• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Starter amp for the Sansui curious...

Guess nearest competition for the L85V was the AU7900, but the already mentioned AU517 and 717 are a step up (and a year or two newer) I think.
(Myself, I am on the lookout for these amps also (although defective, as I am cheap....)
 
There's a 331 in good condition going for (AUS)$300 on FB marketplace I'm keeping an eye on as well as an AU-4900 for $500. Not in any rush though. Just bought some speakers so watching the wallet ;) Not really too fussed about having a tuner section as rarely listen to the radio. It does look cool though!
 
Personally I’d stay away from a 331 it uses a stk chip which makes it difficult to repair…the 4900 517 and other options mentioned are better models and have better part availability…leestereo gave good advice if you buy something half your budget you will need to spend the difference minimum on a restoration sooner or later so keep that in mind with vintage gear
 
Personally I’d stay away from a 331 it uses a stk chip which makes it difficult to repair…the 4900 517 and other options mentioned are better models and have better part availability…leestereo gave good advice if you buy something half your budget you will need to spend the difference minimum on a restoration sooner or later so keep that in mind with vintage gear
I just purchased a spare stk14 chip for my 331. There were plenty to pick from, even OE Sanyo made. Cost me $25.00. Recapped the audio and power supply for $50, in an afternoon. Kept the original STK, just renewed the heat paste. The sound is amazing, it punches way above it's weight class.
 
Last edited:
Personally I’d stay away from a 331 it uses a stk chip which makes it difficult to repair…the 4900 517 and other options mentioned are better models and have better part availability…leestereo gave good advice if you buy something half your budget you will need to spend the difference minimum on a restoration sooner or later so keep that in mind with vintage gear

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely cross-check the recommendations I receive here as I keep looking. Must say the 4900 really caught my eye for both looks and specs. As I mentioned before, I'm not really a radio listener as I tend to stream radio if I do listen to it at all, so having a tuner component is not really essential. I almost pulled the plug on my Sansui search yesterday because I had a lead on a Pioneer SA-6300 for $40! My brother has a similar vintage Pioneer SA-530 and I really like it. Alas, that didn't eventuate so I'll keep an eye on the Sansui models that pop up.
 
What a fun discussion and share of perspective and passion this thread has triggered! :lurk::)

@Engel Given that you are located in Melbourne AU, I will mention that I spied a serviced AU-417 (I think) sitting on the For Sale shelf at JLS Electronics in Doncaster the last time I was there in early February (for servicing of my Marantz CD player) but I notice that amp is not showing in their online shop now, so maybe it's gone...

I recall you mentioned "wife acceptance factor" above. Of course that can cover a multitude of different aesthetic considerations (e.g. she likes a timber case and silver front like your current Luxman L85V or maybe prefers something smaller and more minimalist). If the minimalist look is desirable, the AU-117/217/317 have a notably lower height and look very tidy indeed, IMO (and that comes from an AU-4900 owner).

If you're after something petite, you may be interested in the responses I received here a month or 2 back when I sought recommendations for a "small footprint" Sansui amp: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...tions-pls-for-small-footprint-au-amps.986717/

The truly petite AU-222 got some love in that thread, but they don't come up very often, and it is definitely from the earlier generations in looks, design, features and sound (noting I've not heard one myself).

It will be fascinating to read what you eventually obtain and your comparison of it with your Luxman!

Cheers, Rob
 
The
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely cross-check the recommendations I receive here as I keep looking. Must say the 4900 really caught my eye for both looks and specs. As I mentioned before, I'm not really a radio listener as I tend to stream radio if I do listen to it at all, so having a tuner component is not really essential. I almost pulled the plug on my Sansui search yesterday because I had a lead on a Pioneer SA-6300 for $40! My brother has a similar vintage Pioneer SA-530 and I really like it. Alas, that didn't eventuate so I'll keep an eye on the Sansui models that pop up.
6300 is a great amp $40 is a bargain spend some money restoring it and will sound as good a 4900 sansui
 
The

6300 is a great amp $40 is a bargain spend some money restoring it and will sound as good a 4900 sansui

Yes, would've been nice. Sadly, someone offered the buyer $100. Still a very reasonable price but I've bought some speakers recently so will bide my time with the next purchase.
 
What a fun discussion and share of perspective and passion this thread has triggered! :lurk::)

@Engel Given that you are located in Melbourne AU, I will mention that I spied a serviced AU-417 (I think) sitting on the For Sale shelf at JLS Electronics in Doncaster the last time I was there in early February (for servicing of my Marantz CD player) but I notice that amp is not showing in their online shop now, so maybe it's gone...

I recall you mentioned "wife acceptance factor" above. Of course that can cover a multitude of different aesthetic considerations (e.g. she likes a timber case and silver front like your current Luxman L85V or maybe prefers something smaller and more minimalist). If the minimalist look is desirable, the AU-117/217/317 have a notably lower height and look very tidy indeed, IMO (and that comes from an AU-4900 owner).

If you're after something petite, you may be interested in the responses I received here a month or 2 back when I sought recommendations for a "small footprint" Sansui amp: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...tions-pls-for-small-footprint-au-amps.986717/

The truly petite AU-222 got some love in that thread, but they don't come up very often, and it is definitely from the earlier generations in looks, design, features and sound (noting I've not heard one myself).

It will be fascinating to read what you eventually obtain and your comparison of it with your Luxman!

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob,

Nice of you to suggest that! I'm in Reservoir so Doncaster is not far at all. I have been noticing a few Sansuis coming up on FB marketplace and Gumtree so they're out there, which is good to know. As for WAF, she very much likes the look of the Luxman so that's kind of a benchmark in terms of aesthetics. Not sure what her take is on the black fronted Sansui look. Will run it by her.

Guess I'm wanting to try something a bit different from the Luxman as I've had it for so long and am curious how a different amp would sound with my Goodmans speakers. I'm really loving the speakers (Mezzo Twin Kit). The chap I bought the speakers from seemed to think the Luxman might not bring out the very best in the Goodmans - bit too laid back? I think he had them powered by a Pioneer SA-500.

Wouldn't get rid of the Luxman, though. If anything, might have it serviced soon and see if I can get it running at its optimal level. By this point it's a family heirloom :rflmao:But would be nice to have something like the Sansui to swap in and out. Ah, the joys of this crazy hobby...
 
Yep, Luxmen (I guess that's the plural?) of that era certainly look luxurious with the rosewood veneer paired with the alloy front. Their turntables of that era are rather gorgeous, as well. The timber cases on the older Sansuis are nice but more conservative and not in the same luxury class as some of those '70s Luxes, although of course opinions vary (as they should).

I recall seeing an AU-D9 (I think) that sold in Melbourne a year ago that had classy rosewood veneer panelling combined with black fascia, but no doubt the others lurking here can guide you on their suggestions for a timbered Sansui, if that's a key consideration.

You might have inadvertently started a "best looking Sansuis" discussion!
 
Yep, Luxmen (I guess that's the plural?) of that era certainly look luxurious with the rosewood veneer paired with the alloy front. Their turntables of that era are rather gorgeous, as well. The timber cases on the older Sansuis are nice but more conservative and not in the same luxury class as some of those '70s Luxes, although of course opinions vary (as they should).

I recall seeing an AU-D9 (I think) that sold in Melbourne a year ago that had classy rosewood veneer panelling combined with black fascia, but no doubt the others lurking here can guide you on their suggestions for a timbered Sansui, if that's a key consideration.

You might have inadvertently started a "best looking Sansuis" discussion!

An AU-D9 I did have once, it is definately on par with or beating the Luxman, the only thing I did not like was the already a bit vulnerable build quality and these marketing-hype heatpipe cooling stuff (as a lot of brands including Luxman did during those days).

My daily use one is an AU888, which I totally restored with all new caps, most transistors, all metal film resistors, etc. Plenty of power for the living room

I have a L-309V also, which I restored, it has nicer machining of the knobs etc, compared to the AU888. The L-309V may be a year earlier than the L85V, but it incorporates just about all of the circuitry of the L85V although populated on different circuit cards, TT input circuit is same. Pictures of both resto's are to be found here on AK.
For power, of course it beats the AU888 by a lot, as the AU888 does not meet its power specs in standard form (45W at 8 Ohms) , while the L85V will do (L 309V measures 80 Watts and has very same part number transformer as L85V). The very reason is power sag of the AU888 transformer they skimped on, pulling the supply below +/- 35 Volts under load.. I think just a little more capable transformer alone would lift its power specs, already.
AU888 is much easier to repair and less vulnerable than Luxman, if it ever fails.
(read: amps like the Luxman L85V and Sansui AU-D9 need a better tech, compared to the AU888 having a lot of room, swappable boards and extremely easy access circuits)

So for a woodcase, also consider AU888 and alike types of the era.

I have a Sansui Seven also, which I do NOT recommend because of the pushbutton switches acting up all the time needing some pushes in and out, according a flipper I know most of the old alikes (Six and Eight) suffer from this problem.
Same type of deterioration seems to happen on many Pioneers also, I had SX838 and 929 ones having this problem.
Of course, this is about wearout and not all of them have it, but buying units having had too much deoxit attempts over the years results in buying another ones annoyance piece.....
 
Last edited:
Indeed, that 1970/71 series of seperates were very good looking gear, for what that's worth. I've now put a whole system together around that series, and it is quite striking. Sounds great as well.
 
That's a nice looking amp. Way more attractive than my au717 or my Hafler 220, the literal gray box.

Definitely different styling between the two Sansui’s. I think both look great. The AU-*1* series looks like it could have been designed today - way ahead of its time. Circa 1977, I believe.

For the OP here are AU-717 pictures for “looks” consideration. Similar to the AU-517 recommended to you earlier in the thread. I don’t own the AU-517, so I don’t have a picture to offer.

8DBC4DA1-3AE1-419D-9AF4-D1BE88A7A59F.jpeg

IMG_1920.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom