• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stromberg -Carlson

Sussex dad

New Member
I m looking at a SP-921k
RC- 88 changer
ASR 433 stereo control amp
SR 445 stereo fm am multicast tuner
RS 404 12” acoustical 2 way speakers
I would like to get some idea of its value.
Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Condition, location and how motivated the seller is in reclaiming their space, all play a part in the price of consoles. Not many are willing to be able to pickup and transport these units. Even if in playing condition they will require work and parts(missing or bad tubes add up quickly) to have playing at their safest and optimum level. Will you be doing some of the work or will you have to pay someone to do the work? I have 3 all tube units and the most I paid was $50 for a functioning all tubed Pilot. I've read many threads of happy S-C console owners here and another site dedicated to vintage consoles. Tubed consoles can be one of the last undervalued areas of the vintage audio world especially if a major brand name isn't attached to it.

Welcome to AK from another console fan.

Mark
 
Condition, location and how motivated the seller is in reclaiming their space, all play a part in the price of consoles. Not many are willing to be able to pickup and transport these units. Even if in playing condition they will require work and parts(missing or bad tubes add up quickly) to have playing at their safest and optimum level. Will you be doing some of the work or will you have to pay someone to do the work? I have 3 all tube units and the most I paid was $50 for a functioning all tubed Pilot. I've read many threads of happy S-C console owners here and another site dedicated to vintage consoles. Tubed consoles can be one of the last undervalued areas of the vintage audio world especially if a major brand name isn't attached to it.

Welcome to AK from another console fan.

Mark
Condition, location and how motivated the seller is in reclaiming their space, all play a part in the price of consoles. Not many are willing to be able to pickup and transport these units. Even if in playing condition they will require work and parts(missing or bad tubes add up quickly) to have playing at their safest and optimum level. Will you be doing some of the work or will you have to pay someone to do the work? I have 3 all tube units and the most I paid was $50 for a functioning all tubed Pilot. I've read many threads of happy S-C console owners here and another site dedicated to vintage consoles. Tubed consoles can be one of the last undervalued areas of the vintage audio world especially if a major brand name isn't attached to it.

Welcome to AK from another console fan.

Mark
 
I plan on doing the work my self. I have a source near by for tubes and maybe some other parts.( I hope). I’m still wondering what to offer. The seller hasn’t given me an idea. Any thoughts?? I don’t know much yet. Any idea how old this may be? I do know it needs new grill cloth. Thanks
 
I plan on doing the work my self. I have a source near by for tubes and maybe some other parts.( I hope). I’m still wondering what to offer. The seller hasn’t given me an idea. Any thoughts?? I don’t know much yet. Any idea how old this may be? I do know it needs new grill cloth. Thanks

I will be going on 60 years old. I'm not a fan of deals where the seller won't state a price. Point out that you don't want to unknowingly insult them with a lower than expected offer. If they've listed the item they should have an idea what they would be happy with and more importantly what the market will bear. You may give a higher price than the seller was expecting. Remember, you are the one who is taking on the cost and burden of transporting and fixing the unit. If in the future it no longer fits your lifestyle, you will be faced with these issues from a potential buyer. I've been fortunate not to have to replace more expensive and hard to find parts like transformers but there is always that possibility.

It does look like they, or you, have done some sleuthing on the components of the unit. If they are expecting close to Ebay sold prices for the components, then they should be prepared to go the Ebay route(with all its headaches) to sell them. I did see some completed sales for the amp. One was $50 though this seems to be an outlier with a very low BIN price. Unless rare and highly sought after, consoles usually sell for far less than the sum of their parts.

Unless this particular model has sentimental value there will be others. It may take some time but I enjoy the journey. Let us know how you fare and good luck!

Mark
 
I will be going on 60 years old. I'm not a fan of deals where the seller won't state a price. Point out that you don't want to unknowingly insult them with a lower than expected offer. If they've listed the item they should have an idea what they would be happy with and more importantly what the market will bear. You may give a higher price than the seller was expecting. Remember, you are the one who is taking on the cost and burden of transporting and fixing the unit. If in the future it no longer fits your lifestyle, you will be faced with these issues from a potential buyer. I've been fortunate not to have to replace more expensive and hard to find parts like transformers but there is always that possibility.

It does look like they, or you, have done some sleuthing on the components of the unit. If they are expecting close to Ebay sold prices for the components, then they should be prepared to go the Ebay route(with all its headaches) to sell them. I did see some completed sales for the amp. One was $50 though this seems to be an outlier with a very low BIN price. Unless rare and highly sought after, consoles usually sell for far less than the sum of their parts.

Unless this particular model has sentimental value there will be others. It may take some time but I enjoy the journey. Let us know how you fare and good luck!

Mark
Thank you for your learned insight. I agree with you. I will let you know how things go. John
 
Condition, location and how motivated the seller is in reclaiming their space, all play a part in the price of consoles.

I concur and I would also add there are some sellers out there that think these consoles are worth 1000's of dollars due to a few that have sold for that much on ebay. They think that they should be able to get the same amount in their neck of the woods too. Here's hoping the seller is rational and can provide you with verification that the unit works as it should.

A good sign is that he/she has provided a detailed break down of the units in the console at least you know what you might be getting.

I m looking at a SP-921k
RC- 88 changer
ASR 433 stereo control amp
SR 445 stereo fm am multicast tuner
RS 404 12” acoustical 2 way speakers
I would like to get some idea of its value.
Thanks


I don’t know much yet. Any idea how old this may be?

This should give you an idea if it's original to the console

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/stromberg_high_fidelity_stereophonic_center_asr_433.html
 
I concur and I would also add there are some sellers out there that think these consoles are worth 1000's of dollars due to a few that have sold for that much on ebay. They think that they should be able to get the same amount in their neck of the woods too. Here's hoping the seller is rational and can provide you with verification that the unit works as it should.

A good sign is that he/she has provided a detailed break down of the units in the console at least you know what you might be getting.






This should give you an idea if it's original to the console

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/stromberg_high_fidelity_stereophonic_center_asr_433.html
Thank you for the information. I’ll see what the seller has to say. He hasn’t gotten back to me yet as to what works and what doesn’t.
 
Thank you for the information. I’ll see what the seller has to say. He hasn’t gotten back to me yet as to what works and what doesn’t.
Honestly, most of the value is in the tube amp and frankly you don't want him to actually test that. You want to get it and recap it before it sees any power. Gear this old shouldn't be expected to be plug and play. Based on my SC console pull, it should be very easy to work on and well worth the effort. I like my SC better than my Magnavox or Dynaco and it actually approaches my Leak.
 
Honestly, most of the value is in the tube amp and frankly you don't want him to actually test that. You want to get it and recap it before it sees any power. Gear this old shouldn't be expected to be plug and play. Based on my SC console pull, it should be very easy to work on and well worth the effort. I like my SC better than my Magnavox or Dynaco and it actually approaches my Leak.
I’ve been in contact and am close to coming to terms. Thanks
 
Back
Top Bottom