• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Suggestion...

AZBiker

New Member
I would like to make a suggestion. Create a forum for, "techs" only. A place where technically trained folks can look for technical answers. I understand that under the different, "brand" forum there are a lot of technical folks posting but there are also a lot of weekend warriors using this forum and their receiver to become a, "technician".

It would really be helpful to separate the wheat from the chaff. To get info from folks who have, ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED specific issues. I'm not demeaning folks who have decided to fix their own gear; I'm saluting them! And I hope they learn and share. The issue is, currently, this board isn't formatted to separate experienced technicians for weekend warriors.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Brian
 
Register to hide this ad
To OP:
I was chaff.
And now I have about 13 full high quality restorations under my belt thanks to the wheat in here. They didn't just hand me solutions to issues, they taught me to think it out. The techs in here jump out at you and are so helpful and intelligent.
This place is a school.
A tech section would be counter productive.
What would be the purpose?
 
I’m less than chaff. I know basically nothing. I like quality sound and equipment. I’ve only done the very basic of things with speakers. Never with electronics.
With all of that said, I have learned a lot on trouble shooting.
To the OP, try as others have suggested. Give it some time.
 
I'd rather see all of the brands in two separate forums. One for restorations, repairs & mods and the other for general reviews, experiences & opinions. That might help prevent some of the off-topic wandering in some of the threads. Leave it up to the "Fix It" crowd to determine who's a newb and who's a so-called pro in the first forum.
 
I'd rather see all of the brands in two separate forums. One for restorations, repairs & mods and the other for general reviews, experiences & opinions. That might help prevent some of the off-topic wandering in some of the threads.
Nice thought.
 
From my experience in other forums, creating too many divisions/sections is a mistake. A lot of people who could help, never sees the questions posted in other sections, and the forum slowly loses interest. It happened in a Linux forum I use to participate. They divided in many sections for each linux version (of the same distribution), so there are many questions that could be answered for somebody using another version, and never sees them.

Here at AK, I usually see technical questions posted in the brand specific sub forums, questions that could be answered by people not participating in that specific sub forum. That reduces the chances of getting an answer.

Anyway, I think some kind of tag, division or label to identify a technical/repair question from other kind of topics could be helpful. Even if the thread title is enough in most of the cases.
 
From my experience in other forums, creating too many divisions/sections is a mistake. A lot of people who could help, never sees the questions posted in other sections, and the forum slowly loses interest. It happened in a Linux forum I use to participate. They divided in many sections for each linux version (of the same distribution), so there are many questions that could be answered for somebody using another version, and never sees them.

Here at AK, I usually see technical questions posted in the brand specific sub forums, questions that could be answered by people not participating in that specific sub forum. That reduces the chances of getting an answer.

Anyway, I think some kind of tag, division or label to identify a technical/repair question from other kind of topics could be helpful. Even if the thread title is enough in most of the cases.

This is why there should be two sub forums for each specific brand that AK determines to have enough interest. One sub forum would be for tech talk, repair and restoration related topics while the other would be for model specific info, personal reviews, and opinions. It shouldn't be very difficult to understand and follow. Then, if AK finds little to no interest in a brand specific sub forum, they can remove it. I'm suggesting this because to me, AK has become pretty much a tech talk, repair and restore, site with very little talk about new products. If that's the ultimate wish by AK and the public, so be it. If it is, AK should specify that their forums are for technical, repair, and restoration only. It's become kind of a dead end for people who want info and opinions on NEW audio products.
 
Sorry guys. I see some of you interpreted my suggestion wrong. I come from the ham radio sector where we have what is known as, "Elmers". They're, long-term, experienced operators who have real-world experience and don't take, "shots in the dark". Any ham operators on here will know what I'm talking about. You have, "greenhorns" then you have, "Elmers". If you're offended because you don't qualify as an Elmer, then perhaps you shouldn't reply with generic responses.

My post wasn't intended to offend. But, if you don't agree that every swinging dick on AK can reply to an earnest problem, then I wish you luck. I don't want to have to separate the wheat from the chaff. There was a time when there was a difference between, "vintage audio collectors" and, "technicians". It seems today that everybody is trying to be a technician, with absolutely no experience, training or skill. They think if you have a soldering iron and a $5 Harbor Freight DMM, they can fix their own gear. That's what I'd like to avoid. If you disagree, then I wish you luck. I hope you find answers from inexperienced, johnny-come-lately, "techs".
 
They think if you have a soldering iron and a $5 Harbor Freight DMM, they can fix their own gear. That's what I'd like to avoid.
As a life long electronics tech and a fixer and modifier of old crap. Those will 100% work for anything I need in this hobby or fixing a Ham radio for my dad when I visit.

Valid point on technical knowledge but anything in this hobby is easliy learned, it's not effing rocket science, it's actually fairly easy down at point to point tube stuffs.
:beerchug:

Edit: bad analogy, I actually know some rocket dudes and it's like your what :yikes: :D
 
I would like to make a suggestion. Create a forum for, "techs" only. A place where technically trained folks can look for technical answers. I understand that under the different, "brand" forum there are a lot of technical folks posting but there are also a lot of weekend warriors using this forum and their receiver to become a, "technician".

It would really be helpful to separate the wheat from the chaff. To get info from folks who have, ACTUALLY EXPERIENCED specific issues. I'm not demeaning folks who have decided to fix their own gear; I'm saluting them! And I hope they learn and share. The issue is, currently, this board isn't formatted to separate experienced technicians for weekend warriors.

Thanks for hearing me out!

Brian
I think there are sites dedicated to such posters. That's probably where you want to go to be limited to "just the experts" - and the particular site can enforce their exclusionary rules.
 
Back
Top Bottom