• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Suggestions on small receivers.

Tube Radio

Super Member
What would be a good small receiver to look for? Power output need not be greater than 20 WPC. New or vintage Solid state or tube doesn't much matter to me as long as it has proper tone controls I would prefer something that has a midrange control in addition to the bass and treble controls as my speakers due to design lack a little in the mids. It will be used at work which is why the receiver must be small.
 
Register to hide this ad
Do you mean small in power of small in size?

Some vintage Marantz receivers had midrange controls, but I'm not sure if the baby Marantz's (2210, 2215, etc) had them. I do know the 30 wpc 2230 had them. though. They are not what I'd call physically small, though.

This might be a feature that was bundled in the upper echelon of many manufacturer's lineup.
 
I've just checked with a place that has a HK330C for sale @ $100.00 in VGC. I asked them for the dimensions of the unit. If it's small enough I may get it unless someone here has one they would like to sell.
 
I've got a Marantz 2226B that has midrange controls. Its one of the blueface, smaller Marantz receiversl Nice thing about it is it has separate left & right controls for trebble, bass & mids. Very nice sound :yes: There's on fleabay now. Last I checked a few days ago it was only up to about $50. No its not mine, I'll be buried with mine...
 
4-1/2 inches high
9 inches deep
15-1/2 inches wide
The only thing lacking is the midrange control. This is a very nice sounding receiver.
Harmon Kardon 230
 
I.m happy with my Sansui 551. It is about 15 WPC, but does not have midrange control. It sound pretty good good. They don't seem to go for a whole lot of cash, I paid $10 bucks for mine at a garage sale. The go pretty cheap on Ebay to.
 
I second the Sansui 551 praise. I have one that gets continual use even though there are more powerful receivers in my collection. It is a very sweet sounding little unit.

Another favorite: KLH model 52, though it might be slightly bigger than your needs. It's about 25 wpc and always manages to sound "right". I love the clean looks of it, too. It's one of my favorite receivers, regardless of wattage.

-john
 
How small? Small in 1975 and small now are two different things. My "small" Sansui 551 is still the size of a standard black box from best buy. I like my little Fisher 160t reciever. Very small by the standards of the day. Not the best sound quality, but the tuner is very interesting (tune-o-matic presets, no long dial face). Sounds good with efficient speakers, though. About a foot wide. There is another thread just like this one somewhere with a lot of recommendations...size was the biggest (smallest?) issue.

-john
 
Small as in about the size of a LaFayette LA424 amplifier. They frown on large radios where I work. I may check my local flea market as there is a guy there every weekend that sellsall the audio stuff. Receivers, amps, preamps speakers you get the picture. He might have something small. Everything I've bought from him so far has been in good if not excellent working condition.
 
Maybe skimp on a receiver all together and get one of the mini low powered integrated amps and a tuner if you wanted. Just another idea. :)
I was gonna suggest the Advent 300 as well earlier but I refrained as you were looking for something with mid-range controls. It is how ever a nice little 15wpc receiver.
 
I have a 10wpc Marantz 2010 receiver that is quite small.
Works great with with my 15wpc/98 db. eff. speakers (Coral BX-200).

Steve
 
Back
Top Bottom