• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Solid State Amp with Tube Tuner?

Mcawber

New Member
I have a McIntosh MA 5100 SS integrated amp. I'm now looking to add a McIntosh tuner. Should I stick with the solid state models, or would it be ok to look at tubes as well?
 
Register to hide this ad
Tube tuner with SS amplification works beautifully if what I'm listening to as I type this is any indication. Scott 333b -> Yamaha C-4 -> Epicure M1 -> Vandersteen 2c. Then again my tube system doesn't sound so radically different from the SS one, by choice. No, they aren't identical to the ear, but closer than most tube/tube or SS/SS comparisons would be. Regardless of which amplification I'm using the 333b just sounds like its lovely self.
 
I've heard excellent tube tuners and excellent SS tuners, I've also heard poor examples of each. I see no reason to limit yourself to one or the other. The one thing to keep in mind with tube tuners is that some of them don't have as good of selectivity. Selectivity wasn't as big a consideration back in the days of tube tuners because there were alot fewer stations on the air. There are definitely tube tuners with very good selectivity but it's something to keep in mind.
 
I've heard excellent tube tuners and excellent SS tuners, I've also heard poor examples of each. I see no reason to limit yourself to one or the other. The one thing to keep in mind with tube tuners is that some of them don't have as good of selectivity. Selectivity wasn't as big a consideration back in the days of tube tuners because there were alot fewer stations on the air. There are definitely tube tuners with very good selectivity but it's something to keep in mind.
If selectivity is important to you, then you have to be more than careful in deciding on a tube tuner. In my area in the Brooklyn FM jungle, especially in the lower region of the dial, a lot of tube tuners can not hack it.
 
Back
Top Bottom