• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SS Amp Storage ???

bokat57

Active Member
Hi


How should a solid state amp be stored ?

How long can a solid state amp be stored before the parts degrade ?

Thanks :thmbsp:
Bob

Bonus question why are ss amps called " sand "
 
Register to hide this ad
As long as you want. Stored in their original cartons, plastic bags and silica gel packs, they can be happy for decades. I have gear that hasn't been out of its box for 20-30 years. I recently powered up an amplifier I hadn't turned on in 30 years.
 
I use a ATA flight case, you can add foam to fit any size amp securely. My M-504 is a perfect fit, the WOPL needs additional

aBl8ffg.jpg
 
Pretty well anywhere dry and indoors.
Note that the PS Electro caps Will deteriorate with time, in use or not.
In the very least they will need reforming to revive.
 
Bonus question why are ss amps called " sand "

sand is silica (silicon dioxide) which is key ingredient for the manufacturing of semiconductors ( solid state ). It is also a key ingredient for glass ( valves & tube envelopes) :scratch2: A lot more "sand" in tube amplifiers actually.
 
Back
Top Bottom