• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Supreme 500 or 700m or Marantz 2385. What should I decide?

I like both marantz and Kenwood, but I'm more of a Kenwood fan because I have a Kenwood Ka-9100.

They are both great, but I may just think about getting that supreme 500.
 
Auctions are over so this may be a moot point, but I would choose the Marantz because:

  1. It has a radio!
  2. It is one third the price (WTH - 2385's are $500 now - I guess the economy really is bad)!
  3. It is better looking!
IMHO, you must understand.

NN: Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with you.

True, the 2385 has a tuner and a decent one at that but I just don't listen to FM very much. While I like the 2385's amp, it is not the fastest or best sounding and IMO, too much of a compromise for having a tuner.

True, getting the 700M/C/T set would probably cost $1500.

Debatable on the looks. Marantz receivers look just right and the 2385 is definitely a good looker. OTOH, the 700 series has a serious look that reflects the internal build.

Sound winner is the 700M, hands down. The 2385 sounds like a very good receiver but (unlike the 16.5) does not come close to separates. Owned them both and kept the 700's.

S.
 
Well everyone, I did not get this 700m. I bided $450 then $500 and then somebody bided $750 and then right at the end somebody bided over $1000.

Well, I'll wait till something else comes.

$1000 is a fair price for this gem. Un-restored 700M's can hit $600 or more.
 
Back
Top Bottom