• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Surround Processor & separate amps

I have been using the same amplifiers for the past 12 years with three different processors. If I wanted I could update to another processor right now . But who needs atmosphere, I don't. But thats another story. I have saved many thousands of dollars by staying one generation behind the latest and greatest offerings spurred on by Dolby and others.

Question for you, since you seem to have the same priorities as me. Right now I have a Fisher X202B and Klipsch Forte II's. I also have my projection screen and Apple TV 4 in the same space, using a sound bar. I also have another power amp (Elan Z660) with two free channels, in the same space, driving my back yard system. I was thinking of getting a preamp-processor with gain control, running the front speaker outputs to the Fisher/Klipsch, running rear speaker outputs to the Elan (and TBD rears), and ditching the soundbar. Does this sound feasible? What preamp processor do you use? I'd like to find an older unit on the cheap (under $200) if possible. Space is also at a premium, so hopefully i can find something relatively space efficient. I would also want a unified volume control on the preamp since I will be using two different amps. Any advice you might have would be appreciated! (CC: @Grenadeslio)
 
@jonnyz123

People do that sort of thing.

Following this should get you going, at least with an overall view of setting up the levels/gains. Switching between HT configurations and 2 channel?

The Z660 has level adjustments too, but probably won't need to fiddle with those. A pre/pro will have level adjustments for each individual channel output too and a volume control that will be the master volume when using the HT aspect of the system.
 
Last edited:
@jonnyz123

People do that sort of thing.

Following this should get you going, at least with an overall view of setting up the levels/gains. Switching between HT configurations and 2 channel?

Thank you @whoaru99. That helps a lot. So I guess I would go Aux 2 on my Fisher X202B, find the right volume, and then I could use the Z660 for the rears, playing with gain if needed. The question is what might be the best unit to serve as my Pre-Pro? @Grenadeslio was kind enough to recommend the Carver DPL-33, and I came across the NAD 910, which I'm not sure allows for a simple four-channel config. I don't need amplification, so hopefully finding a pure pre-pro will cut down on the footprint. Anything come to mind, on the cheap?

Another question...what if anything do I lose with an older unit that does not understand the latest sound processing (Atmos, etc...) given a 4, or possibly 5 channel setup? All content is streamed through ATV 4th.

Thanks again, this is very helpful!!
 
If you're not that big into HT I wouldn't be too concerned about ATMOS because that requires extra speakers to implement effectively. However, personally, I would not get any unit that didn't have at least Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic II (DPLII) capability. Dolby Digital provides discrete surround capability from sources so encoded and DPLII, while a matrix decoder, does a MUCH better job at creating surround sound than the predecessor Dolby Pro Logic (DPL).

There should be some consideration too for video connectivity. In some cases one can do without HDMI connections on the pre/pro but, IMO, it makes things much more convenient to dispense with additional work around wiring/connection schemes. Listing out your video strategy might help with recommendations in that regard.
 
What are peoples thoughts, experience, and/or recommendations on surround preamps/processors and separate power amps? I have 4 dual-mono power amps that I would really like to use in my theater setup. My reasoning is primarily because I would much rather replace the head unit when I want an upgrade as opposed to replacing the entire system, and secondly I don't trust how hot all in one receivers get within such a small enclosure. I really just want something to decode encoded sound formats like Dolby Atmos. Does anyone have a recommendation for a head unit?
I would go with a Marantz AV processor, simply because modern Marantz sounds great IME and seems to be implemented correctly. They also have a three-year warranty.
 
If you already have a system and enough power amps the Emotiva MC-700 is worth checking out. I have a UMC-200 and am considering moving to the MC-700. It has 6 HDMI inputs and is 4K/HDR compatible. The UMC-200 has 4 HDMI inputs and is not 4K or HDR ready. Oh, they have a 5 year warranty.
 
After reading through this thread I am thinking that I may need to upgrade from my Sherbourn pre/pro.....
 
Back
Top Bottom