• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stylus Tracking Force Gauge - Recommendations?

I'm considering buying a stylus tracking force gauge but there seem to be quite a few to choose from.

I would appreciate any recommendations for a gauge that is firstly very accurate and secondly reasonably priced.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Digital or mechanical? I have an American Weigh digital (forget what part number) but look thru their site, the "Matchbox" series is great as they are thin but batteries don't last long enough -- get one that takes 2. Needs to have a stainless platter if you are using MC type carts though. I love mine.
 
shure SFG $25. THE stylus force ga.

The Shure gauge is certainly priced right but the digital scales look like they would be more convenient.

On the other hand I wonder how accurate the less expensive digital scales are - or if they are any more or less accurate than the Shure:scratch2:
 
Another vote here for the Shure SFG. It's a simple and dependable device that isn't going to suddenly quit on you. At the time I bought my Pro-Ject Xpression III, the salesman at the shop asked what I would use to check the stylus tracking force. When I told him I had the Shure SFG and wasn't afraid to use it, he simply smiled and mumbled something about old and reliable.
 
Last edited:
$12.99 shipped

sku_16269_3.jpg



http://www.dealextreme.com/p/digital-precision-scale-with-leather-case-5g-max-0-01g-resolution-16269
 
I know I'm late to the party - the OP has already made a choice, but the issue of Shure or Ortofon balance scales wafted by. Just couldn't resist saying that I have both, and having used them I much prefer the Shure style over the Ortofon style.

First, the Ortofon scale is logarithmic, not linear like a ruler. On the Ortophon the distance from 2 to 3 is smaller than the distance from 1 to 2. This makes choosing a stylus pressure value between marked points on the scale an exercise in inaccuracy. So far I haven't conceived a way to add more useful markings that wouldn't affect the weight on that end of the beam.

The second thing I disliked with my Ortofon was a tendency for the balance beam to bind. This was not caused by any tight fit or residual burrs from manufacturing. All parts were very smooth and the scale moved without restriction when pushed with a finger. I attribute this occasional binding to the fact that the groove designed to hold the stylus runs runs lengthwise down the balance beam as opposed to the Shure's method of having stylus grooves run across the beam. As a stylus is raised and lowered on the end of a tonearm it does not move in a straight line, but in a small arc. Maybe the side forces generated when the stylus does not enter the groove exactly centered are enough to cause friction on the weighted end of the balance beam. Often when this binding occurred a slight nudge to reposition the scale would allow free movement.

Small criticisms, maybe. But the Ortofon style scale has them enough to tip my preference toward the Shure style scale.
 
just ordered a dealextream scale at less than 20 w/batts and weight and free shhiping figured its a toy worth playing with. can use to keep my SFG2 honest if need be.
 
I've had the Shure for years, and still have it. Haven't used it for years either.

It works, but of course isn't as convenient as many digitals are.

The digital pictured is one of those Camrong scales. I had one, didn;t like it at all, and sent it back. I might have gotten a bad one, was inconsistent with proper reading, and unreliable, so back it went for refund. Was bought from an audio dealer, but probably makes no difference where they come from. Price on them vary from peanuts, to astronomical.

A company like Old Will Knott deals strictly in scales, and carries a myriad of very good scales at cheap prices, and many are not at all toys.

I finally settled on a Clearaudio clone from them, the Proscale LC-50, (weighs to 50 grms down to .01g increments) and it is dead accurate. I also like the fact it uses regular AAA batteries, and not some harder to get, and more expensive camera type batteries.

Downside with a scale like the Proscale LC-50, or those similar, is a weighing platform that is not ideally suitable for just simply setting on the platter. The LC-50 has a platform height of .6" One can do as others have, making a weighing ledge from a credit card, or some non-ferrous metal. Or create some form of stand that the scale can sit next to the platter at platter-record height. That's what I did. Mark
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom