• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stop fearing the sub, learn to love it!

cubdog

banging through drywall
For years I believed that subwoofers were for home theaters only. In fact, even though I owned four subs I only used two. I would, on occasion, try one with my 2 channel system only to say it was too difficult to properly integrate. Back in to storage it would go.

I kept reading, here at AK and on other sites that properly set up a sub or better yet multiple subs were the only way to go. I decided it was foolish not to at least try to utilize my other two subs. Let me say I am not a bass "nut" by any definition. I listen to, primarily jazz with some blues, ambient, and indie stuff thrown in.

Anyway after some trial and error I believe I have thing dialed in nicely. I still don't have the perfect set up as far as placement goes and I'd like to add a third sub but I'm pretty happy with the sound. That's a compromise I'm willing to make for the sake of keeping the wife happy. There are 11 speakers in our family room so I have to say she is pretty understanding.

Occasionally, I still check to see if my subs are even on and unless I turn them off I never think about them. That's how I know I have properly integrated. So, I want to add my voice to the others who plead the case for the lowly subwoofer. They are certainly not for home theaters only.

cubdog
 
Register to hide this ad
Sage advice...

I too never thought I needed them. I mean with the low and flat (to about 30hz) output of the JBL 250Ti, who needs subs I thought? Until I tried one that is.

Turns out that even if you have speakers capable of really low bass output, you may not be able to hear the notes at your seating position because of cancellation effects (or "nodes" as I believe they are called). This is exactly my issue. I can play really low test tones as I walk around the room and I can clearly hear the notes in many places. Unfortunately where I sit is not one of them.

So, add a sub (or two) strategically placed so that you get more even "coverage" of bass notes spread around the room, and the problem is solved. It takes some time to get them dialed in but as cubdog notes you soon forget all about them if you get it right.

jblnut
 
Integration takes trial and error. (Still not as much as properly aligning a phono cartridge). Ideally your subwoofer should blend in with your speakers as opposed to standing out. You don't want to actually hear the separate components, just one full filled out sound. That's what I have going and I'm quite happy with it.
 
I use a BIC F12 sub. Which is a budget sub and maybe the best of it's class. It's very musical once it setup properly. I never knew music was suppose to have as much bass as it has. Until I went to a audio show here in the city. Then I realized rock n roll music does have bass. I use my sub with a set of Def Tech DR7 speakers. Most people say these speakers don't need a sub but once you hear them with the sub. You realize how much music you are missing.
 
Cubby is right on this. My Vandersteen 2C's really benefited from the KLH sub I'd had in storage forever.

And yes, once I got it dialed in, I tend to forget it's hooked up. Takes lots of work, tho the results are definitely worth it.
 
The only speakers that won't benefit from the addition of one or more subs are usually assaults on the state of the art that almost always include their own subwoofers.

You can't know if you haven't heard!
 
Good point ...

My idea of a sub was like this YouTube vid below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4su9IJQ5XJo

I would hear these monsters coming down the street and :yikes:

That was until last year ... purchased a Yamaha YST - SW012 to help out my Audioengine A2 (2 1/2 " woofer) PC speakers. Great Googly Moogly!!! ... what an improvement ... when set up properly ... no boom boom boom like the video above ... after proper sub voicing ... the little A2's just got kicked up a notch.
 
Last edited:
"There are 11 speakers in our family room so I have to say she is pretty understanding." Understanding? Yes, I suppose she is. That or you have a Carnegie Hall for a living room. Someday you'll have to let us know how you get away with that.
 
Good point ...

My idea of a sub was like this YouTube vid below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4su9IJQ5XJo

I would hear these monsters coming down the street and :yikes:

That was until last year ... purchased a Yamaha YST - SW012 to help out my Audioengine A2 (2 2/2 " woofer) PC speakers. Great Googly Moogly!!! ... what an improvement ... when set up properly ... no boom boom boom like the video above ... after proper sub voicing ... the little A2's just got kicked up a notch.

Ordered a Polk Audio PSW10 for Xmas ... tried out on the mains (to see if it worked) ... then back in the box ... sounded really really good ... looking forward to December.
yeah it's so funny what people do with car subs, complete distortion.
 
Perfectly dialed in subs just disappear ....until they are needed.....then they step up and do THAT THING! love em!
 
I used various hi end subs with 2 channel music for many years...REL, Martin Logan, Era Design, B&W, Hsu Research, SVS, Paradigm and so on. Then I stopped and notice how much more I enjoyed my music. Now I use a sub for HT only. To each his/her own.
 
Rudy Bozak said once "There are no such things as Sub-Woofers" there are only Woofers,some better,some not as good as the other Woofers"
I tend to agree!
Tried both ways and although there were some differences I settles for Big,did I say BIG already,Woofers with NO SUBS but hey to each his own as we're the only ones that count in the end aren't we:)
 
Yep, added a DSP-3100 to my Paradigm Studio 20's and it made a very nice but not overpowering difference.
 
Count me in

I agree Cubdog. I've been a believer since I bought my first Velodyne servo sub in 1994. I still own that sub but have plans to replace it.
 
I used various hi end subs with 2 channel music for many years...REL, Martin Logan, Era Design, B&W, Hsu Research, SVS, Paradigm and so on. Then I stopped and notice how much more I enjoyed my music. Now I use a sub for HT only. To each his/her own.
I'm curious as to why the subs would detract from your enjoyment of the music Art. Those are some pretty nice subs you've had and definitely a cut above mine.

Can you explain why they didn't work for you. Also, did you use them with floorstanders, stand mount or both. I suspect both. I doubt if one would integrate better than the other but I don't know. I never tried a sub with stand mounts.

cubdog
 
I have been reluctant to go with a sub-woofer because it is one more thing that requires proper placement. One more thing to dick around with.

Or, would it be two more things to dick around with. Because if one is good, two is better.

And then, they do take up real estate.

But, whenever I read posts about how good sub-woofers can be, I start to re-think them. :scratch2:

Thanks! You might just have cost me money.:naughty:
 
Back
Top Bottom