• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Strange interference caused by movement when recording to pc???

the second track may sound more detailed but am I the only one who can hear that squeeking noise as the bass goes deeper? I have listened on other devices and I can still hear it quite prominently.
 
the second track may sound more detailed but am I the only one who can hear that squeeking noise as the bass goes deeper? I have listened on other devices and I can still hear it quite prominently.
Ok, I had it backwards...the clean sample is the onboard sample.

What software and API are you using to record?
 
Ok, I had it backwards...the clean sample is the onboard sample.

What software and API are you using to record?

Audacity for both samples using windows direct sound. Tried changing the interconnects between the pre-amp and the UCA-202 and connecting to a different USB port but no difference.

I can only detect this whistling type noise on clean 12'' pressings I have taken a close listen to some other 7'' records which usually have more surface noise and cannot hear it in bass only sections it may just be disguised by the surface noise nonetheless it is still VERY annoying to hear this on my clean 12'' pressings!

I got the UCA-202 thinking it would give a nice clean interference free rip which in most cases it seems to but this issue with the bass is going to make it end up in the bin! I have already re-recorded a ton of vinyl on this thing only to discover this issue very late on it is most frustrating.

I may upload some more samples later to see if you think the sound quality is still better using the on board where there is more going on than just low end bass.
 
Just to clarify the setup on the first clip is:

SL1200 > Art DJ II pre amp > PC line in using an RCA L/R to 3.5mm adapter cable.

The second clip where there is noise is:

SL1200 > Art DJ II pre amp > UCA-202 > PC USB port.

The motherboard is an Asus M4A78LT-M LE.

Hopefully someone can check their UCA-202 for the same problem so I know that is the sole cause.
 
Given you had a similar problem with the onboard sound I wouldn't blame the usb adc. I'm inclined to think the problem is em interference, which could be from just about anything; cellphone, wireless router or mouse, monitor display...anything that uses an smps, light dimmers, fluorescent fixtures, etc..

The cable that connects the audio to the pc is possibly acting as an antenna, and this may be true even for the usb cable. If you're using inexpensive ready made cables for audio, these often have poor shielding. It might be worth a shot to make up a set using 75 ohm quad shield coax, though it would be tricky to carry the shield into the mini plug. Every plug would have to be jacketed in metal to ensure the shield is complete from end to end.

Also, try to position the sound card in the lowest slot, furthest away from the other boards. Every bit helps.
 
Given you had a similar problem with the onboard sound I wouldn't blame the usb adc. I'm inclined to think the problem is em interference, which could be from just about anything; cellphone, wireless router or mouse, monitor display...anything that uses an smps, light dimmers, fluorescent fixtures, etc..

The cable that connects the audio to the pc is possibly acting as an antenna, and this may be true even for the usb cable. If you're using inexpensive ready made cables for audio, these often have poor shielding. It might be worth a shot to make up a set using 75 ohm quad shield coax, though it would be tricky to carry the shield into the mini plug. Every plug would have to be jacketed in metal to ensure the shield is complete from end to end.

Also, try to position the sound card in the lowest slot, furthest away from the other boards. Every bit helps.

The difference is now the interference is predictable and only occurs audibly in bass only sections where as before it was pretty much constant through all quiet sections and seemed more like the cause was an outside interference as it responded to movement. You can still check the samples I put up at the start of this thread.

I don't know how it could be anything other than the Behringer itself as the sound is already digitized before it reaches the pc, could any external interference change the 1's and 0's the Behringer is feeding into Audacity? I know there is nothing wrong with the grounding or pre amp as there is no interference when I connect it directly to the hi-fi.

Strangely enough since trying the on board sound again for recording I cannot hear any of that motion related interference I heard originally, the only thing is I am now using the Behringer as the playback device while recording, so maybe using the line in / out of the on board sound simultaneously caused the original problem?

I think the recording from the Behringer sounds generally better I just don't understand what is causing this issue in the bass only segments when the on board sound does not even have this problem.
 
anyone have experience with the behringer uca-202 for recording? I want to know if the device is the cause of the above problem or something else in the chain. I heard the behringer had a pretty good burr brown DAC chip for the price but what I am hearing in the quiet bass sections is far from perfect. Why does it only happen using the 202 and not with the on board sound? I have checked and tried changing the input settings from 16/44.1 and back again but nothing solves it.
 
Just done a quick test and noticed simply having anything plugged into the on board line-out (front or rear panel) while using the line-in for recording adds a huge amount of noise which is what can be heard on the original clips in this thread. With nothing plugged into the line-out and using the behringer for playback cuts out a huge amount of noise during the recording, plus the added benefit of no ''tweeting bird'' noises in the quiet bass only sections that can be heard using the behringer for recording... after just recording everything again with the behringer I am somewhat annoyed to discover this only now! I am now going to record some tracks using both devices (on board vs uca-202) to compare the overall sound quality as the problem with the bass using the behringer only occurs very occasionally, I hope some of you can share your opinions on the overall quality of the rips and which one you think is higher quality as I am now having some serious doubts about the behringer, I am starting to think the $35 price tag really was too good to be true!!!
 
I have read several stories like that with on-board sound cards/codecs causing interference and noise. I have been using an onboard (realtek) sound card for some years and it sounds great.

I am using a pretty hefty power supply on my computer and I was wondering if it takes a large power supply, perhaps able to deliver the current required, to avoid noise and interference.
 
I've been using the Behringer UCA-202 for a few years now, and it really is an excellent unit. I'm glad you got it.
 
I've been using the Behringer UCA-202 for a few years now, and it really is an excellent unit. I'm glad you got it.

I am generally happy with the Behringer and think it sounds better than the on board sound for recording I just want to know what that noise is all about on the bass only sections of tracks which I can only seem to detect on clean 12'' pressings. The noise is not there using the on board line-in for recording.

I don't know what type of records you have but would really appreciate if you could check this for me or possibly upload a sample so I can compare it. If you check the last samples I put on divshare a few posts back you should be able to hear what I am referring to.
 
Back
Top Bottom