• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Streaming Music iMac to DAC

I have been using Airport Express units for several years. Even before Airplay, they had AirTunes and I have never had an issue. I have had three different routers and switched from Windows PCs to Macs. If there is an issue with the signal, it is not related to the Airplay technology.

The airport express is limited to playing 16/44.1, but the 24 bit files should play without issue, with the understanding that they are automatically down sampled to 16/44.1. I have never had an issue with them playing via the Airport Express. If you are having issues, I believe something is wrong with your setup (router, Airport Express setup, or computer). Just for clarification, the Appletv 2 & 3 put out a 16/48 signal regardless of what is being fed to them.

I have my music collection on a USB hard drive attached to an AirPort Extreme. No problems streaming to any Airplay devices I have around the house.
 
Might be worth mentioning that the 1/8" jack on the Airport Express (as well as most Macs) handles both line level out as well as optical via a 1/8" to TOSlink adapter or cable.

Been mentioned before an AK, but some may have missed it.
 
Yes, you've got it right.

However, something to think about for the future. I've been there with the Airport Express and done the whole streaming thing with it around 5 years ago. Then getting a Squeezebox which was an improvement and then getting a Squeezebox Touch which was a further improvement.

As previously mentioned, the Airport Express is limited to 16/44.1.

Latest has been using a Mac Mini headless in conjunction with Audirvana Plus and using an iMac with an 8TB drive as the main music server which improved things even further.

OK, I think that I have this figured out!

My 2 channel stereo is in the den, iMac computer in the living room with a apple time capsule (2 TB hard drive) up stairs. What I want to do is connect a new apple airport express to the Rennisance II DAC with a mini optical digital/Toslink cable.

I will manage iTunes on the iMac with my music catalog (over 9000 songs) on the time capsule, the airport express will connect to the time capsule via WIFI. The airport express will connected to the DAC via a mini optical digital/Toslink cable.

Now, if I'm thinking right and my network is set up correctly, I should be able to sit on the couch with my iPad or iPhone and be able to control iTunes and stream music, right?

I know that this is kinda all over the place and a bit confusing, at least to me....

What do y'all think?

Thanks,

RonW.
 
I agree, you can pick up a used Mini for about $300 and have access to hi-res, though not as simple as an AppleTV or Squeezebox.
 
Back
Top Bottom