• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stereo Exchange in New York City is closing/moving:(

Ds2000

The fi must be higher.
Subscriber
Yes my favorite old haunt is closing, but not totally. They will move to an area near Cooper Square on a third floor from what I've been told.
I went this weekend and saw/spoke to Dave W, it was definitely bittersweet. I've been shopping there for 30 years, first at the smaller but packed store, then at 627 B'way where the store has been since '89. I expressed my near heart attack when I got the email. He replied with "imagine how I felt when I put the signs in the windows."
It was a wistful moment, those early days were bangin'.
I'll look forward to the new space, but will never forget the 17 showrooms of amazement and the long, long wall of used gear. I even got to go into the basement, where there was a Nakamichi TX-1000, and a Kenwood L-07D, which I purchased on the spot.
Thank you, Dave. All the memories are safe in my head.
 
Register to hide this ad
Ahh, the good ole days. I bought my B&W matrix 802s and my first Threshold amp from their used wall in the early 90s. Still have the B&Ws. Sad to see them go from their Bway location.
 
Truly a sad thing... I would always stop by the place when I lived in the NYC area back in the early 90s, up till 2001. They always had a good selection on display and I really enjoyed looking at their used equipment towards the back as well.

Really sad since I had many enjoyable times there, along with shopping at Tower Records, which as a couple of blocks away, before they closed down.
 
The greatest collection of used gear I ever saw! Knowledgeable salespeople & fair prices. I bought my Rotel RA-12 from them a whiile back, an Integrated amp I use as my pre. They mention a moving sale on their web page, but nothing else that I saw.
 
I really loved Stereo Exchange! I got a Dynaco SCA35 from them. Walking in and seeing all the gear on the shelves was always a thrill.
 
I have not thought of them in years. Did they not have their store in The Village in the 70's?
I was driving on Northern Bvd a few days ago, and passed by Leonard's Catering Hall [in Great Neck]. Across from it used to be an audio store similar to Audio Exchange. Gone as well. Most of these type stores are gone. Remember Harvey's?
 
Stereo Exchange had a store on W 8th St a few decades ago. Since their sales people make buyers seem like they're doing them a favor, they should relocate next to Andy Singer.
 
That's a shame. I popped in there a few times back when I worked at Scholastic on Broadway.
At least, they aren't shutting their doors for good.
Tim, possible to go back and take some pics for posterity for others to see what the place is like before they move?
Thanks for letting us know.
Glenn
 
Yes I'll head back this week for a few pics. I always had positive experiences.
 
I have not thought of them in years. Did they not have their store in The Village in the 70's?
I was driving on Northern Bvd a few days ago, and passed by Leonard's Catering Hall [in Great Neck]. Across from it used to be an audio store similar to Audio Exchange. Gone as well. Most of these type stores are gone. Remember Harvey's?

Oh yeah, I remember that place. I was a taxi dispatcher in Great Neck back in the 90's.
 
I have not thought of them in years. Did they not have their store in The Village in the 70's?
I was driving on Northern Bvd a few days ago, and passed by Leonard's Catering Hall [in Great Neck]. Across from it used to be an audio store similar to Audio Exchange. Gone as well. Most of these type stores are gone. Remember Harvey's?

I think that is Audio Breakthroughs. Next to Lord and Taylors.
 
There is one small building directly opposite Leonard's with half selling car rims and the other for rent.
Lord and Taylors is many miles further East than Great Neck, I believe.
 
I was a photographer's assistant in the 1970's. Yup, a suit would get you into any affair.
And if you had a Hasselblad hanging from your neck, just as good and lots more fun.
 
Went in today, it's down to Dave and Ann. We spoke again, and he showed me where the new space will be. It's nice, in a cool building, and more manageable. I really am glad he will still operate a store, it's an indelible part of my audio history.
For now, join me in wishing him a smooth move. Here is the Broadway store with one week left.
IMG_4219.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom