• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Steam Cleaning Records

Okay, I can't find this on Walgreen's website, the only thing that comes up with a search of 'steam cleaners' is clothes irons. Hey with one of those, I could steam and de-warp lp's at the same time!!!!:banana:

I did find a few at Walmart for $34. Maybe a trip by the local Walgreen's is in order.
 
Okay, I did find this, going to Walgreens today.

"Walgreens Perfection Steam Cleaner for $3


Walgreens is clearing out its Perfection brand steam cleaner for $12.99, down from its regular price of $29.99. Throw in a $10 electronic rebate from Walgreens and the final price is only $2.99"
 
I use one and the Spin Clean and scrub with foam paint pads and even records that look to have no scratches like VG+ still sound like rice crispies while rinsing with distilled water and drying with lint free cloths. I don't get it. They look super clean but that's it. Could it be the Grado Green stylus that picks all this noise up?
 
I use one and the Spin Clean and scrub with foam paint pads and even records that look to have no scratches like VG+ still sound like rice crispies while rinsing with distilled water and drying with lint free cloths. I don't get it. They look super clean but that's it. Could it be the Grado Green stylus that picks all this noise up?


Perhaps the cloth's used to dry the LP's aren't picking up the crap in the grooves? Have you tried using a vacuum device with any success while things are still wet?
 
Okay, I did find this, going to Walgreens today.

"Walgreens Perfection Steam Cleaner for $3


Walgreens is clearing out its Perfection brand steam cleaner for $12.99, down from its regular price of $29.99. Throw in a $10 electronic rebate from Walgreens and the final price is only $2.99"

Damb! Maybe its finally time to look for one. I hope they still have them in stock.

Denny
 
I have been doing this for months, I spin on VPI 16.5 and use a SOTA Reflex clamp to keep label dry, I did a couple before and after sessions and it does work, its not going to perform miracles but it does help.
 
I steamed some others last night, and surprisingly after one old 80s CRC LP, which sounded a little spitty and dull to me, I looked and there was a big blob of crud on the stylus. This doesn't normally happen with my usual cleaning routine. I'm wondering now if either I need different water, to clean out the steamer, or if it's (more likely) old cleaner coming to the surface. Anybody else experience this with steaming? Seems to be a one-off thing so far, but I'm surprised.
 
I'm going back and forth over the vacuuming...I've been using a Nitty Gritty for 20 years and part of the appeal of this new process is the possibility of doing away with the vacuum altogether using microfiber. I had my hearing checked about a year ago and am starting to lose a lot in the, of all things, octave around 2K, which they attributed to being around loud noises, so getting out of vacuuming or going a quiter direction with it is very appealing right now. I actually thought the first few I did sounded better than being on the vac, but now I'm wondering with the buildup on my stylus. Which, again, could be Discwasher fluid from 1985 coming back to life. :)
 
I wouldn't stop using the NG to vac the record.... it does a wonderful job of removing moisture.

But I use the microfibre cloth for the 'sudsy' stages of cleaning, including wiping off the steamed in cleaner, and use the NG for the last two steps, rinse 1 and rinse 2.

Personally I don't think your blob of crud on the stylus is related to any of the things you mentioned -- probably just some tiny hidden wax or glue or something too small to notice while cleaning ... this morning while cleaning a couple records I started to wonder about that. Should a careful inspection with one of those big old lighted magnifying glasses be a final step (or intermediate step) during cleaning. Because I use just regular eye power and this morning found -- not for the first time -- a blob of something on the Sonny Rollins record I was cleaning. Took some extra effort with a short haired brush to get it off.
 
I had the same blob problem again this morning and am now thinking it's probably lint from the microfiber cloths (I can see it on the record when I wipe). I wonder; is there any chance of stylus damage experimenting with not vacuuming? Not to sound paranoid, just wondering how dry the microfiber alone gets them, because I'm not letting dry overnight or anything...pretty much wipe and play. I'm coming to the conclusion, though, that you're right, I need the RCM step in there, just wondering if I'm doing any damage playing around with trying different things.
 
I found something called a "SteamBuddy" on clearance at Target for $9.98 a couple of weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but it should be similar to the steamer from Walgreens.
 
I found one of the Perfection steam cleaners at Walgreens for $29.99 with supposedly a $10 rebate. Took 3 tries to find a store that had one and wasn't full of clueless employees stocking the shelves who didn't know what was in the store or where it was kept. Went online to enter the info and get my rebate. The item does not appear in their list of rebates even though it's in the Easy Saver catalogue. And of course you have to register and give up your email address, phone number etc. so it's that much more annoying. I tried calling the toll-free number and got "Due to overwhelming response, all our bozos are busy, call back later." Well duh, you frauds, of course we're all calling!

I hate big box stores.
 
Back
Top Bottom