• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SX-737 Filter caps and Bleeder resistor

I finally found some at Mouser 10000uf 63 volt, they are 40mm x 80mm. They are a bit taller but should work good. Mouser part # 647-LKG1J103MKN
 
Two entirely different functions.


2. Bleeder RESISTOR: discharges the main cap continuously.
MY biggest like about permanently installed bleeders, is when power is turned off, the big caps are discharged FLAT and KEPT that way.
Without them, the output stages are expected to drain them, but somewhere along the shutdown sequence the output stages STOP operating and some charge remains, lurking to bite.

The most destructive consequences for me have been in the NSA amps, like the SX-3900 etc... during troubleshooting.
So as a personal consequence I carefully ADD bleeder resistors to those units.

What value bleeder resistors do you add to the SX-3900? I didn't see a reply to that question in this post.
 
What value bleeder resistors do you add to the SX-3900? I didn't see a reply to that question in this post.

already answered in post #3.

Bleed resistors. Pioneer typically used 3.3K 2W or 3W resistors to bleed the charge off the caps at power-down.

Some amps/receivers bleed the charge off nicely without them, and some need help, so the resistors are added. With few exceptions, if the original design used them I'd put them back if the caps are replaced. I keep a supply of 5.6K 3W resistors around just for this purpose.
 
Back
Top Bottom