• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Star Trek (TOS) The Original Series

Got to meet and get James Doohan's autograph on a model of the Enterprise that I built. This was sometime in the mid 90's. I found out he would be making an appearance at a local theater for some charity event and signing items for the public. I had a few days before his appearance, so I went out and bought a model of the Star ship Enterprise and built it. While standing in line with my model, quite a few commented that they wish they had thought of doing that.
This was in Phoenix Az. Still have the model to this day.
 
Me, as a 7 year old, sitting in the floor of my parents house watching a "Preview Week" of NBC's new fall shows in glorious black & white. On comes Star Trek and "The Man Trap". Instant fan for life.

Favorite episode " The Doomsday Machine " got to meet William Windom in the 90's. Wonderful man, he joked about being on Star Trek that the check cleared and his family got to eat that week. :biggrin:

Mark Gosdin
 
I seem to remember the original Star Trek was on at 10 pm and past my bedtime. My parents weren't cool that way. (Although in hindsight, they may have had their own agenda.)
Of course, I have watched every episode since and it's hard to pick favorites, but I nominate the bar fight in the tribbles episode for top ten best scene.
 
The first series remains my favorite. Don't have a favorite episode, but final season wasn't as good overall as first two. ymmv
 
All of them.

My Dad used to watch the reruns and I would watch with him. We didn’t connect on much, but watching Star Trek was one of them.

I’ve got all 3 seasons on dvd. They’re the originals, no remastering. All the cgi stuff in the remasters just changes the “flavor” of them to me. Remastered stuff has its place, but I want to watch them the way they were when my Dad was still around. For memories sake as much as anything else. Like I said; it was one of the few things we connected on.

They’re in neat-o cases:

View attachment 3204615

View attachment 3204616

The cases are supposed to be shaped to look like tricorders and the colors are the 3 uniforms: command gold, science blue and engineering/security red.

I think Scotty was the only “non-disposable” red shirt on the show! Lol!


This “TOS” thing came out of nowhere for me, when people started saying it. I’ve always just known it as “Star Trek”.

The newer series and movies have their own names so this “TOS” just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Seems unnecessary.

I know what it is and why, it just seems silly to me. Kinda of like a “texting” version. I can’t stand texting versions of things. It just seems….oh, I dunno, lets say….”lazy”.

Same as this “trekkie” vs “trecker” argument I often hear…I just don’t get why it even matters…
"Although Enterprise crew members in redshirts suffer many more casualties than crew members in other uniforms, they suffer fewer casualties than crew members in gold uniforms when the entire population size is considered," Barsalou writes. "Only 10 percent of the entire redshirt population was lost during the three year run of Star Trek. This is less than the 13.4 percent of goldshirts, but more than the 5.1 percent of blueshirts."


One thing that I notice is that in seasons 1 and 2 Kirk gets mad when he loses crew members, and the ending of the episode is often solemn as a result.

However in season 3 (Fred Freiberger produces) all episodes end with the senior officers having a good old chuckle, even though a number of crewmen, and sometimes some other personnel, have been killed.

(This also happens in Season 2 of 'Space:1999', another Freiberger production).

it's still one of the best TV shows of all time though.
 
Favourites?

The Changeling. - my favourite.
The Doomsday Machine.
Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. which I thought was 'inspired' - a brilliant idea.
The Tholian Web.
The Wink Of An Eye. - another one that was brilliant.

There are quite a few others which I like, but can't bring to mind at present.
 
STOS is head-and-shoulders above any other ST iteration for me- tv or cinema.

Favorites:
What Are Little Girls Made Of?
The Corbomite Maneuver
Balance Of Terror
Tomorrow Is Yesterday
of course, Space Seed
Catspaw
The Ultimate Computer
The Tholian Web
Wink Of An Eye


I won't "binge watch" anything other that STOS- captivating.
The Corbomite Maneuver and The Tholian Web are certainly in my top 10 of favs
 
I agree with favorites mentioned. I also agree that so many more could be listed.

I'll add A Piece of the Action.

Just finished (re)watching Court-martial.
 
I ”liked” Space 1999 too, but didn’t love it. It was too British and dry for me.

It did get more interesting (from a character standpoint, not sexual as a woman) when they introduced Maya, but it was not enough.
 
Last edited:
When faced with a dead end problem, I occasionally call out "Landru! Help me Landru. Help me, help me, help me."

I've also been known to say somewhat angrily "It's Scotch...whiskey!" I need Midori or creme de menthe or absinthe for the other line....
 
Favorites: Balance of Terror, City on the Edge of Forever, The Changeling, The Ultimate Computer, The Trouble With Tribbles (steal from Heinlein’s Rolling Stones) amongst some others…

Hated ALL episodes with kids in them.

Barely had a chance to watch original airings due to the rest of the family absolutely hating science fiction.

Loved to see all the fictional tech eventually becoming real (automatic doors, cell phones, etc.).

I still watch shows today.
 
I watched the bloopers at a Friday Night College Movie House before the original King Kong back in the early 80's. It was so cool watching them walk into the doors that didn't open, I bet that was a big deal back then. It was also weird seeing them joke around especially spock, some of those have popped up on YouTube.
 
I remember watching it on a snow filled Zenith 19 inch black & white tv while trying to imagine how it all looked in color. A few years later, got to see it all again clear and in living color. Big thrill back then.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom