• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spring ....Any Good Thrift Store Finds?

Teradacto58

Super Member
I scored a nice Pioneer CT-F2121 Cassette Deck today..at a GW thrift store...for $4.99 Works great ...and the aluminium face plate is a 9.5/10!! Also found a Large Sharp Center Channel Speaker..$4.99.I'm going to swap 2 Energy woofers in the box instead!!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Hey! i never thought to search the thrift stores in spring. I guess people would be doing some spring cleaning; cleaning out their basements and/or attics, or simply replacing "that old obsolete thing" with something new, so I imagine the thrifts would have more than BPC and piss soaked matresses right about now.
 
The Goodwill near me stopped accepting large electronics. It sucks for hardware related pieces, and the two racks that used to be dedicated to electronics now only see the occasional phone or clock radio.

The next place for me to go would be Brown Elephant, but it's a good two and a half miles from me and is only convenient to stop by after school.
 
Ok its ugly and rough.......

But i am so desperate for somthing audio to mess about with i bought it....
3382194553_56a408e641.jpg


Sharp RT W800...twin cassette deck........

Its so baffling to operate and it looks so naff i think it was a design collaberation between Stephen Hawking and Stevie Wonder !!!!

But amazingly it works perfectly and sound pretty darned good !!!

The auto reverse mechanisms work smoothly and are amazing to watch as they spin round........after i cleaned the nicotine off the whole thing that was.....

I also picked up a couple of nice Metal tapes.....

3382195433_00b82861d6.jpg


3383013478_630a8d68f8.jpg


Well worth the $4 for an afternoons entertainment till the thrift store season starts up and that Pioneer CTF 1000 turns up.......
 
But i am so desperate for somthing audio to mess about with i bought it....
3382194553_56a408e641.jpg


Sharp RT W800...twin cassette deck........

Its so baffling to operate and it looks so naff i think it was a design collaberation between Stephen Hawking and Stevie Wonder !!!!

But amazingly it works perfectly and sound pretty darned good !!!

The auto reverse mechanisms work smoothly and are amazing to watch as they spin round........after i cleaned the nicotine off the whole thing that was.....

I also picked up a couple of nice Metal tapes.....

3382195433_00b82861d6.jpg


3383013478_630a8d68f8.jpg


Well worth the $4 for an afternoons entertainment till the thrift store season starts up and that Pioneer CTF 1000 turns up.......


Yeah that deck was hit with the ugly stick, but I probably would have bought it as well (and have bought stuff like that only to end up giving it to someone). As far as the Hitachi cassettes, that is really odd since they are usually marketed as Maxell although I have found a couple Hitachi tapes in the past, although they were definitely not bought anywhere in North America.
 
Yeah that deck was hit with the ugly stick, but I probably would have bought it as well (and have bought stuff like that only to end up giving it to someone). As far as the Hitachi cassettes, that is really odd since they are usually marketed as Maxell although I have found a couple Hitachi tapes in the past, although they were definitely not bought anywhere in North America.

Yeah, i agree about the Hitachi cassettes.....i forgot that Hitachi and Maxell were one and the same company....but an oddity all the same.....
 
Yeah it is really only a label's difference from the old Maxell MX. Nice vintage tape. I thought it was really cool when Maxell/Hitachi used to use different color reels to signify tape length. The 60 minute tapes were white, the 90 minute tapes were blue and the rare 120 minute tapes were lime green.
 
Yeah, i agree about the Hitachi cassettes.....i forgot that Hitachi and Maxell were one and the same company....but an oddity all the same.....
WOW! after using products from both companys for over 36 years, i never new that they were the same company.
'ya learn something new everyday', as 'they' say.
 
But i am so desperate for somthing audio to mess about with i bought it....
3382194553_56a408e641.jpg


Sharp RT W800...twin cassette deck........

Its so baffling to operate and it looks so naff i think it was a design collaberation between Stephen Hawking and Stevie Wonder !!!!

But amazingly it works perfectly and sound pretty darned good !!!

The auto reverse mechanisms work smoothly and are amazing to watch as they spin round........after i cleaned the nicotine off the whole thing that was.....

I also picked up a couple of nice Metal tapes.....








3382195433_00b82861d6.jpg


3383013478_630a8d68f8.jpg


Well worth the $4 for an afternoons entertainment till the thrift store season starts up and that Pioneer CTF 1000 turns up.......

Ouch fug uckly
 
Passed 2 nice speakers today at VV....A pair of Akai SW-155 4-way 12" woofer for $29.95. Also a pair of 2-way Hitachi's ...Very nice cloth rolled 10"woofer + nice looking dome tweeter...$19.95
 
Last edited:
At the Goodwill tonight I found a Teac CX-310 for $1.95. It needs belts the power button fell off (it was inside, a simple super glue fix) and the pause button needs mending. There is also a fascia missing from the level knob. I usually don't put too much work into the lower end decks, but I am a sucker for VU meters. Plus I have a feeling this deck should actually clean up nicely.
 

Attachments

  • teac1.jpg
    teac1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 56
  • teac2.jpg
    teac2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 25
  • teac3.jpg
    teac3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 26
I stopped by one of the local Goodwill stores this afternoon and saw a later model Sony dual deck. This thread came to mind immediately, and I thought seriously about picking the little fella up, but it was such an unassuming deck in looks; looked like it might have come from a Sony bpc rack system, so I left it behind. I'm desperate for a good cassette deck find but I can wait!
 
At the Goodwill tonight I found a Teac CX-310 for $1.95. It needs belts the power button fell off (it was inside, a simple super glue fix) and the pause button needs mending. There is also a fascia missing from the level knob. I usually don't put too much work into the lower end decks, but I am a sucker for VU meters. Plus I have a feeling this deck should actually clean up nicely.

Are you sure that you did not spend too much? ahaha:):)
Congratulations, nice deck, i like analog v-meters

Here in italy,we have not that opportunities..
 
At the Goodwill tonight I found a Teac CX-310 for $1.95. It needs belts the power button fell off (it was inside, a simple super glue fix) and the pause button needs mending. There is also a fascia missing from the level knob. I usually don't put too much work into the lower end decks, but I am a sucker for VU meters. Plus I have a feeling this deck should actually clean up nicely.

I am also a sucker for VU meters.....there is a Hitachi deck at my local thrift store, its been there for months.....the VU's light up.....but it does little else.........i might offer them a buck for it, at least give it another shot at life...........
 
Are you sure that you did not spend too much? ahaha:):)

The funny thing is that it was originally $9.95 before they realized it was broken and it sat there for weeks. I went back last night and it had no price at all. I asked them what they wanted for it. I was all ready to offer them $5.00 for it when they came back out with the $1.95 sticker on it. Luckily both the broken power button and the broken piece off the back of the pause button were rolling around inside the chassis, both of which are salvageable. The nice thing about it being a rather simple deck is doing a thorough reconditioning on it will be a breeze and belts are not too steep for it either. Working for a place that sells replacement parts for old Ford Mustangs, I replaced the missing fascia on the level knob with a screw cover plate (basically a stainless steel disc) from a 1969 Mustang window handle.
 
The funny thing is that it was originally $9.95 before they realized it was broken and it sat there for weeks. I went back last night and it had no price at all. I asked them what they wanted for it. I was all ready to offer them $5.00 for it when they came back out with the $1.95 sticker on it. Luckily both the broken power button and the broken piece off the back of the pause button were rolling around inside the chassis, both of which are salvageable. The nice thing about it being a rather simple deck is doing a thorough reconditioning on it will be a breeze and belts are not too steep for it either. Working for a place that sells replacement parts for old Ford Mustangs, I replaced the missing fascia on the level knob with a screw cover plate (basically a stainless steel disc) from a 1969 Mustang window handle.

My local thrift store is only a short walk up the street for me........but they are so disorganised, nothing is priced, and depending on who you ask the prices can range from a starting price of $10 to $3 when you ask the lady #3.........i love the place :)
 
I'm desperate for a good cassette deck find but I can wait!

The good thing about cassettes technically being "outdated technology" there are a lot of good decks hitting the shelves for dirt cheap, so one can discriminate a bit. Keep an eye out for yard sales in good neighborhoods. Some nice silver faces can be had, given you don't mind replacing belts. You'll have a better deck for it.
 
Back
Top Bottom