• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

STR-7065 newbie

The phono input is more sensitive and also has RIAA equalization. Turntables are the only thing that should be connected to that input.

Due to the fact that you say it sounds OK through the tape inputs but not Aux, and the output is louder in one channel, it's likely not a sensitivity issue but dirty connections and controls. Clean those first. Give special attention to the Function switch, and note that the majority of the switching on that control is done with sliders on the board, rather than rotary switching on the shaft.

Thanks, I was waiting on a new Bluetooth adaptor which finally arrived today and it pretty much confirms your info regarding input sensitivities. Up to now I’ve been using a small battery-powered Bluetooth adaptor I had to hand for my car, which is probably very low output (hence working better in Phono than Aux). The new (mains powered) Logitech one arrived and works great with Aux (but it was too much for Phono… I tried it very carefully to test the theory). They probably all need cleaning too, but the main issue here was understanding the different sensitivity levels of the inputs and pairing the right modern equipment with it. The cheapie Bluetooth adaptor can go back to the car where it works fine.

Will investigate the L/R issue, thanks for the pointers. Have been short on time as my father’s Arcam Alpha 2 suddenly stopped working and has been fun to fix (definitely at the other end of complexity and size to the 7065!)
 
Totally happy with the Sony so far, especially after the latest bulb change, and then… I spotted a very nice condition SX-750 come up for sale. Not needing two receivers at all, I obviously bought it anyway! It was too good a price and in near-perfect condition.

So now I have the STR-7065 and SX-750 for comparison, which is pretty interesting. Obviously not a proper review but here’s a few initial observations.

They are practically identical in size, and both heavy, though the Sony is heavier. Both look great, the Sony definitely feels more vintage and like the earlier model that it is.

On first listen the sound was very even between the two, however with more listening it’s clear the Sony edges it - though it would be difficult to dislike the Pioneer’s output, it also sounds strong. When new, the Pioneer was 50w RMS, the Sony 60w, and roughly 40-50 years later I would say the Pioneer I have is 90% as good as the Sony. Obviously condition matters, too.

Both tuners are excellent, though the Sony seems to grab hold of the FM stations better - the super smooth Pioneer dial is lighter and tends to roll past.

Totally subjective, but I prefer the Sony’s separate power toggle switch to the Pioneer’s integrated one. Similarly, the Sony has a larger volume knob away from the others that’s nicely thought out, whereas the Pioneer’s volume dial is mixed in with the rest. I also prefer the Sony’s real wood cabinet to the Pioneer’s wood-effect vinyl, though it’s still pretty smart. I like the Pioneer’s quirky flat panel at the rear, it actually makes plugging in and out much easier!

Totally appreciate that servicing is a big factor and that the 7065 was top of the Sony range in ’72, while the 750 was mid-range in ’77, so it’s not a balanced comparison, just a fun one. If I only had the Pioneer I would be very happy with it, especially as it looks so good, but overall the Sony is hard to beat.

I wonder what an 850 or 950 would be like…

3EF6A889-9FCD-4177-AA5E-7544CB2F0813.jpeg 92C7161D-D662-4954-8504-8D390534B737.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Totally happy with the Sony so far, especially after the latest bulb change, and then… I spotted a very nice condition SX-750 come up for sale. Not needing two receivers at all, I obviously bought it anyway! It was too good a price and in near-perfect condition.

So now I have the STR-7065 and SX-750 for comparison, which is pretty interesting. Obviously not a proper review but here’s a few initial observations.

They are practically identical in size, and both heavy, though the Sony is heavier. Both look great, the Sony definitely feels more vintage and like the earlier model that it is.

On first listen the sound was very even between the two, however with more listening it’s clear the Sony edges it - though it would be difficult to dislike the Pioneer’s output, it also sounds strong. When new, the Pioneer was 50w RMS, the Sony 60w, and roughly 40-50 years later I would say the Pioneer I have is 90% as good as the Sony. Obviously condition matters, too.

Both tuners are excellent, though the Sony seems to grab hold of the FM stations better - the super smooth Pioneer dial is lighter and tends to roll past.

Totally subjective, but I prefer the Sony’s separate power toggle switch to the Pioneer’s integrated one. Similarly, the Sony has a larger volume knob away from the others that’s nicely thought out, whereas the Pioneer’s volume dial is mixed in with the rest. I also prefer the Sony’s real wood cabinet to the Pioneer’s wood-effect vinyl, though it’s still pretty smart. I like the Pioneer’s quirky flat panel at the rear, it actually makes plugging in and out much easier!

Totally appreciating that servicing is a big factor and that the 7065 was top of the Sony range in ’72, while the 750 was mid-range in ’77, so it’s not a balanced comparison, just a fun one. If I only had the Pioneer I would be very happy with it, especially as it looks so good, but overall the Sony is hard to beat.

I wonder what an 850 or 950 would be like…

View attachment 2295956 View attachment 2295957
I believe the STR-7065 was the top model in Sony's line at the time. That Pioneer was mid-line, so it's not surprising that you liked the Sony better. The 750 and 7065 seem to sell for near the same now, and I think the Sony is a far better unit.
The Pioneer 50 series didn't feel more upscale until the 950's and up, to me. I have an STR-7055, and it just seems like a nicer unit, from the feel of the switches to the wood veneer, unlike the vinyl of the lower Pioneers. I just happen to really like its sound, too. I also have an SX-1050 in line to be repaired and restored, which I hope I can do in the near future. The 950 looks and feels a lot like the 1050 and 1250, but I'm not sure of its performance.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom