• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Splicing Blocks....

scale21

Active Member
I have a bunch of old cassette tapes and some 8 tracks that i want to re-pad/foil

Is there an affordable splicing block available. Most i see are around $30 and they only do one size or the other.

Be a shame to toss out these tapes but spending $60+ just to put some tape on and keep them out of the ocean seems a bit nuts.

I figure they are worth a repair if they have lasted this long.....and try to get some more enjoyment out of them.
 
Register to hide this ad
You can find wood (oak) versions on ebay for half that. Not a high-volume tool, but you're not doing high volume.

Reminder to clean the razor blade with alcohol to remove the oil used during production to prevent rust while in storage, and to demagnetize it so you don't get audible thumps at each splice. Freshly-washed hands (or lemon juice) to prevent skin oils on tape, too.
 
ah...thank you for the tip. Maybe i will give this a shot and see how it goes. I need to get my 1/8 and 1/4 inch splicing tape for 8 track and cassette tapes. Some say that you dont need splicing tape on 8 tracks and the foils should be good enough. In the end they say the splicing tape creates a stiff spot which can jam up when the tape spools from the center of the reel. Cassettes are so tiny im worried about getting things lined up square and thought the block would be the best way to go for that.
 
know anyone with a router table? You can DIY one easy enough, just need to route a groove of the appropriate width in a bit of wood.
 
I have used splicing blocks and found it just as easy to lay the ends of the tape on a flat metal surface......overlapped, cut, tape them back together. Use a coin on top of the tapes to keep them flat and easy to line up.

I did this for a while-got tired of it, and bought a block. I have needed to spice a few cassettes, and so far, have not bought a block, so flat surface, bits of blue painters tape to hold tape once aligned, and apply splice tape (and I cut down bits of 1/4" splice tape-once again, I have decided "good enough" for seldom needed splices for cassettes. R2R and 8 tracks-I use the block-often enough to justify.
 
I've done hundreds of splices, buy a splicer it's soooo easy compared to doing it by hand. If you look at some of the tape cleaning packages in ebay, some may have a splicer included and go for a few dollars compared to a commercial unit.
 
If you look at some of the tape cleaning packages in ebay, some may have a splicer included

Just to clarify though, you're not talking about any 1/8" splicers, right? Like OP, I would like to be able to do some cassette repairs. In my case it's probably not worth the equipment though, even if it exists; there are just a handful I'd like to fix and they're probably heading for the bin before long.
 
I've only done cassettes, I think I've seen some splicers that have 2-3 different size slots but it's been a long time, I was doing my splicing back in the late 90's for the company I worked for. I always thought it was pretty fun and very rewarding, the little are pretty cool when they're sharp and clean.
 
I think I've seen some splicers that have 2-3 different size slots but it's been a long time
I did a quick search for these and the only ones that turned up were already sold out on Etsy. They were made of hardwood and had slots for both 1/8" and 1/4" tape.
 
You can not beat the Editall blocks that are sold made of Aluminum as the hold the tape for you being cut with a cup like slot. I have them in my splice kit and I have spliced from cassette to 1/2". Yes there is an up front cost as there is in buying good splice tape. I just don't like wasting time with inferior products as once you use the real stuff there is no turning back. Splicit has all you need. http://www.splicit.com/1-8-1-4-1-2-Pro-Audio-Tape-Splicing-Blocks-p/sb.htm

I know they are not $18 but they don't sell you 100 blades for $5.00 anymore either nor is the gallon of gas $.33 a gallon like when I rode my bike. Times are a changing.
 
Thank you for the information. Good stuff.
I would really love to find a block that has the 8track size on one side....and cassette size on the other vs having to buy 2 different blocks.
I have picked up a small pile of cassettes recently and they need pads and some need leader splicing repairs where it has pulled apart. Same for the 8 tracks. I probably have 20 or so of those on the repair pile. I have all the stuff...new pads and foils...and some kind of block is the next step.
 
Splicing block sure makes it easy...spend the money, you will be glad you did.
8 track size is 1/4" tape.
 
I used a small piece of walnut and ran a 1/4" groove down the middle with the router. I then made a perpendicular fine groove for the blade. i guess the cutting groove really should be 45 degrees. Could add some bells and whistles but it works fine.
 
The Editall block has a 90 and a 45 slot. I use the 90 slot for leader tapes, 45 for mid-tape splices.
 
I have one, and its a nice piece. Would be nice if they sold a version that handled multiple sizes on one block though
Yes it would be nice but think of the machining cost- what if three separate blocks cost you $90 and then the combo block due to complexity cost you $200 would you buy it?
 
I was thinking just make it a two sided thing. Just flip it over and mill a slot of another size on the back. I wouldn't expect that to significantly increase machining costs over a single sided one.

I only own one size of tape machine so personally I wouldn't buy it, but it would be nice to have as an option for people who do.
 
I wouldn't expect that to significantly increase machining costs over a single sided one.
That depends on what represents the greatest portion of the machining cost. If machining the slots for the tape and the 45 and 90 degree cuts is the most expensive part of the machining process, the cost for doing this on both sides of the plate could be significantly higher.
 
Back
Top Bottom