• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Suggestions on small receivers.

I have a 10wpc Marantz 2010 receiver that is quite small.
Works great with with my 15wpc/98 db. eff. speakers (Coral BX-200).

Steve

Both the Marantz 2010 & 2015 are about 20-25% smaller than the regular 22XX recievers. I have a 2015, it sounds and looks very nice.
 
I'll check a source this weekend and let you all know what I find if anything. If I do find just a small amp I may spring for one of those Tivoli radios and use it just for the tuner. They are pretty small and have a great FM tuner in them to boot. Thanks for all the help so far.
 
I like my Pioneer SX3600 Fluroscan receiver.... it's small when compared to other vintage receivers... but I still had to remove the wood side pieces in order to get it into my "modern" stereo rack (it measures slightly over 17" wide with the wood panels and my rack is 17" wide exactly)... no mid range tone control though. Nothing a good EQ can't cure :)

These can be had for a fairly decent price and puts out around 30 wpc...I have it coupled to a pair of HPM-500s and they compliment each other well, a Sansui SE-9 Equalizer sits in between the sound source and the receiver allowing me to fully control the sound....
 
I'll second the Pioneer Fluroscan as a good receiver. I picked up an sx 3700 (45 wpc) on ebay for under $45 bucks. It was about the same to ship it. It's a great sounding little receiver and its quartz tuner happens to lock in FM radio really well, too. No freq. drift. Very clean sound - no background noise at all from a CD. Any of the smaller vintage Pioneer sx silverface receivers will work great. The price seems to drop off steeply under 50 wpc. Just be picky and get one that's in really good condition. It's better to try to find one locally (your craigslist, paper, etc.) so you can try it before you buy and also save on the shipping costs, but that's not an option for everyone. Good luck and enjoy the hunt - that's half the fun. :)

Pioneers - sx 3700, sx 3800, sx 3900 (x2), sx 850
 
Just another suggestion, I wouldn't really be bothered by the lack of a mid-range tone control, just reduce the bass and treble tone controls to (apparently) boost the mid-range.
 
CR-220.jpg

attachment.php


The CR-220 has a nice variable loudness control... in effect a special case midrange cut control, to mimic the Fletcher-Munson curves of perceived frequency sensitivity as a function of sound level.
You can peruse the CR-220 manual here: http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/AFR/CR-220.pdf


The CR-240 also has the variable loudness.

attachment.php
 
There are some really small receivers that Teac is making lately that sound good and take up very little space indeed, maybe 8-10" width. They're modular, so you can get a CDP that matches etc. If you're interested I can check what the model is. I saw them in a high end audio shop here awhile back, so I'm pretty sure they're current issue.

Found them on their website, here's a link: http://www.teac.com/consumer_electronics/CR-H227i.html
 
I'll have to pass on that as it's a little too much for the budget at the moment. I do like it though. Maybe I can get it for Christmas. Also the only places i saw that carries them were either in Canada or the UK.
 
My recommendation is for the Hitachi SR-1800, SR-1900 or SR-2000 models....

No midrange control, though. The SR-1800 delivers 18 watts per channel (23 wrms). There are smaller receivers out there, but these Hitachi's will drive 4 ohm speakers. Analog tuning. A lamp on the tuning needle is the only illumination on the unit, making it a better match for the office or garage than for the bedroom. Standard footprint but very short in height, not expensive, competently engineered & produced for what it is - a basic receiver.
 
Last edited:
I have a Technics SA-400 that is a small size (at least for 1978) and while it does not have mid-range controls (but has low and high filters) it sounds quite nice. I also recommend the Vector Research VRX-3500A which is also a decent compact size and does have the mid-range controls. I don't think it sounds as nice as the Technics unit (I can already hear much controversy over that statement) although it has a fantastic tuner.

Apart from that, I second the suggestions of the HK 330 series receivers. They are small and pack a lot of punch. I have had several of them in the past and they managed to find their way in to some of my friends homes when they were replaced by other equipment. I believe they are still in use today and I know one of them absolutely adores the 330B. My only advice is to stay away from the 330C units as HK production switched from Japan to Taiwan on their lower end units and the build quality suffered considerably, although the sound quality was just as good. Also, $100 is a bit much for one. I am sure it is worth that, although they can be found for a lot less (I paid $5.00 for one and $10.00 for another if that gives you an idea).
 
I have a very nice little Sony 6045 that I bought from fellow AK'er. 20 WPC, nice wood cab. Not as wide as other vintage receivers. No mid's control.

Sony6045.jpg
 
I may have found one. I checked with the guy at my local flea market and he has a small receiver that he hasn't checked out yet so I will go back next weekend and see if he has it. Thanks for all the help so far.
 
I have a small masterwork receiver that's small but it has no midrange controls but It is about 20 WPC...

I love little underrated receivers..

You cold Try an electrophonic receiver with those round dials (I want one just to look at) :drool: :drool: :drool:

Or better Acoustic dynamics/S.D
 
Sherwood 7100A. 17 wpc, one of the sweetest little receivers I ever heard. Very warm sound, too, which might help your mids (as there's no mid control as I recall).
 
Technics made some compact receivers with orderly clutter. I always thought these looked cool but never had the guts to buy one.
 

Attachments

  • sa-360.jpg
    sa-360.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I'm thinking of going with this one http://www.teac.com/consumer_electronics/CR-H227i.html I found it here http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.pro...RH227I&JRSource=DealTime.datafeed.TEA+CRH227I I assume the tone controls are accessed by the remote control. I like it as I can use an iPod with it if I so desire which I may do in the future and also it's pretty small. Don't know if you all wil know this, but since it has a sub pre out jack will I get full frequency response from the main amps or not or will that be selectible from the remote control as to what if anything goes to the sub pre out jack.
 
Back
Top Bottom