• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

stereo cabinet / racks etc

jj20030

Member
was looking to get a rack to put my stereo in/ cd/dvd player etc, any stores/ websites anyone can suggest to look for something, the stereo id like maybe a cabinet that has a clear glass door to try to keep dust out , since i live in an old house with hardwoods and gets dusty thanks :yes:
 
Register to hide this ad
Check out Salamander Racks, they are available through AudioAdvisor, or Amazon. Or, if you like Mission style, and have Amish craftsmen in your area, you can give them dimensions, and they can make really nice custom cabinets for less than the audio specific stuff.
 
Check out Salamander Racks, they are available through AudioAdvisor, or Amazon. Or, if you like Mission style, and have Amish craftsmen in your area, you can give them dimensions, and they can make really nice custom cabinets for less than the audio specific stuff.

I looked at the one that would work best for me , $2400 ! Looks really nice though.
 
Checkout Sansui eBay and sometimes Sansui cabinets come up with window door(s), in like new condition...dirt cheap!! Sometimes even NOS/NIB.

Probably the same stands true for Pioneer eBay and Kenwood eBay. Got a beautiful Kenwood cabinet at a used furniture store for $20. Like new.

Also check out consignment stores. Most folks don't have a 'need for them' anymore! Very good news to someone who's looking for one!

Picked up a brand new Sansui TT rack for $150 on eBay.

There is NO WAY I'd pay the prices some of these places are charging. That's just crazy. And many of the old ones, 1980's, are much better anyway.)

eBay (but you do have to pay shipping too!), used furniture stores, and good consignment stores. Check out Craigs list too. Don't be in a hurry...you'll find a nice one! Real cheap.

Good luck. :thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
can you weld?im a welder my self and make my own racks and for others as well ,but since you live in a home with alot of wood about maybe you should make /buy a wooden one for the look?

mike
 
Zebra03 makes a good point. Be certain that your gear will fit the rack that you buy. Many of the things currently sold that look like stereo racks are too narrow for stereo gear.

If you are at all handy, you could make something yourself that would be a perfect fit, cheaper, and perhaps nicer than you would pick up at a store. Do an internet search for pictures of Frank Lloyd Wright's work and copy some or all of his design style.
 
I often find cabinets from those old Technics/Sony/Pioneer/JVC rack systems on my local craigslist for $50 or less, pretty decent if they're in good shape.
 
The problem with glass doors is that while they keep the dust out they keep the heat in.
Have you considered a variation on the TNT Flexy type rack? If you are a DIY'r one of them may answer your needs. Check them out at tnt-audio.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html


Well you have to give or take on dust vs. heat, open design = tons of dust but no heat buildup, a typical cabinet = much less dust but it traps heat. One could install two variable-speed cooling fans on the back of the cabinet to pull hot air out, but that also means more dust inside the cabinet.


Or, you can build a cabinet with a sealing glass door, put two holes in the front of the cabinet covered with air filters and two holes in the back for cooling fans, that way barely any dust can get in and all you have to do is clean the air filter.
 
I agree Salamander racks are not cheap, but the OP didn't make mention of a price range, and they are infinity more ridged than any of the "system racks" I've seen from Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, etc.

As I mentioned originally, if you go to an Amish cabinet maker with dimensions, they can make anything you might want, and it will be built right... no particle board & vinyl wood grain wrapping. IME, they are exceedingly reasonable too - if I were to guess, I'd say the $300-400 range. Well worth it I believe, especially if you want a stand ridged enough for a turntable.
 
I agree Salamander racks are not cheap, but the OP didn't make mention of a price range, and they are infinity more ridged than any of the "system racks" I've seen from Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer, Sony, etc.

As I mentioned originally, if you go to an Amish cabinet maker with dimensions, they can make anything you might want, and it will be built right... no particle board & vinyl wood grain wrapping. IME, they are exceedingly reasonable too - if I were to guess, I'd say the $300-400 range. Well worth it I believe, especially if you want a stand ridged enough for a turntable.

You've given me reason to consider that. I'm quite close to Amish country. Although around these parts they are commonly known as Pennsylvania Dutch.
 
thanks all, looks like the biggest thing on rack will be a marantz 2330b, didnt think about the heat inside with the glass doors so now looks like a salamander type etc,, not any amish round these parts but do have a good carpenter/cabinet makers ill check with
 
Back
Top Bottom