• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Starting ADS 1290 Refurbishment

20170411_070753.jpg 20150517_154650_resized.jpg 20150524_152643.jpg Just bumped into this post. Hey wild Rich put gaskets on all my drivers for me after rebuild. All I had to do was pop them in. I just sanded my pair and painted them with spraypaint. Black to match all other equipment. I like to listen and watch movies in the dark. Black is easy to keep when new scratches arise. GD the job you did on the 1590s is impeccable. Gorgeous. I concentrate mostly on the sound not so much the looks. I flattened out my grills with a rubber mallet tapping the inside against a marble slab, then I stripped the inside cloth with MRC wich is metering roller cleaner. I first tried scraping the cloth off but learned it was glued on and the glue is a bitch to sand off. The chemical MRC just ate right through the adhesive and removal was super simple. I then sanded the grills and spray painted. I like the looks of all the drivers showing through the grill. I doubt any increase in sound without the cloth it was very thin.20150517_154650_resized.jpg 20150517_154650_resized.jpg And if you decide to go crazy and go 5.1 for surround sound you can match your speakers with the center channel on Rich's website.
 
View attachment 998711 View attachment 998710 View attachment 998712 Just bumped into this post. Hey wild Rich put gaskets on all my drivers for me after rebuild. All I had to do was pop them in. I just sanded my pair and painted them with spraypaint. Black to match all other equipment. I like to listen and watch movies in the dark. Black is easy to keep when new scratches arise. GD the job you did on the 1590s is impeccable. Gorgeous. I concentrate mostly on the sound not so much the looks. I flattened out my grills with a rubber mallet tapping the inside against a marble slab, then I stripped the inside cloth with MRC wich is metering roller cleaner. I first tried scraping the cloth off but learned it was glued on and the glue is a bitch to sand off. The chemical MRC just ate right through the adhesive and removal was super simple. I then sanded the grills and spray painted. I like the looks of all the drivers showing through the grill. I doubt any increase in sound without the cloth it was very thin.View attachment 998710 View attachment 998710 And if you decide to go crazy and go 5.1 for surround sound you can match your speakers with the center channel on Rich's website.
Hey plugto!
That's a hell of a system you have!
Nice job on all!
Glenn
 
Here are some pics of my starting point and initial tear down. The drivers will ship on Tuesday. Anyone know where I can get some replacement woofer gaskets? On my way to HD for the sandpaper.
View attachment 998107 View attachment 998108 View attachment 998109 View attachment 998111

If you've got a compass and a pair of scissors, you can make nice gaskets with 1/8" closed cell foam. A lot of guys line tool box drawers with it, if you don't have a place you can go to and say, "Hey, give me a couple feet of closed cell foam." For the screw holes, I got a 9 piece hollow punch set from Harbor Freight Tools, as opposed to the office hole punch normally used on paper.
If your gaskets are rubber, you can get 12" X 12" sheets of either 1/32 or 1/16 Buna-N at Grainger.

Photo_17_Gaskets.gif
 
If you've got a compass and a pair of scissors, you can make nice gaskets with 1/8" closed cell foam. A lot of guys line tool box drawers with it, if you don't have a place you can go to and say, "Hey, give me a couple feet of closed cell foam." For the screw holes, I got a 9 piece hollow punch set from Harbor Freight Tools, as opposed to the office hole punch normally used on paper.
If your gaskets are rubber, you can get 12" X 12" sheets of either 1/32 or 1/16 Buna-N at Grainger.

View attachment 998762

Good info there, Pork! That's the same technique I've used when making gaskets for automotive, lawnmower, and speaker applications. I must say that my haste has resulted in much less attractive-looking gaskets than the ones you picture, though.

My uncle used to work for an oil services company making gaskets for the industry down in Houston, so he kept me supplied with industrial-quality hollow punches and rubber and synthetic gasket material. Now that he's passed on, I've been making my own punches. Didn't know Harbor Freight carried them. Thanks for the tip!

GeeDeeEmm
 
Good info there, Pork! That's the same technique I've used when making gaskets for automotive, lawnmower, and speaker applications. I must say that my haste has resulted in much less attractive-looking gaskets than the ones you picture, though.

My uncle used to work for an oil services company making gaskets for the industry down in Houston, so he kept me supplied with industrial-quality hollow punches and rubber and synthetic gasket material. Now that he's passed on, I've been making my own punches. Didn't know Harbor Freight carried them. Thanks for the tip!

GeeDeeEmm

Gee,
I've made my own punches as well, but at $9, my days of grinding on pieces of tubing are at an end.
I've also taken to designing the rubber gaskets in Photoshop as there's rulers and guides to help with accuracy, printing the life size version and gluing it to a piece of Buna-N or Neoprene with the clear Elmer's school glue - all glue and paper come off after soaking for a couple of minutes. The print-out is a perfect cutting template.
I've found it also helps to barbeque a tenderloin for a woman that's a functional artist. She can handle scissors in ways I never fathomed.

Photo_19_RubberGasketMaking.gif
 
Last edited:
Gee,

I've found it also helps to barbeque a tenderloin for a woman that's a functional artist. She can handle scissors in ways I never fathomed.

View attachment 998876

I'll bet! Heck, if we lived closer you could invite me over for a tenderloin, too. I've been known to do some creative work myself if the end result was a sizzling steak and a baked potato. Yeah, boy. :thumbsup:

GeeDeeEmm
 
OK so here is the 1st side sanded to 320. Keep in mind I'm an amateur as you read my next question,,,Do the experts think there are still some scratches to remove or is this the natural finish of the wood? I think it is walnut, but I could be wrong.
IMG_2160.JPG IMG_2161.JPG
 
BTW thanks for sharing the pics of re-finishing. Extremely impressive. I love the use of a human foot fixture to apply the clear coats. Looks like an added bonus to cover the toenails at the same time.
Thanks wild!
And I don't have a foot fettish!
Glenn
 
OK so here is the 1st side sanded to 320. Keep in mind I'm an amateur as you read my next question,,,Do the experts think there are still some scratches to remove or is this the natural finish of the wood? I think it is walnut, but I could be wrong.
View attachment 999247 View attachment 999248
That looks good and I wouldn't go any farther unless it's just to even out the veneer color in areas where a bit of original finish remains.
 
OK so here is the 1st side sanded to 320. Keep in mind I'm an amateur as you read my next question,,,Do the experts think there are still some scratches to remove or is this the natural finish of the wood? I think it is walnut, but I could be wrong.
View attachment 999247 View attachment 999248
Them's going to be some good looking speakers when you're done. Between your and Richard's work, you're going to have some keepers.
I may be jumping ahead a bit, but might I recommend a full covering of the inside of the grill with the upholstery underliner with a little shelf up top to protect the freshly gooped mids and tweets when you get them back?

Upholstery Underlining.jpg
 
Yes, I'm through the finish. I'm collecting plenty of wood dust rather than the white dust from the urethane. Now I'm thinking the veneer is a rosewood, given the grain pattern and color.
I'll have to post some pics of the grills. They are in good shape and still have the fabric on the inside. I suppose they don't look brand new.
 
Yes, I'm through the finish. I'm collecting plenty of wood dust rather than the white dust from the urethane. Now I'm thinking the veneer is a rosewood, given the grain pattern and color.
I'll have to post some pics of the grills. They are in good shape and still have the fabric on the inside. I suppose they don't look brand new.
What exactly is the ADS version of "Rosewood" anyway? Could it be that ADS slapped some red dye/stain on some walnut and marketed it as "Rosewood?" Every "Rosewood" pair I've seen looked like reddened walnut. True, some strains of actual rosewood look like walnut, but actual rosewood veneer is comparatively expensive.
My HT speakers are marketed is "Rosenut", insinuating rosewood, but they could be just about anything with a red dye job. A Monitor Audio rep that I contacted claimed them to be dyed mahogany, but I think he was talking out his ass to humor me as the wood bears no resemblance to mahogany in grain or texture.
I guess is all pointless speculation as those speakers are going to be as pretty as a naked heiress when completed. If you've gotten the the wood stripped without sanding through the veneer, that's 9/10ths the battle. Settling on a color will be that other 1/10th. You may want to drag the wife/girlfriend into the color choosing process just to insure their enthusiastic welcome into the living room.
 
index-4.jpg ADS L1590 Rosewood.jpg Here's a comparison of my Walnut L980's and Miked Rosewood 1590's. Clearly a different wood grain.
 
But let's not forget the ADS are European Walnut per soundmotor. A different look compared to the more familiar American Walnut
 
View attachment 999603 View attachment 999607 Here's a comparison of my Walnut L980's and Miked Rosewood 1590's. Clearly a different wood grain.

Walnut veneer JBL 4301b's.View attachment 999624
I see three straight, clean grains with three different treatments. Mikes look unique to other "rosewood" ADS' I've seen, which I would attribute to your treatment of them more than I would a difference in the species.
I know it varies, but I think of rosewood as having a bit more "horizontal" to it.
Rosewood.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom