• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stephens trusonic 120cx co-axials

hunter00

Super Member
Figured id start another thread concerning a speaker project im starting.
Ive been looking to put together a pair of {larger}floorstanders for my Scott tube amp keeping with a vintage theme.Definately wanted horns, was considering possible co-axial speakers.

Well sourced a pair of vintage Stephen trusonic 120cx co-axials/with x-overs/level controls today and ive worked out a deal with the owner,will be picking them up in the morning.
I will be sourceing a pair of well made vintage cabinets next.Mybe some larger Goodmans cabs or something similar then change out the front baffle to accomidate the Stephens.
Are there any current or past owners of this Stephens model co-axial speaker that can shed some light on what to exspect sound quality wise with these drivers thx

hunter
 
Register to hide this ad
picked up the Stephen trusonic co-axials this morning...60 mile return trip on my bike,rain hit and the drivers just bearily fit in my saddlebags but got them home !
Listening to both drivers now,beautiful tone and range,these are going to sound great in an appropriate box with the scott lk-150.

hunter
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1460.jpg
    DSCF1460.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1459.jpg
    DSCF1459.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCF1462.jpg
    DSCF1462.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1468.jpg
    DSCF1468.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1469.jpg
    DSCF1469.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 82
these speakers excel in voices,and horn instruments are just deadly sounding!Just listened to"kings" Steely Dan on vinyl these 1958 speakers impress!!

hunter
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1470.jpg
    DSCF1470.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCF1471.jpg
    DSCF1471.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF1477.jpg
    DSCF1477.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 46
Wow ..no Stephens tru-sonic fans here.I understand there quite rare to the resale market but I figured some of our more knowledgeable AK vintage speaker guru's would have some info/opinion on these.
I just found a pair of early 70's Akia SW-180a wood cabinets that may work with a baffle change to accomidate the Stephen co-axials.heavy build on these,but still shopping...
hunter
 
I have a friend in MA with a pair of these coaxes in -- interesting -- back horn loaded corner cabinets. Very sixties. He really likes them. They do sound good, although they're a tad bit brighter/more aggressive than I prefer.

I have (and I apologize for being redundant, because I do think I mentioned this before) a single Stephens 206AX coax -- in a Karlson K-15 cabinet (at least at the moment).

EDIT: come to think of it -- in a rather amusing case of synchronicity, said friend hails from Vancouver, BC :-) He married an American & lives - and works - in MA.
 
Last edited:
Dave does he have the 120cx or the 150 co-axials?My buddy has a pair of Stephens full range 15's and they sound great with a JBL bullet tweeter mounted on top driven with Dyna mk3's.
Any opinion on vintage cabinets I should be on the lookout to mount these in?
I will be adding a vintage horn as well,possibly Stephens or Jenzen horn

h
 
Last edited:
I have a pair of Hawthorne Audio coaxial drivers and they sound great. I think coaxial drivers are an excellent concept and are highly underrated in home audio. The point source solves a lot of driver integration issues and can provide a very high clarity mid-range.

I have installed my drivers in a semi open baffle enclosure with the back panels wide open. I really like this setup, it is similar to older consoles that often have perf board in the back. If your drivers can make good bass without enclosures (high Qts), then open or partially open baffles might work for you also.

The Stephens drivers look pretty nice to me, vintage style systems are so cool.
 
Im really not interested in an open baffle speaker design.Im currently running an add for possibly some Klipsch heritage series/vintage EV/JBL speaker cabinets I will use for the Stephens,lots of these get raided for their drivers so hopeing a pair comes up,then I will modifie/build x-overs to suit as I will be adding horns as well.
hunter
 
Wait a minute, I thought I was the only one in MA with a single 106AX.....

:scratch2:

Usually what happens to me is -- for a long time I'll have one of some speaker... then, eventually, I find I have three of 'em. Rarely get to an even pair (although I did manage to ultimately end up with a pair of EV "Wolverine" LT-12 coaxes, piecemeal, way back when).

Sort of back on topic -- I really like the modest little LT-12 coax, too :-P
 
Swung by by an old buddies after work today and went searching thru his vintage speaker pile and found these...36 h/20 w/by 16 deep vintage cabinets by a Canadian company by the name of "Mcbride" in eastern Canada.Well made 1 inch mdf with oak veneer with grills on casters.I will be removeing the front baffle to accomidate my Stephens co-axials and i'll supplement the top end with JBL horn{haven't decided which ones yet},my buddy cris {tech} will make up a x-over for it and I"ll core in some round holes in the top side for the Stephens level controls.
50.00 bucks for the cabinets..
Hunter:banana:
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1480.jpg
    DSCF1480.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF1482.jpg
    DSCF1482.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCF1479.jpg
    DSCF1479.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 45
Well finally got my speaker cabinets together and glued/assembled and figured I slide the tru-sonics into the cabinets and give them workout for the evening.
tomorrow my buddy will build a x-over for them then I"ll finish the wood cabinets
Ive got a pair of JBL 2421 horns will be mounted on top of the cabinets .
couple pics...
hunter
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1487.jpg
    DSCF1487.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1488.jpg
    DSCF1488.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF1489.jpg
    DSCF1489.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 52
All I can say is..wow,anyone who hasn't tried adding JBL pro horns to there speakers to augment the top end should try it!These tru-sonics were good but with them running in conjunction with the JBL 2421 horns ..unbelievable.
My buddy built the cross-overs and added a big ass film cap in there
Just staining to do and possibly ad a rear port and some dampening inside the cabinet and there done,Definate keepers.
My hhscott LK150 drives these beautifully
Next speaker build will be my newly acquired EV sp-15a full rangers with another JBL horn.Ive got another pair of vintage solid tall floorstanders lined up for these.Im thinking of using the jbl 2426 horn with these,destined for the Fisher 50a mono's

hunter
 

Attachments

  • DSCF1491.jpg
    DSCF1491.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF1490.jpg
    DSCF1490.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 46
New cabs?

Looking good, but thought you were going to put the Stephenses in the McBride cabs. Is that next?

Thought they'd enjoy the larger interior volume.
 
Looking good, but thought you were going to put the Stephenses in the McBride cabs. Is that next?

Thought they'd enjoy the larger interior volume.

well as the last week went by I picked up these other cabinets.I decided I wanted a 2-way speaker and the Mcbride cabinets looked like to much work to change over.I did recap the Mcbride cabinets tho and added a pair of big old EV sp-15a's in place of the original 15 inch speakers that were there.
Much better bass for now..
Im loving the Stephens tho!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom