• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Streaming Music iMac to DAC

RonW.

New Member
OK, I think that I have this figured out!

My 2 channel stereo is in the den, iMac computer in the living room with a apple time capsule (2 TB hard drive) up stairs. What I want to do is connect a new apple airport express to the Rennisance II DAC with a mini optical digital/Toslink cable.

I will manage iTunes on the iMac with my music catalog (over 9000 songs) on the time capsule, the airport express will connect to the time capsule via WIFI. The airport express will connected to the DAC via a mini optical digital/Toslink cable.

Now, if I'm thinking right and my network is set up correctly, I should be able to sit on the couch with my iPad or iPhone and be able to control iTunes and stream music, right?

I know that this is kinda all over the place and a bit confusing, at least to me....

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

RonW.
 
Register to hide this ad
Just an added note. Rather than just being limited to iTunes, you can Option-click the volume slider in the menu bar and send the change the overall output of the iMac to the AE and DAC.
 
Just an added note. Rather than just being limited to iTunes, you can Option-click the volume slider in the menu bar and send the change the overall output of the iMac to the AE and DAC.[/QUOTE

Not following you on option click....

Thanks, RonW.
 
You got it right.
My only beef with Itunes is that it renames your files and limits your player options, but I think the CD player is past it's time.
 
Just an added note. Rather than just being limited to iTunes, you can Option-click the volume slider in the menu bar and send the change the overall output of the iMac to the AE and DAC.[/QUOTE

Not following you on option click....

Thanks, RonW.

He means you can control the volume from your iDevice. I've read it is better to keep the iTunes volume at maximum (at least on a PC) or the audio fidelity will be compromised a little. I just use my receiver/amp's volume control.
 
Actually, I meant that if you hold down the Option key while clicking the Volume icon, it will drop down a menu of Airplay receivers so you can reroute all the sound of the iMac to an airplay device. This way you can use ITunes, or you can play FLAC through VLC, or use MOG or Pandora or Spotify or whatever source you want on the Mac rather than only those that just support Airplay directly. It's a great feature that is mostly undocumented (like so many of the things that actually make a Mac great that the average user never knows about.)
 
I might also point out that using the Volume slider only affects the audio. If you use the actual Airplay icon in Mavericks it will only show Video sources for Airplay Displays like an AppleTV.

Yes you should keep the computer's volume at max if feeding a DAC.
 
Last edited:
That IS a great feature! I wasn't aware of it either, but I don't have any Airplay-equipped devices anyway. I have Apple TV but don't use it much; I usually don't listen to music in the TV room....but I could..:)
 
I think it is misunderstood, but I really believe that Airplay is THE killer app on the Mac.

Unfortunately when they make a system easy to use for basic things, most folks don't go off discovering all the hidden gems that actually make a particular platform so appealing to its true aficionados. And that goes for Win7, Win8, android or any other as well.
 
As I understand it, Airplay is capable of 24/96 streaming, but an AppleTV as an example is limited to 16/48. Not sure on an AE but I bet it's similar. I don't think it would have any issue with 320kbps. I send MOG via an AppleTV and it sounds great. I am not sure what processing happens on the Mac side before sending it out.
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the responses and looks like it helped out a few others....

Great forum!

RonW.
 
As I understand it, Airplay is capable of 24/96 streaming, but an AppleTV as an example is limited to 16/48. Not sure on an AE but I bet it's similar. I don't think it would have any issue with 320kbps. I send MOG via an AppleTV and it sounds great. I am not sure what processing happens on the Mac side before sending it out.

Thanks.

MOG sure has changed the way I listen to music these days and even within MOG, I use MOG radio "artist only" the most. The old rule of GIGO (garbage in/garbage out) still applies but even the less quality recordings still sound pretty good and when a good one comes on... I'm impressed.
 
Let me know what happens with your Wifi setup. Because none of this worked for me using all the same computer components.

The only stream I could get was with apple tv and thats only 16 bit. So needless to say it was all broken up.

I used combos of, 2 tera Time capsule. airport express, airport extreme all together. With my Lion iMac 3.4 Gh, SSD & 2 terabyte HD. with one thin wall separating computer & stereo.

At this point I plug my iPad directly to the charge port USB to my McIntogh D100 for 24 bit.:tears:

There is a wifi DAC that dose 24 bit I forgot the name, $500
 
I should also mention, My iMac recognizes the D100 if plugged in with usb, Then I go into sounds and choose the DAC for sound output
 
The option-click of the volume will let you pick the D100 from the list as well. I do the same for my Peachtree via USB.

Are you storing the media on the Time Capsule? They are notoriously slow for HD access (as is a USB disk attached to an AE).
 
The option-click of the volume will let you pick the D100 from the list as well. I do the same for my Peachtree via USB.

Are you storing the media on the Time Capsule? They are notoriously slow for HD access (as is a USB disk attached to an AE).

No it's in my computer, Airplay just doesn't stream my files, apple tv will though iTunes.

Maybe if there was a different player in the computer.

The only time I see the D100 in my sounds is when it's plugged in to USB.
 
That's the only time you'll see it in there.

Sounds like you may have some wi-fi issues. I wish they would release a new AppleTV with 802.11ac but I'm not holding my breath as it might have to be bigger for the antennae.
 
Back
Top Bottom