• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

stylus pressure gauge

john3769

New Member
Anyone know where to get a stylus pressure gauge and also a protractor wills a protractor bought be the same as the original. I also seen a link here for pressure on the stylus and tacking force for different cartridge if anyone remembers .Thanks John
 
Register to hide this ad
Go with the digital far more accurate and less of a fuss to set tracking force. I'm not bashing the Shure as I have one myself but from using the Digital I found it more accurate and easier to work with especially if your using multiple head shells.
 
Places like Old Will Knot Scales carries boatloads of different scales, many of very high quality, without the " boutique audio shop" exhorbitant prices.

Many of these knicknamed "dope scales", are also used for things like jewelry, coins, etc. Many also don't provide provision for resting a Stylus upon at the desired height, and are too thick for resting on a platter surface. These shortcomings can be compensated for-corrected, by either making a non-magnetic ledge attached to the Scale Weighing Platform to rest Stylus upon, or to make a small platform (a deck of cards for instance) to set the Scale upon alongside the Platter.

One doesn't need a Scale which weighs up to 200-500 grams, and will actually be preferable that the Scale has a smaller range of something like 0-50g at most. Mark
 
Trusty old AR stylus gauge.. checked it's accuracy on a very high dollar calibrated digital scale that measures to .01 grams, and my simple little AR beam scale is very accurate. I calibrated the 1 gram weight as it was a little less than 1/10 gram too heavy. And no batteries required! I wonder how many of these are still in use these days and have all the pieces together :scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • ar-stylus-gage.jpg
    ar-stylus-gage.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 129
The cd 100 is what I think I need reads to 100g is that correct .Aso proctractor just any bought one should work. Thanks for all the answers .
 
Places like Old Will Knot Scales carries boatloads of different scales, many of very high quality, without the " boutique audio shop" exhorbitant prices.

Many of these knicknamed "dope scales", are also used for things like jewelry, coins, etc. Many also don't provide provision for resting a Stylus upon at the desired height, and are too thick for resting on a platter surface. These shortcomings can be compensated for-corrected, by either making a non-magnetic ledge attached to the Scale Weighing Platform to rest Stylus upon, or to make a small platform (a deck of cards for instance) to set the Scale upon alongside the Platter.

One doesn't need a Scale which weighs up to 200-500 grams, and will actually be preferable that the Scale has a smaller range of something like 0-50g at most. Mark

Would something like this work, maybe? I am looking to get one also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...go=DR&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=2
 
I wonder how many of these are still in use these days and have all the pieces together :scratch2:

Another AR scale user here.

arg.jpg
 
Trusty old AR stylus gauge.. checked it's accuracy on a very high dollar calibrated digital scale that measures to .01 grams, and my simple little AR beam scale is very accurate. I calibrated the 1 gram weight as it was a little less than 1/10 gram too heavy. And no batteries required! I wonder how many of these are still in use these days and have all the pieces together :scratch2:

ed, I have absolutely no disbelief in what you have said, that inexpensive, old trusty scales such as this, and others like the Shure are very good, and accurate.

Good enough in fact, that one should not hesistate setting up a $7500 Cartridge with them, once they know just how accurate they are by some simple tests-checks.

With any Beam-Type Scale, it is a bit hard, setting a reference lab weight upon them to confirm accuracy. This is of course easier to do with a digital scale.

I had my own doubts with the Proscale LC-50 I bought from Old Will Knot for $29, until I seen lab reference weights thrown on it, and a 1.00g weight read 1.00g, a 2.00g read 2.00g, a 5.00g weight read 5.00g, and so on, and so forth up to 50.00g, with dead on accuracy.

With a better scale, a teeter-totter type can be checked, via the Arm-Cartridge itself. A more important feature-quality of a scale, is repeatability, rather than utmost exacting accuracy. It supposed to be the ear, which can identify the best tracking force, rather than trusting any scale, including the $800 Winds Scale. Mark
 
Some of the Digi scales come with their own weights to calibrate with.
 
I'm curious why the passion for scales that read to hundreths of a gram. Tracking force is a more or less proposition -- to the degree that the exact force matters, it should be set by ear for every different temperature and every different amount of modulation. But who's going to do that?
I think getting within a quarter of a gram is probably important, but as long as you err on the highside, it doesn't matter than much.
Keeping a constant temperature and aligning the cartridge correctly are more important in my opinion.
Vinyl engine has several protractors that can be downloaded and printed, and I just tried the one that allows you do do Bauerwald, Lofgren and Stevenson alignments very easily, and found it as quick an easy to use as my Dennessen Soundtractor. Getting the alignment correct makes a real difference, and one that is always good.
 
you're exactly right Nat. The old Shure or AR scales were more than good enought for those mfrs and everyone who used them back then. It's mostly just the idea of being able to precicesly read what your tracking force actually is. It's all part of the whole turntable/tonearm/cartridge thing that gets some folks all excited. For me it's just gonna be another toy to put in a box when done playing with it setting up a couple TTs. Others may not agree but that's ok by me. I'll be able to see how good my old shure gage is.
 
Back
Top Bottom