• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

surround sound setups

satkinsn

low end audio
Subscriber
All -

I did a lousy job asking this question a couple weeks back, and with your forbearance, I'd like to try again.

Aside from your two channel system(s), do you run a multi-channel system?

If so, what?

And is it a 'music' system or a 'movie' system, in the way you think of it, have it tuned, etc.

Do you run it with or without a sub? Why?

And most important, is your multi-channel system part of your two channel system, or vice versa, or not at all?

I'm really, really curious about how much overlap there is between two channel fans and folks who like multi-channel music, or movies, or both.

s.
 
Register to hide this ad
There's been a similar thread started today. Can't find it though. I run both separately. I've got a fairly nice sounding 2.0 setup and a GPC (Grey Plastic ****) 5.1 'setup', Philips HTS3100.
 
I have 2 separate systems in my main listening room. The 2.1 in my sig for music and a 5.1 Yamaha AV receiver and Polk Audio speakers and sub for TV and DVD. I hardly ever watch movies, but I use the HT system for music DVD's, but in Direct Mode (2.1). I don't like music in multi channel. I also have a third sytem in the back of the room for my laptop. It's stereo and also has a CD player and tuner. I use subs in both main systems because I love the extra bottom octave that cannot be reached without them.
 
Last edited:
vc - Do you play music thru' your 5.1 much? How's it sound? Do you have a lot in organizing the speakings, checking delays, those sorts of things?

Dave - IIRC from other threads, you've got decent stereo equipment. Do you think the difference in your HT setup is that you're playing dvd-a?

tks,

s.
 
I have always maintained separate 2-channel and HT systems. The HT system also serves secondary 2-channel music use. It includes a sub to reproduce the low frequencies which the wall mounted mains cannot deliver. I use an Onkyo AVR as preamp. It has movie and music modes, which I select accordingly.
 
Great question! I have attempted to design my main system to be good for both purposes.

My Yamaha RX-V2090 receiver has a couple of things going for it, including discrete analog inputs for front/centre/rear channels and separate pre-outs for its different amplifier sections. My Pioneer SACD/DVD-A player has corresponding 5 channel analog outs so I let it do all of the decoding and the Yamaha just amplifies the signals. That takes care of my multichannel audio/home-theatre listening.

To achieve quality stereo playback, I use the Yamaha's front pre-outs to feed a Yamaha M-65 power amp, usually running in Class A mode. I have yet another separate Yamaha preamp (CX-630) that I use as a phono preamp. The big Yamaha receiver runs the centre and surround speakers and the M-65 runs the front speakers and subwoofers. The subwoofers work in stereo so they're on all the time, when wanted.

Lastly, I use a timbre matched set of Energy Connoisseur speakers for my surround setup, and dual subwoofers to round it all out. I'm biased, but I think that it all sounds pretty freaking good!
 
I have 2 separate systems in my main listening room. The 2.1 in my sig for music and a 5.1 Yamaha AV receiver and Polk Audio speakers and sub for TV and DVD. I hardly ever watch movies, but I use the HT system for music DVD's, but in Direct Mode (2.1). I don't like music in multi channel. I also have a third sytem in the back of the room for my laptop. It's stereo and also has a CD player and tuner. I use subs in both main systems because I love the extra bottom octave that cannot be reached without them.

Your HT system - when you listen in direct mode, is it 2.1 through two speakers and a sub or 2.1 pumped thru' all five. (I'm assuming the former.) Do you just use the surrounds for occasional movies and tv?

tks,

s.
 
I have a big two channel system that happens to be able to do surround very well. Music has always been the priority with me.

I use the Krell processor in pre amp mode with the two Bryston 3B SSTs driving the double EPI 201s as the stereo. The Velodyne sub is wired between the pre amp and the power amps so it it part of that system, crossed at 40.

If I turn on the front and rear channel power amps, switch the Krell to 5.1, I now have my surround for watching movies.
 
To achieve quality stereo playback, I use the Yamaha's front pre-outs to feed a Yamaha M-65 power amp, usually running in Class A mode. I have yet another separate Yamaha preamp (CX-630) that I use as a phono preamp. The big Yamaha receiver runs the centre and surround speakers and the M-65 runs the front speakers and subwoofers. The subwoofers work in stereo so they're on all the time, when wanted.

Lastly, I use a timbre matched set of Energy Connoisseur speakers for my surround setup, and dual subwoofers to round it all out. I'm biased, but I think that it all sounds pretty freaking good!

First, I hear nothing but good about Energy speakers, from the bottom of the line up. I'll bet it sounds great.

Second, do you ever feel like you're missing something, when you run pure two channel playback? Do you ever want to engage one of the Dolby processors that (supposedly) recovers some otherwise unused ambience from cds?

tks,

s.
 
I have a big two channel system that happens to be able to do surround very well. Music has always been the priority with me.

I use the Krell processor in pre amp mode with the two Bryston 3B SSTs driving the double EPI 201s as the stereo. The Velodyne sub is wired between the pre amp and the power amps so it it part of that system, crossed at 40.

If I turn on the front and rear channel power amps, switch the Krell to 5.1, I now have my surround for watching movies.

You don't miss having actual, physical rear/side speakers?

s.
 
First, I hear nothing but good about Energy speakers, from the bottom of the line up. I'll bet it sounds great.

Second, do you ever feel like you're missing something, when you run pure two channel playback? Do you ever want to engage one of the Dolby processors that (supposedly) recovers some otherwise unused ambience from cds?

tks,

s.

I run 7.1 for music sometimes (with speakers designed to be mains at all locations except the center channel) but I don't use any of the dolby stuff, unless it is actually encoded in multichannel (DVD concerts for instance, then I will upconvert to 7.1 from 5.1) I run "multi channel stereo" on a higher end onkyo receiver. I prefer that sound over plain stereo, but if I had a listening room set up, I am not sure that it would be worth it.
 
I run "multi channel stereo" on a higher end onkyo receiver. I prefer that sound over plain stereo, but if I had a listening room set up, I am not sure that it would be worth it.

Why do you prefer 'multi-channel' stereo to plain? I'm guessing a lot of folks would argue that multi-channel stereo is some kind of weird mutation of stereo as it's intended. I'm not one of them, but I'm curious about what extra gets picked up that makes the hassle/expense/WAF issues worth dealing with.

s.
 
The way I see it, sound is sound and a well-setup system should be able to handle whatever sound I want it to. Processing aside, the only difference between 2, 5 or 7 channels is the number of speakers being fed.
 
Why do you prefer 'multi-channel' stereo to plain? I'm guessing a lot of folks would argue that multi-channel stereo is some kind of weird mutation of stereo as it's intended. I'm not one of them, but I'm curious about what extra gets picked up that makes the hassle/expense/WAF issues worth dealing with.

s.

Yes, the general consensus is that for 2 channel sources, multichannel is an abomination. However, I have a large room to fill, with vaulted ceilings, awkward furniture, and irregular openings. I find running a couple of extra pairs of speakers helps. If I close my eyes, I do not notice the additional speakers, and everything has been calibrated electronically with a microphone. Using any of the real "surround" processors, such as dolby, etc, even those designed for music, ruins it, IMO. The one exception is I sometimes use an "Orchestra" setting for quartets.

So, in general, I agree that for 2 channel sound, most of the upconverters suck. I also think, that if I took the trouble, money, and time to build a room designed for the purpose of listening to music, the additional speakers would probably not be used. However, I have found the multi channel stereo patch to my liking, and I do not feel that it degrades the music. Again, I am runnning full band speakers everywhere, which have all been calibrated specifically for the current set up.
 
One good (IMO) 2 channel system (see my sig) with surround added.

For 2 channel I use the gear in my sig. For surround/MC I run my preamp in bypass mode.
All surround/MC sources are connected to a Lexicon MC-8. I run two more ESL's and a dual sub in addition to my 2 channel gear when playing surround/MC sources. No center channel speaker. I use phantom mode.

All my gear is in a dedicated room. Unless the source material is surround/MC it's strictly two channel.
 
Last edited:
Our "main" system is located in the living room and is the primary TV/movie/video game rig. It is 7.1 but I built it to adeptly handle stereo listening should the need or whim arise. This is accomplished with a pre/pro that is just as adept at two-channel as it is HT & MC via good build & design and a 'bypass' mode, and outboard amps that separate the main L/R from center & surrounds.

When listening to music on this rig it's almost always in stereo, the only exception being party/backgound music that gets pumped out in 7-channel stereo. It's able to fill the room better at lower levels to accomodate conversation.

I always have the dedicated 2-channel rig in the basement for serious stereo playback.
 
I have both. Like others I don't like to mix the two together. I tried integrating the two together once before and didn't like the end result. If I want music then I'm in the listening room/studio or in the master bed. When I want movies I'm in the living room HT.
 
I have both also. My 2 channel is just music. Really loud music! The 5.1 is for whatever. 15" 3 ways in front 12" 4 ways for the rear. No sub needed!
 
For the moment, I have one system that is a 2 channel system with a center channel and surround channels added. I listen to music in Logic 7 mode on the Lexicon.

I'm looking into putting together a separate 2 channel system sometime in the future.
 
Back
Top Bottom