• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sumo Polaris Power Amplifier - What a Surprise!

I tend to forget about the Athena, when I bought one I had to return two of them before I got a useable one. The third one was useable but had hum from the toroid power xfmr. I ended up putting the xfmr in a separate enclosure and then the preamp was quiet. That was my introduction to the supposed quietness of toroids, NOT! Also I tend to concentrate on the stuff by JB.

Craig
 
A bit of history I found on the founder of Sumo, from a post on the Klipsch forums about the Electro/Andromeda combo.
https://community.klipsch.com/index...amp-both-completely-overhauled-by-soundsmith/

Designed by James Bongiorno who's long and storied career spans two entirely distinct eras, from Hadley, Dynaco, Marantz, and SAE in the 1960s, to Constellation Audio in the second decade of the 21st century. Bongiorno designed amplifiers in six different decades, working alongside other industry legends such as Richard Sequerra, Sidney Smith, David Hafler, Morris Kessler, John Curl, and Bascom King. Bongiorno will best be remembered for Great American Sound (GAS), the company he founded in 1974 after leaving SAE. The GAS Ampzilla power amplifier was an instant classic, outperforming many much more expensive amplifiers and sending ripples through the industry. Bongiorno was eventually forced out and the company folded a few years later. He quickly founded a new company, Sumo Electric Company, Ltd., to bring his circuits to moderately priced products. As with GAS, disputes between business partners led to Sumo’s premature demise.


Sumo enthusiasts probably know all this stuff but I'm just catching up.
 
What about the Sumo Diana preamp? I'm seeing one on Ebay, it mentions JB but may not be his design? It's two pieces w/separate power supply.

Sumo Diana.jpg
 
I owned one of the mid priced Great American Sound (GAS) preamps, the Thalia, and I must say the construction and sound quality was excellent. Just the tactile feel of the volume control knob was seductive. I'm sure the Sumo is equal if not better.

James Bongiorno was quite the fashion plate so to speak and I mean this as a complement, He had a green velvet blazer which I'd love to own even today.

Michael
 
The Athena was a few years after JB sold the company, the Electra was the only one by him that made it to market as far as I know. Kinda wish it was made in the USA instead of Japan though.

I'm working on another AKer's Thalia II at the moment, just basic maintenance so far. Yes, the rotary controls are very nice with SOLID aluminum knobs.

Craig
 
I finally tracked down an Electra Plus, should be here Thursday, still on the lookout for non-PLUS though. Non-PLUS was James' the PLUS was by Rich May. I wonder what the difference is?

Craig
 
Hi fellow gear heads. I realize this is a fairly old thread, but didn't want to start a new one. I have a Polaris coming and just wanted opinions on how you think it will pair with my Adcom GTP-450 pre. Thanks in advance
 
Hi fellow gear heads. I realize this is a fairly old thread, but didn't want to start a new one. I have a Polaris coming and just wanted opinions on how you think it will pair with my Adcom GTP-450 pre. Thanks in advance
Well the amp came and I can honestly say it sounds as good as, if not better than, my 200w per chan. SAE and BGW. Mates perfectly with my Adcom GTP-450. Any feedback on this amp is appreciated
 
Back
Top Bottom