• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ST-5000FW Help

Whitehall said:
Glenn,
I've got a full engineering office at my disposal. I can scan to at least 11x17 into pdf or tiff and maybe more if I sweet talk some clerks. I can also whip out E-size plots off of the scans.
Of course, you can drop it off at your local Kinko's and they will probably do it for less than round trip postage.
Joe - did the manuals arrive in good shape? They went out over a week ago.

As a follow-up on the performance of my Radio X refurb'd ST-5000FW, I will say that it is, without a doubt, the best sounding tuner I've ever listened to. It is simply dead quiet. As quiet a background as any other piece of source gear I've got. Just great. And the selectivity, sensitivity and sound are every bit as good. Especially impressed with the way this tuner handles the lower end of the scale. Almost makes vinyl and digital sources redundant (not really). But, is very satisfying to listen to.
 
Sorry to drag this old thread back up but is there anyone out there with a copy of the service manual for this Tuner. I just got one and the meters and lights don't work on it. It does however work(musically), and sounds amazing!

If someone has a copy that can be e-mailed I'd very much appreciate it. If you want payment then that can be arranged no prob. Just drop me a PM and we can sort it out. Thanks.
 
The tuner is so old, I wouldn't be surprised if all the bulbs are burned out. There's a festoon bulb on each end of the dial glass. Even using LED won't help the illumination of it. I will always be dim.

Taking the faceplate off, cleaning the dial glass and faceplate glass really helps with the illumination, but it's still kind of dim in the daylight.

DIAL GLASS WARNING: The white scale and lettering will flake off when cleaning. The glass is actually etched and you can just wipe some paint across the etching to restore.

The rest of the lamps (meter and stereo lamps) are bulbs for flashlights (torch). Radio Shack Part number 272-1143 works nicely.
 
The tuner is so old, I wouldn't be surprised if all the bulbs are burned out. There's a festoon bulb on each end of the dial glass. Even using LED won't help the illumination of it. I will always be dim.

Taking the faceplate off, cleaning the dial glass and faceplate glass really helps with the illumination, but it's still kind of dim in the daylight.

DIAL GLASS WARNING: The white scale and lettering will flake off when cleaning. The glass is actually etched and you can just wipe some paint across the etching to restore.

The rest of the lamps (meter and stereo lamps) are bulbs for flashlights (torch). Radio Shack Part number 272-1143 works nicely.


Thanks for the advice. I've had the meters out of the housing and the lamps are soldered in. The wires disappear through a hole in the floor of the tuner. Looks like I'll have to get the bottom plate off to get to the connections. I think the meters are dead. Looks like I need to find a couple of spares from a donor machine. Needle in a haystack? Probably. If that fails then I'll have to do without working meters. Would be nice though to get it to full working order. This is a nice WIP for me to get my teeth into.
 
Got those files now. Thanks so much!

Had a quick look and now I've got the service manual I can see replacing those lamps is not about de-soldering/re-soldering. Just need to work out what rating the lamps are. Are the originals the same as 272-1143? There's plenty of plastic housing in there and don't want a melt fest.
 
Sorry to revive this.

I am looking for a spare spindle for the tuner (somehow mine has a wobble and a bend) as well as a service manual (cannot join yahoo) if possible.

Very nice sounding tuner and would love to get it back to good health.
 
Back
Top Bottom