• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sweet Jazz Vibes (vibraphone)?

Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I've got some listening to do!!

- Woody
 
Steve Nelson is also worth checking out.

He is on many of Dave Holland's Quintet and Big Band recordings, unfortunately they are on ECM and not available on TIDAL.

Joe Locke is another great vibes guy and he is on TIDAL.


 
Stephon Harris - Evolution, Black Action Figure, and New Directions.

I found some others recently that were too abstract for me, notably, with Jackie Terrason.
 
Last edited:
giants-ap45-1.jpg




Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants (PRLP 7150)
​
Performers
 
Another Gary Burton classic, Morello kills on this record and the other two dudes aren't too shabby either:

IMG_0479.JPG
 
I've been listening to Steve Reich's "Music for 18 Musicians" lately, which uses the [metallophone]; in this case, an unplugged vibraphone so that the motor driven valves are not spinning.
Another favorite of mine is Eric Dolphy's "Out to Lunch" with Bobby Hutcherson on "vibes". Very cool.
 
I have spent the evening listening to Jay Hoggard... and liking it!

I am sort of thinking a good musician on the vibes provides a lot of information about the quality of one's audio gear. The subtlety of the attack and decay of the vibrophone is wonderful to experience on a decent system.
 
Back
Top Bottom