• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sterling Bob Ludwig Question

tubemusic

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Ok, Sterling Bob Ludwig is supposed to be the GURU of mastering albums.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ludwig
http://www.ears-chicago.org/eardrum/july_2011/july_meeting_2011.html

I was with a friend looking for vinyl at a local Jockey Lot. He found an AC/DC Let there be Rock album that had Ludwig's name etched in the area of the vinyl where the music ends and the label begins. My question: Let's say I want to find an AC/DC Let there be rock album for myself. Will all pressings have his name etched in them? He did master the album. I was looking at another band on ebay, the seller made a point in his description to let the buyer know that the album for sell has Bob's name etched in it. I think the whole etching is down by the engineer, but I'm not sure. I know that Bob does these. But I don't know, will his name be etched on all vinyl albums pressed that he mastered?
I hope this makes sense....
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Will all pressings have RL? Or will his RL only be found on first pressings?

My read is that if RL did it, you will see an RL. Not all are first pressings. For example, an RL "Houses of the Holy." Also done by George ("AT/GP") Piros.
 
My read is that if RL did it, you will see an RL. Not all are first pressings. For example, an RL "Houses of the Holy." Also done by George ("AT/GP") Piros.

So the Houses of the Holy lp will have both guys marking?
I just looked at my Metallica Ride the Lightning, wich he is supposed to have mastered, but mind doesn't have RL in the dead wax. Not that I could see.
 
So the Houses of the Holy lp will have both guys marking?

Yes. I even have a "Houses" that has "RL" in the deadwax for Side 1 and "AT/GP" on Side 2. IMO, George Piros mastered a better version of "No Quarter."

Someone smarter will chime in, but I believe that the Engineer would put his initials/name/etc. in the stamper that would then be used to press a Side.

The RL AC/DC "Back in Black" is a thing of beauty.
 
The RL AC/DC "Back in Black" is a thing of beauty.

So all Back in Black albums should have RL in the deadwax?

I was reading a discography of his work. He mastered 461 Ocean Boulevard, by Eric Clapton. Funny thing, I received a copy in the mail today. So I went and checked it...no RL in the deadwax.
 
tubemusic...... only that mastering of any album that God Bob mastered will have the 'RL' (Robert Ludwig) on it.

There may have been masterings and releases of the same album after or before RL did his version that do not have RL on them, (because he didn't do them).

There are other fine mastering engineers to keep a look out for such as George Piros (AT/GP in deadwax) and Kevin Gray (KG) to name only a couple. A proper Search will give you plenty of others.
 
If there were multiple pressing plants, might there be different vinyl masters? Is that why some wold be done by different people?
 
tubemusic...... only that mastering of any album that God Bob mastered will have the 'RL' (Robert Ludwig) on it.

There may have been masterings and releases of the same album after or before RL did his version that do not have RL on them, (because he didn't do them).

There are other fine mastering engineers to keep a look out for such as George Piros (AT/GP in deadwax) and Kevin Gray (KG) to name only a couple. A proper Search will give you plenty of others.

Oh, so there may be different mastering versions...WOW, I wasn't away of that. So E.Man, if I read your statement correctly, one album could have two mastered versions of the same album?
 
Oh, so there may be different mastering versions...WOW, I wasn't aware of that. So E.Man, if I read your statement correctly, one album could have two mastered versions of the same album?

Often a popular album will have many different mastering, and they will often sound 'different'.

CDs are the same. Look how much they shout about being 'Remastered'. Doesn't mean it gets any better tho. In fact it often means it gets worse cos they are 'remastered' to be listened to thru an MP3 player with earbuds in a train.

I didn't know about that either until a couple of years ago.

Have a look on the Discogs 'release' page and it will list them (might not have them all tho.)
 
It was not that big a deal, back in the day. They needed more stampers, they called the mastering place and had more cut. Any available guy would cut them.

But for AC/DC, the best masterings are reputed to be the Australian originals. They certainly sell for fantastic prices.
 
I wonder if there is some why to tell if a record is a Ludwig other than RL. I buy from ebay sometime, and not everyone has "This is a Ludwig" in the description.
 
...But for AC/DC, the best masterings are reputed to be the Australian originals.
I've compared the Australian original Back In Black to the US RL and the RL has a smoother deeper sound. The Oz possibly a sharper 'attack'. Keep in mind that album was actually recorded in the UK so there's no reason the Oz one would be special.

They certainly sell for fantastic prices.
Yes they do. Even here, which is a problem. It's not necessarilly due to a better sound but because the early ones have the original cover art and track listing.

I wonder if there is some way to tell if a record is a Ludwig other than RL. I buy from ebay sometime, and not everyone has "This is a Ludwig" in the description.

Aaaaagghhhh yes......, that is the question. Internet is the only place I have to buy records (see avatar for my front gate hahaha). It's a matter of research, research, and guessing. Sometimes it is possible. You're in the US so you've got more chance of finding the Bob's for a start. The tiny cost of domestic US mail compared to getting them posted here makes it easier to take a chance.
 
So all Back in Black albums should have RL in the deadwax?
Here's a tip to start you off on your new game :D
Look for the original US release with black/grey label. Cover is the Black on black diecut (raised lettering).
Also look for the early CD release mastering by Barry Diament.
 
Back
Top Bottom