• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Steve Jobs' hifi...

Uh Huh.You wonder how someone who had heard vinyl,on a great system like that,could come up with a music-killing abomination like the iPod,unless it was a in a mindset of the good stuff is just for us rich folks,the masses don't care what they listen to,I'll put this piece of crap out,and the plebes will eat it up.



In short,back when Jobs had some semblance of a soul,and hadn't realized what a cash cow "music" could be.As if the man wasn't rich enough before the iPod came out.

Wow. Music killing?

The I-pod/I-tunes has made music accessible to millions of people, in an entirely new way.

Maybe you say that because you don't think MP3s are high enough resolution for you? The MP3 format existed before the Ipod was created, and of course higher resolution formats can also be loaded onto it. Apple incorporated a pretty decent Wolfson DAC into at least some I-pods, so SQ was a concern to them.

And an Ipod, used with high res files and a digital out docking station like the I-Pure or Wadia, makes a nice, very high quality portable music server.

As far as your comments regarding Steve Jobs soul on the day he died, that's just sad.
 
Last edited:
Kirk57......"And an Ipod, used with hig res file and a digital out docking station like the I-Pure or Wadia, makes a nice, very high quality portable music server."

Agree. iD100>Custom DAC>Ramsey FM Transmitter>Tuners>(Right now) Marantz 10b in main room and Marantz 125 in home office. Have Pandora playing on the iTouch as I type. This was all acomplilshed in the last few months and was surprised how well it turned out.

Thanks Steve J.... RIP
 
Whether you like or dislike Apple products is a personal choice. But, you have to give credit to him for developing products that changed the entire consumer audio industry. He did not develop the mp* formats but developed the products that brought focus and the music to the masses. Not dissimilar to IBM. Bill Gates did not invent the computer as most know it today, just brought it to a level that the masses could use. it.

It has expanded music appreciation to a new generation that was missing out due to the costs of CD and the demise of radio.

WHile in the hospital, even I appreciated having mp3 available though not through an iPod.
 
RIP Steve

062b.jpg
 
Kirk57......"And an Ipod, used with hig res file and a digital out docking station like the I-Pure or Wadia, makes a nice, very high quality portable music server."

Agree. iD100>Custom DAC>Ramsey FM Transmitter>Tuners>(Right now) Marantz 10b in main room and Marantz 125 in home office. Have Pandora playing on the iTouch as I type. This was all acomplilshed in the last few months and was surprised how well it turned out.

Thanks Steve J.... RIP

Completely agreed not to mention it(the ipod) can follow you to your car where in your car you can have an amazing sound system.
 
Hi,
I say there Acoustats as well remember seeing them at Lyric Hi-Fi
back in the day. I must say his story was amazing and he didn't finish
College either. Hurray! for the none college guy's who have a dream and
go for it!


Tube
 
Last edited:
Those Maggies must have sounded like crap shoved into the wall like that.

They are original Acoustat Model 3's. Later versions did not have the wood at the base of the towers. On them the grill cloth extends all the way down.
 
RIP Steve

062b.jpg

Great shot... I hope he wasn't that lonely when he passed away on his death bed. Still boggles my mind that he is gone. He hid the effects of his battle with cancer pretty well. I mean, you could tell he was gaunt and frail compared to how he looked before, but his energy level was still up there. Man, just 56 years... I hope he lived them to his fullest.
 
Uh Huh.You wonder how someone who had heard vinyl,on a great system like that,could come up with a music-killing abomination like the iPod,unless it was a in a mindset of the good stuff is just for us rich folks,the masses don't care what they listen to,I'll put this piece of crap out,and the plebes will eat it up.



In short,back when Jobs had some semblance of a soul,and hadn't realized what a cash cow "music" could be.As if the man wasn't rich enough before the iPod came out.

Boy! I've read some pile of **** posts in my 5 years here on AK, but you sir, take the cake.
 
Boy! I've read some pile of **** posts in my 5 years here on AK, but you sir, take the cake.

I agree.

Some of you guys have to remember that photo was taken in the early 80s with gear of that period. Steve was in his late 20s and still single, building a company. And while that photo shows how genuine he was, I'm sure things were partially staged for that publication.

iPods were designed for portability and convenience. The technologies that surround it are still evolving and the quality is getting better each year.

Records and players took nearly 30 years before it's quality became really good.

Use some common sense.
 
I flippin *L O V E* my iPod. I have all my digital music and a lot of my favorite vinyl with me. My car stereo can control the thing, it works great with the little tube amp in my office and I can take it with me when I'm running on the treadmill. For those purposes, it's the best way to listen to music, period.
 
I bet they had the same conversations about live music quality vs the Edison Phonograph's of the late 19th century as we do now about MP* vs CD/Vinyl The apple ecosystem that he created is truly amazing .
attachment.php
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
my first computer was a mac, still have a g4 and 2 Ipods. Love him or hate him the man was a true visionary . RIP Steve.
 
The man DIED TODAY. How absolutely classless can you be? Whatever your viewpoint, it is not the time. You're points are completely subjective and any person with tact would bring them up another day. You're attempts at painting him in a substandard light have only shown your own true colors.

Nicely stated. I was about to type something else, but that probably would upset the Mods.
 
Last edited:
I started out with a Creative MP3 player. It was OK... it had more memory than a comparative iPod for the price. But the interface was rather clunky. And the PC software for it was awful.

I went shopping for a replacement.... the iPod lacked AM/FM that was available with the competition, but I went with the iPod anyway. The Nano was the smallest and easiest to use. I like the elegant simplicity. I still use the thing, some 6 years later. The battery is holding about 40% of the original charge, so I'm going to replace the battery. It's just perfect for my workouts. I strap it to my arm and I'm good to go. Steve Jobs stuck to his guns on design and his instincts were usually right. Very sad to see him go... I really do think Apple will suffer to some degree. Jobs had too much of his personality influencing product choices and direction.
 
Back
Top Bottom