• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Synergisitics Model S-62A speakers - WOW!

Thanks GeeDee. It has been a ton of fun reading and researching everything. And everyone here has been really helpful so far.
-Willie
 
Krosya,
I can't wait to get my receiver up and running, just bought all of the required/needed components for a complete rebuild, now I just need them to get here and the time to build it all up.
-Willie
 
Great to see this thread. Today I picked up a pair of Synergistics, not the 62A but the S-42 at the local GW for $19.99 [down from the original $39.99]. I've been listening to them for a few hours. I've run everything from Hilary Hahn to Wayne Shorter to Bob Marley, Rush and the Stones through these things and am very impressed. I'll be keeping these.

They stack up well with the ADS L400, Advent 3 and AR28b I hooked up to compare with [they are smaller bookshelves of course]. They seem relatively easy to drive with a modern Yamaha TSR-7790. Certainly easier than the Advent 3. Then again a herd of wild elephants is easier to drive than the Advent 3.

Researching I saw some mention of Synergistics being white van and 'value leader' speakers. I'm not sure about that, I also found a Stereo Review from Dec of '78 on the americanradiohistory site that gave the top-of-the-line S-92 a decent review. It retailed for $2000 in '78 which calculates to over $7700 in 2018 dollars [page 64].
 
Definitely not "white van"! (Although there could have been "white van" clones of this line.) Nothing wrong with value! Nice find on the review.
 
I keep telling you all - these are some great speakers! as good as some vintage RTRs ( often they used same drivers from what I read).
 
I keep telling you all - these are some great speakers! as good as some vintage RTRs ( often they used same drivers from what I read).

Because of my experience with the S42 I'm looking at a pair of S52a I found on craigslist. Of all the collection of speakers I have these seem to be the ones I enjoy most. There's also a pair of RTR 180D for sale. They look like beasts at 70lbs each!
 
Virgil - the shock of seeing the cover art from All things Must Pass in color blows my mind (if only in a small way). Not able to focus on your post at all...
 
I keep telling you all - these are some great speakers! as good as some vintage RTRs ( often they used same drivers from what I read).

A pair of these followed me home last night when looking at some other equipment. They are still in their original boxes. Looking forward to hearing them.


BFF498A0-A3C1-4D1E-AB73-A2C35F25D547.jpeg
 
I just realized these were actually never opened. I had opened one of the boxes last night. The other is still sealed with box staple intact.
I bought them from the original owners son who didn’t know anything about them.
 
I just realized these were actually never opened. I had opened one of the boxes last night. The other is still sealed with box staple intact.
I bought them from the original owners son who didn’t know anything about them.
Wow, that's surprising. I would love to find something made by RTR like those new in box.
Would love to hear your thoughts on how they sound. What do you plan on pairing them with?
 
Let me start from saying that I am in no way any expert when it comes to stereo equipment. I try different things as they come up, read a lot here and other places and learn from all this. I never had any experience with real "Hi End" stuff, but by now I have managed to put together a few decent systems that I'm pretty happy with, as well as I have a couple of friends with the interest in audio stuff, so I can say that I have hears a few different sets of speakers and amps/receivers.
A couple of months back I was helping my very good friend to put a system together and we came across a pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers in good condition at a good price. He purchased them and when we got them to his home I was very impressed with them. I read a lot of good things about these, but hearing them in person made me understand why these speakers are so popular and highly praised. I am very happy for my friend and even was a bit jealous (in a good way) , but I didnt have a budget for KG4s anyway, yet decided to save up and find me a pair as well.
Meanwhile I came across a pair of Synergistics S-62A speakers in fair condition and very cheap. While there is not that much info on them here or other places, I decided to give them a try. And I am so glad I did!
These speakers sound wonderful. Full rich bass, superb mids and great highs - and this is at all controls set to 0 (bass and treble). Adjusting those or adding equalizer makes these speakers sing even better. I tried them with 3 different amps so far and they sound good with all of them! Even my little Akai 20WPC amp drives them easy and everything sounds sweet! And as far as sound goes - to my ear they sound somewhat similar to KG4 speakers. Not the same - as speaker design is completely different, but that what they remind me most of. To the point - I dont crave Klipsch anymore and these Synergistics were originally planned to be my basement workroom system (thats where I have them now) will be moving to one of my main systems either replacing Advents Heritage or JBL CF120's.
While I dont know for sure, but my research indicates that these have some connection to the famous RTR speakers and use Alnico magnets in their woofers and tweeters. Mids, I think, were made in Europe some place - Belgium or something. Not sure about the Supertweeter. Here are some pics:







So, I'd say if you come across a pair - I really think they are worth considering. I would also like to hear from people that do/ or have had experience with these speakers or brand.

Let me start from saying that I am in no way any expert when it comes to stereo equipment. I try different things as they come up, read a lot here and other places and learn from all this. I never had any experience with real "Hi End" stuff, but by now I have managed to put together a few decent systems that I'm pretty happy with, as well as I have a couple of friends with the interest in audio stuff, so I can say that I have hears a few different sets of speakers and amps/receivers.
A couple of months back I was helping my very good friend to put a system together and we came across a pair of Klipsch KG4 speakers in good condition at a good price. He purchased them and when we got them to his home I was very impressed with them. I read a lot of good things about these, but hearing them in person made me understand why these speakers are so popular and highly praised. I am very happy for my friend and even was a bit jealous (in a good way) , but I didnt have a budget for KG4s anyway, yet decided to save up and find me a pair as well.
Meanwhile I came across a pair of Synergistics S-62A speakers in fair condition and very cheap. While there is not that much info on them here or other places, I decided to give them a try. And I am so glad I did!
These speakers sound wonderful. Full rich bass, superb mids and great highs - and this is at all controls set to 0 (bass and treble). Adjusting those or adding equalizer makes these speakers sing even better. I tried them with 3 different amps so far and they sound good with all of them! Even my little Akai 20WPC amp drives them easy and everything sounds sweet! And as far as sound goes - to my ear they sound somewhat similar to KG4 speakers. Not the same - as speaker design is completely different, but that what they remind me most of. To the point - I dont crave Klipsch anymore and these Synergistics were originally planned to be my basement workroom system (thats where I have them now) will be moving to one of my main systems either replacing Advents Heritage or JBL CF120's.
While I dont know for sure, but my research indicates that these have some connection to the famous RTR speakers and use Alnico magnets in their woofers and tweeters. Mids, I think, were made in Europe some place - Belgium or something. Not sure about the Supertweeter. Here are some pics:







So, I'd say if you come across a pair - I really think they are worth considering. I would also like to hear from people that do/ or have had experience with these speakers or brand.
I realize this post is from 2016 and here it is 2024. I just picked up a pair of the S- 62A speakers for $10 for the pair. These things are incredible. I am definitely not an expert on speakers, but I do know what I like. These things are a bit rough with one mid-range speaker needing a dust cap. They have a Tweeter on each side as well as the one on front. I hooked them up to my Sony STR 6055 amp (40 watt). These things can get very loud and the bass is awesome. Did I mention that I've been a bass player for 50 years. Love that bottom end sound. The only thing I'm upset about is that I paid $100 last week for a really nice set of audio dynamics ADC 303AX speakers. They sound great, but they don't come close to these synergistics. If you find a set of these, don't pass them up. The only negative is that they weigh a ton.
 

Attachments

  • 1718306577859716799099749345594.jpg
    1718306577859716799099749345594.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 3
I realize this post is from 2016 and here it is 2024. I just picked up a pair of the S- 62A speakers for $10 for the pair. These things are incredible. I am definitely not an expert on speakers, but I do know what I like. These things are a bit rough with one mid-range speaker needing a dust cap. They have a Tweeter on each side as well as the one on front. I hooked them up to my Sony STR 6055 amp (40 watt). These things can get very loud and the bass is awesome. Did I mention that I've been a bass player for 50 years. Love that bottom end sound. The only thing I'm upset about is that I paid $100 last week for a really nice set of audio dynamics ADC 303AX speakers. They sound great, but they don't come close to these synergistics. If you find a set of these, don't pass them up. The only negative is that they weigh a ton.
Nice score. They are nice speakers and fun to listen to. I have several pairs of RTR speakers. (Manufacturer of Synergistiic). They are among my favorites.
 
Back
Top Bottom