• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ST-70 Custom Died - Where To Start?

i dont want to muddy the waters and throw even more ideas in the mix. i just want to say that you are in good hands and i hope you get your amp fixed as easily and cheaply as possible buddy! :thumbsup:
 

Great link, thank you.


i dont want to muddy the waters and throw even more ideas in the mix. i just want to say that you are in good hands and i hope you get your amp fixed as easily and cheaply as possible buddy! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I saw the work you did on that SX-1280 currently in BT. You were more than a bit modest about your tech skills in a previous conversation. It's a beauty, and your restoration seemed pretty intensive to me.

And thanks to all who have joined in here - you are a knowledgeable and helpful bunch.
 
Great link, thank you.




Thanks. I saw the work you did on that SX-1280 currently in BT. You were more than a bit modest about your tech skills in a previous conversation. It's a beauty, and your restoration seemed pretty intensive to me.

And thanks to all who have joined in here - you are a knowledgeable and helpful bunch.

thanks hal! i appreciate that! there is a wealth of knowledge on this site. ive learned a ton and continue to learn every day. you'll have this thing singing in no time
 
Had the same thing happen to one of my tube amps last year. Same type of receptacle, same fuse. Replaced the fuse, everything has been A-OK since.

Also lost a fuse on my DAC this week, jiggled the power cord when it was on, then it went off! Opened it up and found a blown fuse. Fuses are good things.
 
Special privileges for special "people." I don't let just anyone roost on my SACD player.

As nice as that Cary amp looks, it is upstaged by that beautiful kitty - so what is his/her name?

Jumper is a tube amp fan, bigtime. He likes the warmth, and often lies nearby.
 
5 amps does seem like a high value for a st70 amp. If that fuse blew then that would indicate a large surge.A quick cycling of the AC can blow the rectifier tube which if it did might take out the main fuse. Still you should check if the 5A is the correct value for your amp.
SS rectification so check those diodes
I don't see the point of replacing that circuit PCB with a tubes4hifi version as it's very similar in design with the same Mullard
circuit and Solid State CCS added to the tail end.

As for the PS that amp is still using the rectifier tube and just has the " diode mod" that's even on the tubes4hifi site.
Yes you are right - how I ended up looking at some other design that uses - well I screwed up there!
 
Julia looks like a Turkish van. If so, very smart breed. Oh, and they don't like being left alone when they want attention . I have a calico that looks very similar (coat)
 
Francis
Turkish van

Still say it looks like a cat.

yellow-cat-van.jpg
 
Got the fuses. Will check tomorrow, er, later today, ie, Saturday. My meds have me fatigued, and just didn't feel up to bothering with it today. High-end medication, one grand per pill, one per day for 24 weeks, $168K. Plus another $35K for its cheap comrade. And they don't even make you high.
 
I didnt see it mentioned anywhere, but your power supply schematic calls for a 3 amp fuse. And as others have said use a slow blow type.
 
Got the fuses. Will check tomorrow, er, later today, ie, Saturday. My meds have me fatigued, and just didn't feel up to bothering with it today. High-end medication, one grand per pill, one per day for 24 weeks, $168K. Plus another $35K for its cheap comrade. And they don't even make you high.

Thank God! I was getting worried that this was going to turn in to one of those 'I love my cat' threads.:whip:
 
I don't know what's ailing you Hal, but I hope for that kind of Money, it's a cure and not a treatment. Also I hope your heath insurance covers the lions share and then some. Feel better my friend
 
Back
Top Bottom