• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Steve Jobs' hifi...

IIRC, Jobs used McIntosh gear for a long time... he may have gotten a good deal on it, as he was (voluntarily) paying McIntosh a fee for Apple's use of the name Macintosh.
 
Not if you learn to sit right, although floors take some practice. It takes very little practice, though, to realize that hard-surfaced chairs are much more restful/restorative/relaxing for the spine than soft, cushy ones. :yes:

Any time I feel tired or sore, or have to sit for a long time, I look for the hardest chair around, and specifically keep a couple of un-padded wooden stools in my apartment, just for de-compressing and relaxing my spine. It is a little hard on the 'sitz-bones' sometimes if you sit for too long (several hours or more will leave two tiny round bruises there), but the rest of the spine, and the whole body (limbs as well) will become relaxed, loose and rested-feeling, even light and transparent, as if you had had a good massage and a few hours of sleep, if you sit correctly on a hard surface for long enough. It is almost impossible, except with years of dedicated effort and training, and perhaps not even then, to get that effect in a soft, cushiony chair.
It's another one of those perverse and counter-intuitive realities/truths that people find weird and hard to accept at first, but I GUARANTEE it is TRUE. You just have to learn/know HOW to sit, to learn this for yourself.

Right. Ask John Riggins (FB for the Redskins) about the time he was at a Sandra Day O'Connor luncheon, his back began to hurt so he got out of his chair and laid flat on the floor throughout the talk. Such the conformist
 
Yeah, hardwood non-carpeted floor, bare uncurtained windows make for an excellent acoustic environment. Hit the mute button and continue hearing the audio for several seconds.

I was going to make the exact comment! When I was much younger in the 80's, a buddy told me how great his stereo sounded on his hardwood floor. I dutifully pulled up the area rug in one of our rooms one weekend and set my system up that way. It was spectacularly awful. I didn't know much about audio then but did learn the definition of "sounds like ass" that day.
 
The speakers are Acoustat Model 3's. They are 3 panel electrostatics. I had a pair of that model in 1983. The TT is an Oracle Delphi.
 
The speakers are Acoustat Model 3's. They are 3 panel electrostatics. I had a pair of that model in 1983. The TT is an Oracle Delphi.
I was pretty close then! I was gessing that these these were two-pannel units, but I was just going by memory, not having lived with any mysef.
 
The speakers are Acoustat Model 3's. They are 3 panel electrostatics. I had a pair of that model in 1983. The TT is an Oracle Delphi.

Right on the 3's, had a pair for a very short time early in 84, but don't think TT is a Delphi. Spring towers tops are wrong shape, base is too thick and base doesn't look transparent.
 
Right on the 3's, had a pair for a very short time early in 84, but don't think TT is a Delphi. Spring towers tops are wrong shape, base is too thick and base doesn't look transparent.
Your eyes are better than mine if you can see that. Another possibility would be the Oracle Alexandria. It had towers like the Delphi, but had a significantly thicker plinth.
 
Gee, does anyone have Steve's e-mail address. You could write him and ask. Maybe he still has it sitting in his attic since he probably is using an iPod on Mac and when he wants a bit more volume maybe, the iPod on a Bose Wave. Yes, I know cheap shot.
 
That looks Shopped, i can tell by some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time. :D
It's not out of the question. But why bother? He was already a multi-millionair back then, and could easily have afforded such a system.
 
It's not out of the question. But why bother? He was already a multi-millionair back then, and could easily have afforded such a system.

But why would the man that has sold him self the idea of a computer that's all in (Mobo, Monitor, HD, disc drive, speakers, ect) one box want a system that requires separate components. :scratch2: :D
 
But why would the man that has sold him self the idea of a computer that's all in (Mobo, Monitor, HD, disc drive, speakers, ect) one box want a system that requires separate components. :scratch2: :D

The first Macs only had a board, floppy and CRT. Hard drives, modems, speakers and many other peripherals were all externals. Many of the first Macs were used with an external monitor because using the small 7 screen was horrible. And that didn't happen until 2 years after the photo.

The first truly all-in-one Macs debuted almost a decade later and the iMac came along a few years after that. The main reason for the board & screen in one or an all-in-one system was to save on costs. The "serious" Macs have always been separates, only the low end models are not separate components.
 
The first Macs only had a board, floppy and CRT. Hard drives, modems, speakers and many other peripherals were all externals. Many of the first Macs were used with an external monitor because using the small 7 screen was horrible. And that didn't happen until 2 years after the photo.

The first truly all-in-one Macs debuted almost a decade later and the iMac came along a few years after that. The main reason for the board & screen in one or an all-in-one system was to save on costs. The "serious" Macs have always been separates, only the low end models are not separate components.

Was being sarcastic.
 
But why would the man that has sold him self the idea of a computer that's all in (Mobo, Monitor, HD, disc drive, speakers, ect) one box want a system that requires separate components. :scratch2: :D
Are you joking? The multimedia PC, much less the I-pod wasn't even conceptualized in 1983. CDs had only just come out, and CD-Roms on computers didn't even become popular until the mid 90s. Furthermore, Apple wasn't even remotely interested in the audio business back then.

Don't get me wrong: If this picture were to have been taken today, I'd have been very surprised. But way back back then? Why not?
 
Are you joking? The multimedia PC, much less the I-pod wasn't even conceptualized in 1983. CDs had only just come out, and CD-Roms on computers didn't even become popular until the mid 90s. Furthermore, Apple wasn't even remotely interested in the audio business back then.

Don't get me wrong: If this picture were to have been taken today, I'd have been very surprised. But way back back then? Why not?

Actually the all in one pc (which is different from a multimedia pc) was actually an idea in the 80's a bad one but it did exist. You had Coleco with the Adams computer addon for the Colecovision that turned your video game console in to a fully functioning PC, you had the C64, ZX Specturm and countless clones where the keyboard was the PC. A multi media pc on the other hand is really just a normal computer (i.e a Tower) that you would house you movies and music on that would then be plugged into a separate monitor or projector for video and a separate receiver for audio.
 
The speakers are Acoustat Model 3's. They are 3 panel electrostatics. I had a pair of that model in 1983. The TT is an Oracle Delphi.

Uh Huh.You wonder how someone who had heard vinyl,on a great system like that,could come up with a music-killing abomination like the iPod,unless it was a in a mindset of the good stuff is just for us rich folks,the masses don't care what they listen to,I'll put this piece of crap out,and the plebes will eat it up.

Are you joking? The multimedia PC, much less the I-pod wasn't even conceptualized in 1983. CDs had only just come out, and CD-Roms on computers didn't even become popular until the mid 90s. Furthermore, Apple wasn't even remotely interested in the audio business back then.

Don't get me wrong: If this picture were to have been taken today, I'd have been very surprised. But way back back then? Why not?

In short,back when Jobs had some semblance of a soul,and hadn't realized what a cash cow "music" could be.As if the man wasn't rich enough before the iPod came out.
 
Uh Huh.You wonder how someone who had heard vinyl,on a great system like that,could come up with a music-killing abomination like the iPod,unless it was a in a mindset of the good stuff is just for us rich folks,the masses don't care what they listen to,I'll put this piece of crap out,and the plebes will eat it up.



In short,back when Jobs had some semblance of a soul,and hadn't realized what a cash cow "music" could be.As if the man wasn't rich enough before the iPod came out.
The man DIED TODAY. How absolutely classless can you be? Whatever your viewpoint, it is not the time. You're points are completely subjective and any person with tact would bring them up another day. You're attempts at painting him in a substandard light have only shown your own true colors.
 
I saw that picture recently maybe it was Forbes but i kinda think it was here on AK.
Jobs I imagine was pretty busy finishing up on the Lisa and then having to sell it
while they were working on the Macintosh. Those were likely big priorities then .
anyway he was a visionary of sorts and very accomplished. Even as I type this on
windows 7 a PC I`m sorry to see him go I think many of Apples innovations were
remarkable .
 
Back
Top Bottom