• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

strange aiwa AP-2600 turntable

I am surprised this table is available local. If I wasn't flush with TTs right now, i'd consider it just for it's rarity.

The seller is asking a touch on the high side of what I think it would sell for on eBay or audiogon, as similar Sonys, JVCs, etc. sell for the same and less.

But it'd be pretty nifty owning a rare table like this...

I assume the asking price is being driven by the presence of the brand new AT cart. I hope to put my eyes on the thing today or later this weekend.

My purpose is for general listening, and I want to try my hand at ripping to very high quality levels (i.e. searching for a table with very low THD, low WOW and flutter.)
 
I forgot about the cart. Price is more reasonable as such.

Keep us posted, and swing by sunday if you want to meet a few AKers in person. We're having a small get-together.

Cheers,

Paul
 
I forgot about the cart. Price is more reasonable as such.

Keep us posted, and swing by sunday if you want to meet a few AKers in person. We're having a small get-together.

Cheers,

Paul

Wow, this is a busy forum... Almost made it to page 3 in one day!

Well, I opted to crawl before I would walk. I picked up a Sanyo Plus Series Q50 for short money. AT LS-500 cart, playing a pretty well beat-up Al Hirt currently just for a test spin.
I need to clean and lube some of the auto mechanisms (as always, Less Is More when it comes to lubing these things?)
 
Aiwa ap2600

Hi, I have one, I found it in a secondhand shop for $25.00.It was really dirty and the stylus was worn out.I use the Shure M95 ED it came with and I can't complain.The headshell gives you a chance to experiment with different carts.I use it every day as it sounds fine has perfect speed and its hassle free.Maybe I am a bit late but I would buy it if I were you.Cheers
 
hi retro amp..can you shed any light on the tonearm bearing pivot design ?..mine seems to have some up and down movement when you gently press down on the bearing housing but it feels as if there is some suspension inside as it returns to its previous position as soon as you release any downward pressure..the pivot also seems to have some movement side to side and some free play if you pull the arm gently too and fro..

i can't work out if this is part of the design or perhaps the arm needs adjustment..:scratch2:

i'm guessing those three metal inserts in the top of the bearing housing might be some form of magnetic suspension, or anti resonance design ?

the arm seems to balance differently at the pivot end than more conventional radial arms whose horizontal and vertical bearing assembly exhibit very little 'discernible' movement when you try to twist or pull the arm...

any info or comparisions would be greatly appreciated..

i'm thinking of upgrading the ortofon vms3e that it came with..although it seems a decent match compliance wise..
 
Hi Melofelo,Yes mine does the same and thankfully it looks like it is built into the design.I thought I was the only one who had one,no web references at all until I stumbled over your thread tonight.also mine is a speckled granite looking base.
 
thanks for letting me know..:thmbsp:..i'll leave well alone now..:D...i love the construction of this table...built like a battleship...i'll suggest a cartridge upgrade to my friend just so i get a chance to listen to it again..
hope you are enjoying yours..:thmbsp:
 
Hi, I am very happy with mine.A good everyday turntable.A cartridge upgrade can only improve things.Plus it looks fantastic and the weight of the thing is amazing.
 
Should the need arise... This appears to be some available parts: http://www.partstore.com/Model/Sony/Aiwa/AP2600.aspx
Well that's the first noobie lesson you'll learn - partstore can't be counted on to have anything in stock.
I saw that Aiwa here locally, it looks like a rather nice TT.
I'd offer the guy $150 and see what happens; that's the nature of that place. Test the waters if you will.
Good luck and enjoy the music.
JimB
 
wow..that thing looks awesome! obviously a rarity :drool:...
do spoil us with some more pictures and close ups if you have time..
how does it sound and perform ?
 
Didn't know the 3000 had a little brother, that was my first reaction when I saw the 2600. the first 3000 I ever saw was on the bay, it was the japanese version, badged the AP-L20X :saywhat:. It took two tries to sell, the first go-round was a no-bid at less than a Franklin...If I knew then...:sigh:
 
I owned one of Aiwa's TOTL Tuners that was built like a tank and very large in size and weight. It was a very nice unit.
Regards,
Jim
 
Here are a few more pictures of my LP3000.

It's one of those decks that I had never seen before but knew of as a high end rarity. This appeared on UK eBay just before last Christmas as "needs attention" with lots of photos and specs. However the seller kept adding updates, one of which was how he changed the arm belts which made it run perfectly. He then stopped the auction, stating that he was going to re-list it as working.

I figured,nothing ventured, nothing gained, and so emailed him and blatantly asked "How much do you want for it?!" We discussed at length, settled on £350 and I drove a 400 mile round trip the day after New Year's Day to collect it.

It's a real pride of my turntable collection and it a superbly built unit that weighs a ton and sounds excellent. It also has a sensor for track selection like the ADC Accutrac 4000, but this is in a separate sensor block in the headshell so you can fit any cartridge you like behind it (unlike the Accutrac). The downside is that, as this isn't tailored to the deck, the track selection is a bit hit-and-miss (especially with tall-bodied cartridges) so I generally just use it as a fully auto.

All I can say is, if you ever see one - grab it! :thmbsp:

Interestingly, there was an Aiwa AP2600 on UK eBay not long ago, which I was going to bid for, but the seller ended the auction early and gave no response to my enquiries as to why, and if it was still for sale. Maybe this is nature's way of telling me I don't need a 37th turntable..........:D





 
That is a great turntable. I used to Dj in a club in the 80's (82 till 89), and we had 2 Aiwas 2600 with the speckle granite base. They were tough!.One of the turntables had a problem: all of the sudden the RPMs would speed up uncontrollably (really fast), and I had to reset the power until it locked back to the right speed again... Weird problem.. a tech look into the issue but could not figure/duplicate the problem on the bench... Other than that, they were great.
I love this turntable! I'll buy one if I find it...
 
Interestingly, there was an Aiwa AP2600 on UK eBay not long ago, which I was going to bid for, but the seller ended the auction early and gave no response to my enquiries as to why, and if it was still for sale.

:D *ahem*... i'm from the 'nothing ventured nothing gained' school also... :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom