• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers for good sound in a bad room.

Likely to be controversial here, but smaller speakers can be paired with a subwoofer. This allows the smaller speakers to be used as a "point source" where edge diffraction, and wall reflections matter less. The trick is to get them matched properly. Subs also usually have level and frequency cut off controls. Allows the tuning. Now the results, to you, will be dependent on how critical your hearing/listening is.

You mentioned surround sound, most AVRs have considerable amount of DSP (sound processing) the quality of which can be great for TV sound, but negatively impact high fidelty stereo reproduction.

Just my 2 cents.

R
 
Thats why Mcintosh ML and XR series you needed the room equalizer . A MQ 101 for the average person or more sophisticated models if you had a professional install the speakers. The speakers were designed to be critically damped, so the amp chosen had little effect on the bass sound. The speakers were designed to be flat when placed in a corner against a ceiling or on the floor. Then as you pulled them away from the corners against a wall another setting then away from the wall another setting or raised them off the floor and then on a stand away from the wall another setting. There was a separate control for each bass channel in case your room was not symmetrical. The EQ's also had a midrange control in case you had a bright room or a very soft room. Same for the treble. I have the non symmetrical room issue and use a more advanced model for that very reason. Mcintosh speakers and amps were designed to to work together and when the XR SERIES came along better protection for the speakers and greater capabilities were designed in.

Now some of Bose's famous versions of the 901 used a room EQ also, and a lot of people loved them. Both companies speakers need ample power. 100 watts and up depending on the models.
19601067_10154759388223963_6790387893717673704_n.jpgAC   XR-7.jpg
 
I don't have a specific recommendation but in my experience a "bad room" would sound worse with most horn loaded speakers. ADS speakers or most with soft dome tweeters could work to your advantage. I have never owned line array speakers so can't help there.
 
Now some of Bose's famous versions of the 901 used a room EQ also

Per the Roger Russell archive, room effects are one reason for the Mc eq but if my reading is correct the Bose 901 equalizer to increase bass extension from those somewhat lame drivers. EV had a similar scheme in several very nice speakers. Both worked pretty well IMO though Roger had some choice words for Bose marketing claims. But I do like 901s nevertheless.

Someday I hope to hear those ML-1Cs play pipe organ or "Flight of the Cosmic Hippos".
 
I might get some tomatoes thrown at me for this recommendation, but who cares.

In one of my listening rooms that’s 12’ x 14’ (or 3.6 m x 4.26 m) containing a large floor-to-ceiling media built-in, I’m running a pair of Boston Acoustics Micro90x II’s on low profile stands & in actual bookshelves(!) coupled with a simple Yamaha NS-SW050BL (driven by a “lowly” Yamaha RX-V371) set at a 110hz crossover level. The sub is placed toed into the center of my built-in from one of the rear corners of the room. Below are photos for reference showing where they’re all placed:

image.jpg

IMG_9987.jpeg
IMG_9988.jpeg
You would be amazed at how nice it sounds (the bass sounds like it’s coming from the front speakers!) with any streamed or analog (vinyl) source I throw at it. Micro90x’s can be had for dirt cheap on the ‘Bay & might work well in a small space such as yours. I think I got my entire set a few months ago, including the center you see, for just $29 (!).

Pairing them with a decent sub can yield a surprisingly decent sound. And this is coming from a guy that also regularly rocks properly calibrated & unmodified (outside of tweeter and/or woofer refoams!) JBL 100’s & Snell EII’s on my other 2-channel setups.

Some added reading on these for you:
The Boston Acoustics Micro Reference 90 Stereo Review Story
 
Last edited:
You're certainly not going to get any flak, from me, for running Boston Micro 90x satellites.

Those were always pretty remarkably good sounding little speakers. One of those things where you go "that little thing is doing ALL THAT?!".

If the Bose Acoustimass satellites had been EVEN HALF that good, I would have never had any qualms with them.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Mr. Rudy Bozak published curves on the 901 and the Bose Equalizer. They were really quite awful as I have said many times. But Bose was all about trying to create an illusion. Thats how I also feel about bi-directional speakers, too. Magnepans, Some Legacy models, Martin Logans, and Bi directional electrostatic speakers like the famous KLH 9. Its an illusion speakers are producing. I bought what are now my HT speakers when used originally as my Stereo speakers because the sound they produced most closely matched the sound I was recording live. That's why I also chose specific headphones and ear-speakers as Stax called them. Yes choice of mics can make a difference. But between 40 and 12,000 HZ good mics are very close together as long as you are using the same pick up pattern. Some are a touch brighter or the bass is more extended, but if they are great microphones they are true to the live performance. So your speakers should be too. That is why I chose what I did at the time. Bozak Concert Grands in 69. Rooms could be an issue, but with correct placement and the fact they used a line array of tweeters you had clear clean sound with out horn coloring and the speakers were efficient enough 100 watts was more than adequate. Then I added super tweeters, as the 200Z tweeter hadn't been introduced yet, and I bi-amped using direct coupled SS amps, to get more accurate bass with less coloration that tubes added. But it was all about reproducing accurately the sound of the performance. Most point source speakers can't do that and for sure Bose speakers can't even come close. But if you are liking the illusion a particular speaker makes, go for it. Klipschorn corner speakers with a Cornwall or La Scala in the center are making an illusion, that a lot of people use to enjoy. I want to take some live recordings with me that I made and Audition a pair of Jubilees. They should be great. Some line arrays I love others I can do with out.
 
Yes agreed and I trust measurements more than ears when neither is my own. But with Bose the illusion was the goal and the 901s did it pretty well IMO. I like powerful bass and flat mids/highs, but the reflection makes the sound unique and interesting even if it’s not that accurate. It’s like exotic food - not for everyday but still fun for a while.

However, if you want the ultimate achievement for that illusion, Ohm Fs were the pinnacle and also fairly accurate. What a great sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom