basement. I've been scouring the local craigslist for speaker options.

As the title suggest, I'll mainly be listening to classic rock, grunge, modern hard rock, and metal music. My electronics for this system are pretty decent. A Rotel RC-972 preamp and a 200 watt/channel RB-1080 amplifier. Source will be a PC playing FLAC, MP3's, you tube, Pandora and CD's.

Here are my options for speakers.

Polk Audio SDA 2B
Klipsch KG4
Klipsch KG 4.2
Monitor Audio Silver -RX6
Klipsch KLF-20
Klipsch KG 5.2 w/crites crossovers and tweeters
Paradigm 9se Mk3
Klipsch Forte 1
Klipsch Heresy I w/ new caps

Prices range from $280 for the Polks to $600 for the bigger Klipsch.
 
Register to hide this ad
I really like both pair of series 1 Heresys I have, but I also have a pair of KG3.2's, and I don't normally like to recommend something I have no personal experience with. But seeing as the 4.2's and the 5.2's are just the 3.2's on steroids I feel safe in recommending the 5.2's, YOU WILL NOT need a sub lol.

I also think the KLF-20 would be great, nothing like having a dedicated midrange driver for vocals, but no personal experience so........
 
Last edited:
for the bigger Klipsch.

I realize what you are saying so I'm not trying to be disrespectful.... it just made me giggle a bit because in the world of Klipsch, those are all rather small.

I've only heard Heresy's (on that list) so I'm no help. I'd guess you'd feel a need for a subwoofer with them (I had a trio that I got from an estate (I bought 100% of the audio stuff) and included was a Klipsch Sub-12. It rounded them out nicely.

People seem to also love the KG series and the Forte (neither of which I've heard)

Good luck!!
 
I have a pair of Klipsch Chorus II's in my main system so I know what you mean about those being small speakers. I think the Forte's and the KLF-20's would be great. I'm VERY curious about the Polk SDA 2B's I know they like power, but my RB-1080 would be up for the challenge. I'm just not sure how they would perform with that type of music.
 
Forte, or Forte II or III for Rock if your basement is large, can't find better, no subs needed.
 
Hey
Olecranon,
I am leaning in this order ...

Monitor Audio Silver -RX6 (fast with plenty of slam yet detailed)
Paradigm 9se Mk3 (Good Alrounder with enough slam to get you rocking)
Polk Audio SDA 2B (power hungry and with that passive radiator a slower bass delivery ..)
Depends of what metal you listen to (modern five finger death punch / fast power metal)
or slower grinding stuff like sabbath and MY DYING BRIDE ...

I listen to classic metal ie priest/maiden/ sabbath/ Accept/ Scorpions
My speakerare infinity kappa 9 .. and they friggin Deliver!
enjoy
 
If you are going to listen to Cinderella, then you cannot go wrong with those speaker choices.

However, if you are going to listen to Metallica, Cerwin Vega !

JK.

Enjoy your research and search!
 
For rock and roll:

- ADS L910 (But will likely exceed the budget)
- ADS L810
- Altec Model 14
- Cerwin Vega (several models)
- Klipsch Forte

GeeDeeEmm

From the interweb: ADS L910

th
 
Go for the paradigms, i've got the 9's and 11's. Both keepers. Also have the mach 1's, and hpm-100's (hmm also keeping). If you can find VMPS give them a chance (got those upstairs). Of course Cerwin Vegas also are good choice (had some but offer was too good).
 
I'm wondering why you are not considering JBL speakers? There are likely several models from the 1980s-1990s for sale in your area that are in your price range. For example, my L100Ts are great rock speakers with terrific, punchy bass. They can be found for around $500. Also in the same line are the L80Ts, which are also very well respected here on AK. The L5 (the L7 is likely out of your budget, and is very sensitive to placement) is another option. Or, why not consider the most iconic rock speaker of all time, the L100? You could be lucky, and pick up a pair needing a little TLC (refinishing, or grill foam replacement) for about $600. I just bought a well cared for pair, and they do a great job on classic rock.
 
I've had many Klipsch, to me better on jazz.
I have Cerwins for my keepers after 50 plus pass throughs. The top end Cerwins with 15" woofers.
Many different versions of these exist, so preferences do occur.
I listen to rock/ Alternative rock primarily. Full sound with the natural bass makes the difference.
Of your list, the Paradigms and the Polks sound great, have not heard the monitor audio, and of the Klipsch I really liked the KG 4's but would not be
my hard rock speakers.
 
As an "OG" metalhead...
I'm wondering why you are not considering JBL speakers?
Agree completely,there are quite a few models of JBL that would be on my radar.
Own several pairs of JBL,and I enjoy 'em all.
Cerwin Vega !
Cerwin Vega!
Of course Cerwin Vegas also are good choice.
I have Cerwins for my keepers after 50 plus pass throughs.
Yeah plenty of CV that I'd consider too.
Own 2 pr. of CV myself...

I like the KLF of those Klipsch listed,but be advised they're often known to have cabinet (front/rear baffle) issues.
So be sure to check closely for that and be prepared to repair if needed.

FWIW

Bret P.
 
Klipsch quartet . Upgrade the crossovers and tweeters from bob crites. Add wight to the woofers (2.5onces ) Remove risers . Get them at least 10 inches off the floor . Awesome ....!! For all music
 
If you can recap the SDA 2B and change the tweeters to RDOs, those speakers go to a different level. If not of the choices given, either the Forte's or KLf 20's. But you should not need the 200 WPC amp to drive any of the Klipsch. I would also agree to look into some JBLs or the ADS selections other posters have given. I will also add to look into AR11's.
 
IMO the best speaker on the OP’s list is the Klipsch Forte; an excellent speaker and one of the better Klipsch I’ve heard and far superior to Heresy Is which on their best day were flamethrowers.

A friend replaced Maggie 1.6s with Fortes in his high end vacuum tube system and they have better tone, dynamics, clarity and imaging than the Maggies. These are dead stock, none of the modifications many Klipschies fall prey to. The fella just came across the Fortes and bought them on a whim to screw around with, he had no idea he’d end up replacing his Maggies with them.

Going off on a tangent and recommending speakers not on the OP’s list I’d say Altec A5 or A7-500 VOTs, Altec 19s, Altec 604s and 605s, EV Sentry III and Sentry IV and the Klipschorn.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom