• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Supplier for Magnepan fabric?

Register to hide this ad
Well I did two sets with fabrics from Joanne’s Fabric.

You need good stretch otherwise you’ll be wrestling with it.

Good luck

Eric
 
I looked there earlier today and the place was a little overwhelming and nothing seemed to be the proper stretchy and transparent that the original ones are. Do you know what the type of fabric was called?
 
Magnepan sells a great dark gray grill material. My MG12/qr's and SMGa's are recovered in it. I had some extra left over and covered my Dahlquist DQ-12's. I have some pics I took of the Dahlquists handy that show the material - its very stretchy.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0212(1).jpg
    IMG_0212(1).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0210(1).jpg
    IMG_0210(1).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 47
https://www.guilfordofmaine.com/ supplies acoustic fabrics but I don't know if any have any stretch to them as you would want for the socks. I did a pair of MG-2.5/R socks in the black from parts-express.

I'd call guilford of maine and ask if they have an fabrics with some stretch and then see if their color options are what you need.

A knit fabric will have stretch and some of the Joanne's fabrics not in the speaker grille cloth section might do what you need them to do. Maybe wander through their store and look over some fabrics.

Stretch can be in one or more directions depending on the fabric.

Magnepan's older off white fabric, the typical grille cloth material from back in the 70s it seems is not stretchy and maybe a non-stretch fabric properly made will fit tight to the speaker and work well.
 
Last edited:
I went with Acoustimac DMD Acoustic Fabric in Orange which is really more of a rust. It was the right combination of stretchy and thin although not as thin as the original black sock. The Guilford's stuff was very nice, but much less stretchy and more appropriate for vintage guitar amps or more normal speakers esp those sansui, pioneer, etc. that have the wood lattice (Guildford's had tons of very interesting multi-colored fabric for instance). It will take me a while to convince the wife to help me with the sewing machine, but I'll upload pictures when done. Acoustimac sent 8"x8" samples whereas Guilford's sent small samples on cardboard so it was much easier to get a sense of the fabric from the Acoustimac samples. Thanks for everyone's help!
 
Hi everyone. I wanted to show you the finished product with the Acoustimac fabric. The only hard part was the sewing, which my wife did for me. Happy to answer any questions on the process.

IMG-0150.jpg IMG-0149.jpg
 
Eager to see the pictures ...
 
A great job!!
FYI, I replaced the socks (changing from black to off-white) on my Tympani IVa's about a year ago; six socks in all!. Got the replacements directly from Magnepan. They are still at their original location in White Bear Lake MN. I understand the Wendel D. and Jim W. are still alive and kicking, but the active staff is much younger than them, or me. The service manager handled by inquiries in a timely fashion. FWIW... about the same time, I upgraded the crossovers from passive to active. Magnepan provided the specs and I provided the scratch build electronic crossovers. I should have made this change 30 years ago when these speakers were new... bi-amped 2 x 200W for each speaker produces an amazing sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom