• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

System Synergy Equation

Wasn’t it Linn (a maker of expensive turntables, not speakers) who, back in the 1970s, first advocated for spending as much or, actually, more on your source as on your speakers (“Garbage in—garbage out” thinking), throwing the first wrench into the 50-75% on speakers/25-50% on everything else equation? Hmmmm.

Of course that was back during a time now lost to us—a time when power cords were permanently attached to each component, a time before expensive room treatments, cable risers, power conditioners, hospital-grade outlets, $four- and $five-figures speaker wire, ICs, and PCs—back when, after you bought a stereo, the salesguy merely counted up how many RCAs you needed (threw them into a bag), and then cut two lengths of 18 gauge brown (sometimes clear) speaker wire (off a roll in the back room), to the length you requested, and added those to the bag—all free of charge.

Simpler times?

After 50 years in this hobby, I’ve thrown the whole percentages-spent table out the window. I’ve traded in $6500.00 components for $500.00 ones—because the less-expensive ones sounded better to me in my system. I believe, to a point, in harmony or synergy or whatever you want to call it. But it’s really rarely just about money spent. Even after you think you’ve achieved “Synergy, sometimes on some material through some sources—it disappears. It’s elusive. Something’s missing. It just ain’t there anymore. But synergy ain’t always there in my marriage, either. Depends on the day, the material, the volume, my mood, the source.

Eventually—after I add up all that’s come and gone—I feel like I end up spending 110% on each and every component in my stereo. Do the math.

I also ain’t done chasing better sound—better synergy, more harmony, more whatever. And I know, given the time and resources, that I’ll make a lot more costly mistakes before I’m dead. That’s just part of the trip.

Synergy or bust!

Party on!
 
Last edited:
Some lively discussions going on here. Let's keep it civil.

Personally, ignoring the room and room treatments is a big miss for me. A bad room or poorly set up room can overshadow many of the differences a person might or might not hear from changing out gear or cables used in the system.
 
Personally, ignoring the room and room treatments is a big miss for me. A bad room or poorly set up room can overshadow many of the differences a person might or might not hear from changing out gear or cables used in the system.
Agreed. The room is the first component in your system. I also think that the first question one should ask himself/herself isn’t: What’s my budget?; but, instead: What is the size (W x D x H) and qualities/other uses/purposes of my listening room?

From what I understand from dealers, too often the people who are unhappy with their stereos have bought speakers they like rather than speakers/and/or appropriately matched components ideal for their listening rooms.
 
I think for me, it's closer to 65% speakers, 15% amps 14% sources, 3% room, 2% accessories and 1% cables. That said, I've DIY-ed a lot of my setup, so there's a gap between cost and value in some instances.
My formula was just a rule of thumb purchasing new equipment for a system. I wish I had the money to purchase a completely new system, top to bottom... :D
 
My formula was just a rule of thumb purchasing new equipment for a system. I wish I had the money to purchase a completely new system, top to bottom... :D
I started from scratch, almost 3 years ago. I did a lot of DIY, a lot of bargain hunting and even more research to build my system. I had a few false starts early on, mainly using AVRs and not finding synergy, but by and large, I’ve had excellent results. I had a windfall in the form of a small inheritance from my mother, with whom I’d had a contentious and traumatic relationship with. I decided to honor her memory with a nice system, as the few fond memories I have of her were with regard to her love of music and her above average stereo she got after her divorce.
 
Wasn’t it Linn (a maker of expensive turntables, not speakers) who, back in the 1970s, first advocated for spending as much or, actually, more on your source as on your speakers (“Garbage in—garbage out” thinking), throwing the first wrench into the 50-75% on speakers/25-50% on everything else equation? Hmmmm.
I would never sell my current 50-year-old speakers. Next on the never list would be my turntables.

Everything else, maybe...

SWEATING (SMALLEST 1).jpg
 
Actually, if you read Stereophile Magazine there is discussion of those who prefer to bring the venue into the room rather than transport the room to the venue, and this is what I do.

I use no room correction or treatment either electronic or physical. Sure you can hear the room, but it provides an ambiance and makes the singer sound like they are actually there.

 
Using "harmonious" is definitely a great alternative. In fact I might even replace synergy with harmonious from now on when I'm speaking to fellow enthusiasts just so people don't ask me "What the heck is synergy?"
When I think of synergy, what comes to mind is assembling a system that works together to emphasize the sonic criteria most important to the buyer. There are different aspects of sound: pace, rhythm, dynamics, timbre, low colouration, soundstage width/depth, instrument localization, etc., etc. How important each of these criteria are will vary by listener, and different designs of gear will handle some of those criteria better than others.

Many years ago when I sold audio gear (just part-time in a small specialist shop), the most important aspect to customer satisfaction was helping them determine which aspects of audio gave them the most pleasure, then helping them assemble a system that matched their priorities and domestic setting, and that was within their budget. Even expensive equipment doesn't do all things well, and the customer who loved a VPI turntable with VTL amplification and Vandersteen speakers had different priorities than the one who ended up with gear from Linn, Naim, and Epos.

Then again, maybe what I'm thinking of is better described as components simply being complementary.
 
Then again, maybe what I'm thinking of is better described as components simply being complementary.
Yes. It's what makes a woman pretty in one's eyes. The right boxes are all checked. Boxes that, by themselves, don't add up to an attractive female.

It usually doesn't take much time to reach a verdict. :idea:
 
Last edited:
Of course it's subjective. I don't buy my gear to please you. I might hate a combo you love or vice versa. I've gone down many rabbit holes over the years. More successes than failures, but often things I grew tired of. I thought they were great, until they weren't
It's always been that way for me too. I could never be content with the same gear for decades. A new component or two always helps revive the hobby when I start to get a little bored with it.
 
That's the nice thing about building your own speakers/crossovers. You can strive for a certain sound, or change the sound if you get bored. It keeps the hobby fresh.

Change a resistor by a couple tenths of an ohm or a cap by a couple mfd (tenths of an mfd on tweeters) and the effect is a WHOLE LOT MORE DRAMATIC than changing out a set of expensive cables.
 
Last edited:
Synergy is magic. Once you've found it, you will 'hear it and feel it' immediately. It's a ' WoW ' moment.

Everything is just right.
Done.
 
Don't forget the room. Also the fact that how one uses a given component and optimises, or fails to optimise, the individual elements has a huge bearing on the final preceived result.

A random gathering of decent components might elicit a better end result in the hands of a very experienced system assembler, than highly regarded components in the hands of someone who has no clue how to utilise and optimise superior components. Synergy is sum of all of the individual elements including the room, Squared by the experience of the one assembling and optimising the system.
 
Back
Top Bottom